• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mylars where do you get them

70 posts in this topic

Just wondering where people get their Mylars from when living in Canada.  I contacted E Gerber and the shipping and duties they quoted more than doubles the price on 100 mylars and full back boards

Edited by Diaolos

I would recommend your local comic book shop, the thing of it is you're going to pay either way.  For my newer books I store them in silver age size bags and boards as I find the modern sized bag and boards lead to corner chipping.  If you really need on line try Amazon and sign up for Amazon Prime to kill the shipping costs. I've included a link, although I think Mylar Bags are over kill.  

https://www.amazon.ca/BCW-Supplies-Silver-Comic-Mylar/dp/B000JFKSOE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3V7EP4FZDLUYX&dchild=1&keywords=mylar+comic+book+bags&qid=1604939762&sprefix=mylar+%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-1

-RKSM

15 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Just wondering where people get their Mylars from when living in Canada.  I contacted E Gerber and the shipping and duties they quoted more than doubles the price on 100 mylars and full back boards

I’m in Australia and had the same experience on price thanks to shipping. The gentleman who sold to me (has passed now sadly) was asking me if I was sure I wanted to proceed... but I am glad I did - they look as good as they did on day one and I probably won’t have to think about re-bagging them in my lifetime. 
Cheaper bags are a false economy. 

This thread will help you size:

Check out @HOTFLIPS website for stock. 

19 hours ago, StumbleBum said:

I did not know that you reside in Canada. Pardon me, yes I did as it states such in your post.

I live in MD and since E. Gerber is located in Baltimore, MD, I pay shipping cost and sales tax; depending on the state they reside in, many USA residents now also pay both. I have never inquired as to whether I may collect my order at their office since I calculated long ago that between my time, gasoline, wear and tear on my vehicle, etc., I save money by paying the cost of shipping.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

22 hours ago, StumbleBum said:

Only if you don't like saving time, money, and your comics ;)

Ok Skippy, how about we look at this logically?  

Ask yourself "How long do you realistically expect to keep your comic collection?" 150 years? Well good luck with that Methuselah most of us will be lucky enough to hang on to our collections for a few decades before passing them down to children who will probably sell it off for pennies on the dollar. 

My point is you don't need most of your comics to have museum quality bag and boards.  Polypropylene bags are common and are the cheaper option for common books, very rarely will they need to be replaced if you provide proper storage.  I would recommend saving the mylar for key issues if you don't have them CGC'd. For the rest check in on your older books and replace the bags/boards if you feel it's needed. 

-RKSM  

On 11/8/2020 at 9:05 PM, Diaolos said:

BC resident here, I order from Dark Age Comics in Ottawa. As long as you aren't buying boards the shipping isn't insane.

15 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I live in MD and since E. Gerber is located in Baltimore, MD, I pay shipping cost and sales tax; depending on the state they reside in, many USA residents now also pay both. I have never inquired as to whether I may collect my order at their office since I calculated long ago that between my time, gasoline, wear and tear on my vehicle, etc., I save money by paying the cost of shipping.

Just for  your future reference, yes, you can pick them up at their location. I did that one time when I was going to the Baltimore Comic Con, and stopped on my way.

21 hours ago, RedKSuperman said:

Ok Skippy, how about we look at this logically?  

Ask yourself "How long do you realistically expect to keep your comic collection?" 150 years? Well good luck with that Methuselah most of us will be lucky enough to hang on to our collections for a few decades before passing them down to children who will probably sell it off for pennies on the dollar. 

My point is you don't need most of your comics to have museum quality bag and boards.  Polypropylene bags are common and are the cheaper option for common books, very rarely will they need to be replaced if you provide proper storage.  I would recommend saving the mylar for key issues if you don't have them CGC'd. For the rest check in on your older books and replace the bags/boards if you feel it's needed. 

-RKSM  

Changing bags, especially when you are doing it in large quantity is when you are most likely to damage your books.

This is bad advice.

2 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Changing bags, especially when you are doing it in large quantity is when you are most likely to damage your books.

This is bad advice.

Bad advice???  LOL That is amusing...So lets examine what you're proposing as "good advice" then.  You're suggesting that every book in a collection have a Mylar bags which is unnecessary and pointless from a microeconomic point of view.  The reality of comic collecting is that roughly 98% of a collection will be comprised of common books that will not increase significantly enough to justify the expense of a Mylar Bag. Most common books increase in value maybe $1 more than the cover price in a decade. So you want to invest $0.72 on Mylar bag to protect it for a significant return that is unrealistic to expect?  Then you have to figure in your storage costs as  well as opportunity cost and you've basically reduced your chances for a positive return on your investment to Nil. Quite simply, it doesn't make practical sense to store your comics in Mylar bags unless it is a key issue or has already has an increased value. 

Now as for the possibility of damaging your collection when you're reboarding which is very rarely required and is more a personal preference.  Yes, it is possible that accidents can occur however I would assume that since you're a collector that has identified the need to bag and board your collection you would already be exercising a level of adequate care as well as attention to avoid damaging your books.  Unless you're planning on eating your lunch while you're doing the task the risk for damage should be minimal.  So I will reiterate my advice that Mylar bags are a waste of money for common comic books.  Use that money for other aspects of the hobby that you enjoy. 

-RKSM 

13 minutes ago, RedKSuperman said:

Bad advice???  LOL That is amusing...So lets examine what you're proposing as "good advice" then.  You're suggesting that every book in a collection have a Mylar bags which is unnecessary and pointless from a microeconomic point of view.  The reality of comic collecting is that roughly 98% of a collection will be comprised of common books that will not increase significantly enough to justify the expense of a Mylar Bag. Most common books increase in value maybe $1 more than the cover price in a decade. So you want to invest $0.72 on Mylar bag to protect it for a significant return that is unrealistic to expect?  Then you have to figure in your storage costs as  well as opportunity cost and you've basically reduced your chances for a positive return on your investment to Nil. Quite simply, it doesn't make practical sense to store your comics in Mylar bags unless it is a key issue or has already has an increased value. 

Now as for the possibility of damaging your collection when you're reboarding which is very rarely required and is more a personal preference.  Yes, it is possible that accidents can occur however I would assume that since you're a collector that has identified the need to bag and board your collection you would already be exercising a level of adequate care as well as attention to avoid damaging your books.  Unless you're planning on eating your lunch while you're doing the task the risk for damage should be minimal.  So I will reiterate my advice that Mylar bags are a waste of money for common comic books.  Use that money for other aspects of the hobby that you enjoy. 

-RKSM 

It is because of collectors like you that my high grade books are worth more.

The amount of books printed each month assures most of them will lose money

The amount that are destroyed over the years assure that those that are stored well won’t lose money

Carry on, those who prepare salute your short-sightedness

Edited by NP_Gresham

On 11/8/2020 at 10:05 PM, Diaolos said:

I'm also in Canada and yes, it's very expensive to ship mylars and boards from the US to Canada.  Price per mylar and for shipping comes down if you order more.

Generally unless I'm buying a great deal I buy them from local comic shops.  One LCS has a 50% Christmas sale and I buy every mylar they have.

51 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

It is because of collectors like you that my high grade books are worth more.

The amount of books printed each month assures most of them will lose money

The amount that are destroyed over the years assure that those that are stored well won’t lose money

Carry on, those who prepare salute your short-sightedness

Alrighty then...You're going to believe what you want to believe regardless of me breaking down the cost and return reality of collecting comics to you.  As an investment collecting comics is quite possibly the worst one anyone can make. I wouldn't recommend collecting if you're not enjoying it outside of a possible monetary gain.  Go buy McDonald's stock online, it provides a steady return and even pays dividends. 

-RKSM