• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mylars where do you get them

70 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RedKSuperman said:

Alrighty then...You're going to believe what you want to believe regardless of me breaking down the cost and return reality of collecting comics to you.  As an investment collecting comics is quite possibly the worst one anyone can make. I wouldn't recommend collecting if you're not enjoying it outside of a possible monetary gain.  Go buy McDonald's stock online, it provides a steady return and even pays dividends. 

-RKSM

Your break down, breaks down under scrutiny.

Re-bagging and lowered grades is an expense, unless you think your time is worth nothing.

Your books will degrade and lose money compared to doing things right.

Perhaps those who rate Mylar as archival quality, should just store historical documents as you suggest.

8 minutes ago, RedKSuperman said:

You're going to believe what you want to believe regardless of me breaking down the cost and return reality of collecting comics to you.  

-RKSM

If you saved all that money, perhaps you should consider buying some candy for the trick or treaters next time around

17 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Your break down, breaks down under scrutiny.

Re-bagging and lowered grades is an expense, unless you think your time is worth nothing.

Your books will degrade and lose money compared to doing things right.

Perhaps those who rate Mylar as archival quality, should just store historical documents as you suggest.

-To rebag and board a comic only doesn't lower the grade of the book unless you're incredibly careless. Very rarely will the comics require this if they are stored properly which makes the practice of rebagging a personal preference rather than an absolute necessity.

-You're assuming that every comic book in your collection is worth a perfect preservation, they are not. It's nice to have a nice collection but the return on common books doesn't  justify the initial cost of what you deem "Proper Storage" 

-As I said identified Key issues or older issues that have already acquired value should be stored in Mylar or slabbed if possible but even then a cost/return ratio should be considered.  

-We're talking about comic books here, not the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Just to keep things in the proper perspective. 

Edited by RedKSuperman

9 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

If you saved all that money, perhaps you should consider buying some candy for the trick or treaters next time around

You'll excuse me if my concern for preventing the spread of Covid-19 gets in the way of celebrating Halloween for one year... 

2 minutes ago, RedKSuperman said:

-To rebag and board a comic only doesn't lower the grade of the book unless you're incredibly careless. Very rarely will the comics require this if they are stored properly which makes the practice of rebagging a personal preference rather than an absolute necessity.

-You're assuming that every comic book in your collection is worth a perfect preservation, they are not. It's nice to have a nice collection but the return on common books don't justify the initial cost of what you deem "Proper Storage" 

-As I said identified Key issues or older issues that have already acquired value should be stored in Mylar or slabbed if possible but even then a cost/return ratio should be considered.  

-We're talking about comic books here, not the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Just to keep things in the proper perspective. 

Your point was money vs preservation.

Mylar is proven to offer better preservation and the money saved is negated by time spent rebagging - which I assume time is worth something.

If you are all about cheap, get the TPB

Just now, NP_Gresham said:

06784A9A-F9AF-4D8F-A26B-38FCFAB51E99.jpeg

With what we are being told about Covid-19 changing almost daily, why even risk your own health and that of children?  Much easier to spend some quality time with your own children doing activities that will be special to them instead of another Halloween similar to what has been done in the past.  I don't know about you but this past Halloween was much more enjoyable than previous ones because my family did something different and more personal for our own children.  

14 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Your point was money vs preservation.

Mylar is proven to offer better preservation and the money saved is negated by time spent rebagging - which I assume time is worth something.

If you are all about cheap, get the TPB

-My point was regarding allocation of resources, is every book in your collection worth the initial investment? No, they are not. Not every book has to be mint condition as the demand of the market simply will never be there. 

-Mylar is over kill.  150 years from now no one be willing to pay big bucks for a common book that isn't noteworthy for some reason. As for time, collecting comics is a hobby that the time invested in it should be part that you enjoy, sometimes bagging, boarding, cataloging isn't a chore. 

-Saving money on unnecessary Mylar bags for commons allows you to spend that money on larger ticket items. (Ex: Art works, Statues, Signature Series CGC) 

-RKSM  

Edited by RedKSuperman

2 minutes ago, RedKSuperman said:

-My point was regarding allocation of resources, is every book in your collection worth the initial investment? No, they are not. Not every book has to be mint condition as the demand of the market simply will never be there. 

-Mylar is over kill.  150 years from now no one be willing to pay big bucks for a common book that isn't noteworthy for some reason. As for time, collecting comics is a hobby that the time invested in it should be part that you enjoy, sometimes bagging, boarding, cataloging isn't a chore. 

-Saving money on unnecessary Mylar bags for commons allows you to spend that money on larger ticket items. (Ex: Art works, Statues, Signature Series CGC) 

-RKSM  

Posting the same nonsense over and over does not make it true

Mylar is over time cheaper and the books last longer

Your logic is flawed. But I don’t think your desire to have the last word is going to persuade anyone.  So have at it 

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

So many people are saying so many incorrect things this week.

Think of all the fun I've missed

Think of all the things that I haven't guessed

Next year I could be just as good, if you'll check off my Christmas list! :tink:

PS anyone have bingo?

3 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Posting the same nonsense over and over does not make it true

Mylar is over time cheaper and the books last longer

Your logic is flawed. But I don’t think your desire to have the last word is going to persuade anyone.  So have at it 

-You seem to lack logic or understanding of what I've said to you.  Mylar is overkill.  You don't need your books to last 150 years.  The market just isn't there and more importantly you'll be dead so it won't matter. 

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You've already been corrected. Why would I bother trying to reason with someone unreasonable?

-You were given an opportunity to make your case and add to the conversation, you choose to forgo that opportunity. That's on you. 

Just now, RedKSuperman said:

-You were given an opportunity to make your case and add to the conversation, you choose to forgo that opportunity. That's on you.

You have been given an opportunity to make your case, and you have already been spanked.

Why would I contribute redundant data that you're just going to ignore? That's on you.

5 minutes ago, RedKSuperman said:

-You seem to lack logic or understanding of what I've said to you.  Mylar is overkill.  You don't need your books to last 150 years.  The market just isn't there and more importantly you'll be dead so it won't matter. 

for the sake of your point, I hope you're right. What I can't get past? IS LCS sells their comics in mylars, but when I buy a new comic on "new comic day" and ask for a bag and board

It's polybags they give me and a board for 25 cents.

I mean I have them at home, but more because I don't buy that many raws. Other than bin diving at used bookstore or whatever, most everything these days is in a mylar anyway when sold....

SO I guess I'm really not complaining but, new comic day :pullhair: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM