• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mylars where do you get them

70 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

#PolypropyleneRevolution

Look it, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful and you can disagree with me if you want, whatever it's your collection you can do what you want. However when you chime in on a thread and then refuse to give follow up information when engaged in the thread.  That sort of defeats the purpose of a discussion board.  

-RKSM 

Just now, RedKSuperman said:

Look it, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful and you can disagree with me if you want, whatever it's your collection you can do what you want. However when you chime in on a thread and then refuse to give follow up information when engaged in the thread.  That sort of defeats the purpose of a discussion board.  

-RKSM

It's not a matter of disagreement. You can have your own opinion, but you cannot have your own facts. Another member has already given you factually correct information, which you have promptly disregarded. Why would I contribute the exact same message when you didn't listen the first time? His messages are concretely here for you to re-read.

My contribution: You're wrong, you've been told you're wrong once, and I am here to tell you that you're wrong a 2nd time.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's not a matter of disagreement. You can have your own opinion, but you cannot have your own facts. Another member has already given you factually correct information, which you have promptly disregarded. Why would I contribute the exact same message when you didn't listen the first time? His messages are concretely here for you to re-read.

My contribution: You're wrong, you've been told you're wrong once, and I am here to tell you that you're wrong a 2nd time.

-I never disputed that Mylar bags last longer, they do. However the disagreement was if it was worth the initial investment to purchase them for every comic book in your collection. It simply isn't the case.  

-It was also stated that rebaging comics somehow damages comic books, unless a person is careless that is false. 

-polyurethane comic bags are "good enough" for most comic book collectors for common books with replacement if deemed necessary by the collector. 

-I disagree with your contribution.   

12 minutes ago, RedKSuperman said:

-I never disputed that Mylar bags last longer, they do. However the disagreement was if it was worth the initial investment to purchase them for every comic book in your collection. It simply isn't the case.  

-It was also stated that rebaging comics somehow damages comic books, unless a person is careless that is false. 

-polyurethane comic bags are "good enough" for most comic book collectors for common books with replacement if deemed necessary by the collector. 

-I disagree with your contribution.  

If your collection is all from the 20th century, or you want bags that you'll never have to change, then yes it is the case.

Re-bagging comics has a potential damaging factor that does not exist when you do not have to re-bag your comics.

They're "good enough" for uninformed or misinformed collectors, yes.

Your disagreement with factual information is duly noted.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If your collection is all from the 20th century, or you want bags that you'll never have to change, then yes it is the case.

Re-bagging comics has a potential damaging factor that does not exist when you do not have to re-bag your comics.

They're "good enough" for uninformed or misinformed collectors, yes.

Your disagreement with factual information is duly noted.

-I hope wasting your money brings you increased enjoyment out of your comics 

-"Uninformed or misinformed collectors" those are judgment calls on your part. Ones that most people try to avoid making I might add. 

- Have we determined the facts or have you just decided to present your opinion as "factual information"?   

-RKSM

6 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Posting the same nonsense over and over does not make it true

Mylar is over time cheaper and the books last longer

Your logic is flawed. But I don’t think your desire to have the last word is going to persuade anyone.  So have at it 

Hang on NP

I think we all agree that mylar provides superior protection but I don't think we all would agree that mylars are cheaper for low value books.  There are many collectors who don't use mylars for common run books due to the cost and that is a very personal decision.

16 hours ago, RedKSuperman said:

-I hope wasting your money brings you increased enjoyment out of your comics 

-"Uninformed or misinformed collectors" those are judgment calls on your part. Ones that most people try to avoid making I might add. 

- Have we determined the facts or have you just decided to present your opinion as "factual information"?   

-RKSM

False. It's not a "waste of money" when I won't have to replace them.

It's a swift and accurate judgment upon those who are uninformed and/or misinformed. Intelligent people can make an easy distinction.

Everyone else has determined the facts. You're ignoring them, willingly.

13 hours ago, NoProbBob said:

Polyethylene is better! :sumo: Prove me wrong!

This is what the Google tells me:

"Polyethylene has a lower melting point compared to the higher melting point of polypropylene. ... Polypropylene is stiffer and resistant to chemicals and organic solvents compared to polyethylene. Polypropylene is pure, non-stretching and generally more rigid than polyethylene."

Does that make it better for comics? hm

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is what the Google tells me:

"Polyethylene has a lower melting point compared to the higher melting point of polypropylene. ... Polypropylene is stiffer and resistant to chemicals and organic solvents compared to polyethylene. Polypropylene is pure, non-stretching and generally more rigid than polyethylene."

Does that make it better for comics? hm

Going off on a typo correction...Comic genius. Side note 15, 556 posts in 3 years...I'm guessing you don't get out much. 

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Ad hominem is definitely a winning argument. Make your concession more obvious. /s

It was a simple observation, not a personal attack nor a  concession. 

Edited by RedKSuperman

On 11/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Keep going.

:popcorn:

Good idea, maybe that way one day I can spend all my time on here just like you. No wait on second thought I would rather still be able to see my toes. 

Edited by RedKSuperman

I get mylars from EGerber. If you have a sellers permit they discount an additional 20% off the price. It’s a great deal. I have a brick and mortar shop and any books worth more than $20 goes into a mylar bag with fullback board. I think the fullback boards are just as important as the bags. They are heavier gauge and keep books from bending. With regular poly bags you need to use multiple boards to keep the books safe. From a marketing perspective mylars are essential. They make the books look great which in turn leads to better sales 

I just order it all from ebay.  Bit the bullet.  Cost 150$ USD all in for 200 mylars and 200 Full backs.  I needed them so it is what it is.   I think Mylars are a must for protection, time saving for changing bags and the look they give