• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FED EX vs USPO
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed a difference in the two?  Recently I sent a Priority which also took a day or so longer and a FED EX that is going to take 11 days to reach the heartland from the East Coast.  The original estimate was 5 days. Has anyone noticed CGC deliveries to you from grading as slowing?   Very disappointing  but  in order to cover insurance concerns I was forced to use FED EX.  I guess from know on I will trust the Post Office that Benjamin Franklin set up. 

In my area the US Postal Service provides far superior service than do UPS, except one driver is very good, and FedEx. In fact, there are two FedEx drivers that, based on what I and my family have seen, are responsible for delivering heavy over-sized packages and at least twice in the past several months they have left packages, items we did not purchase, that were at least 6' in length and 4' in width on our front path only to return a few minutes later and collect them. Clearly, they realized they had incorrectly delivered them.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

IMO: UPS > USPS > FedEx

Exactly! UPS is far superior. We use UPS exclusively at work for shipping out bulk product. The drivers are better and the service is miles ahead of FedEx. USPS is pretty solid in my area. I have never really had an issue except when I had to go in to a branch to pick up a missed signature delivery. Those places are always a nightmare so I don’t blame the workers. 

I won a medium sized book from Comiclink two weeks ago.  Some day last week at 2:17p, I got a text from FedEx that said my package had been delivered and signed for at 2:17p.  I went to my steps and there's no package.  I looked across the street and there's the FedEx dude walking towards me with a "Sorry we missed you" note.  

I said to the FedEx dude, "You were just going to leave a note?  You weren't even going to try?"
FedEx dude says, "I knocked on the door five times.  Five times HARD!"
I said, "Dude, I was 15 feet away from the door."
FedEx dude kept repeating, "I knocked on the door five times.  Five times HARD!"

:eyeroll:

I've been having a lot of problems with Fed Ex ground. I'e been waiting on a number of packages that were late when a Fed Ex rep calls me to ask what she should do with my packages. I say -Deliver them, but she tells me the business is never open. I tell her I'm there four or five days a week from noon to five. The next day the guy shows up with 17 packages. One of them is a case of tomato sauce that is leaking all over the place. I point it out to him and he acts like he hadn't noticed. I take a photo of it and ask him to note that is was delivered damaged. 

Saturday, someone knocks on my door and asks if I am missing any packages. He lives down the block, at 615 Bisbee and someone dropped off three boxes there that are clearly labeled 214 Bisbee. They were too big for him to carry so I ended up having to go retrieve them. 

fedex ground is pretty slow and lame. fedex express service, overnight and 2 day, are great, and better by far than usps. their claims process is also much, much easier. i was paid in 2 weeks for a damaged package. tracking is reliable, unlike usps. my last usps claim took 6 months and i had to appeal for no good reason. and as we all know, priority packages routinely disappear from the system, sometimes for weeks, sometimes forever. 

I always USED to ship comics to CGC using USPS.  Then a few weeks back this happened:

SAM_3533.JPG.397d1bcc4f44b88b781a7b68967ca16b.JPG

This box containing $3k worth of raw comics got to CGC this way, and was refused.  It came back to me.  Miraculously, most did not get damaged due to double boxing, extra padding, etc.  The 10 most expensive of the 50 did get hit, so working on those.

Sending FedEx from now on.

Around here Fed Ex is pretty much a shoot.They leave packages at my work place all over the place outside and they set there overnight for anyone to steal or get rained on.They leave my sisters packages all over the place and very seldom at her house.She is pretty much a Heller and I'm pretty sure she got a couple of drivers fired.They will hire anyone.I don't have an issue at my home as I live in a different distribution area.UPS always does a good job around her.They pull out of Bristol,Tn/Va.Post Office is a little slow but pretty reliable.They will even come up my drive to deliver packages that won't fit in my oversized mailbox.

3 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I always USED to ship comics to CGC using USPS.  Then a few weeks back this happened:

This box containing $3k worth of raw comics got to CGC this way, and was refused.  It came back to me.  Miraculously, most did not get damaged due to double boxing, extra padding, etc.  The 10 most expensive of the 50 did get hit, so working on those.

This is awful. Really sorry this happened to you. Hoping you can press out the damage they created. 

Thank you for the condolences, @Motor City Rob.  It's possible that we can get most back to roughly where they were before the mishap.  Just an ordeal we could have done without - finding out by tracking that the package was refused, no info from CGC as to why (obvious now), waiting for the package to return, evaluating the damage, 2 large submittals that had to be rebuilt and modified, repairing the dings and creases, some major.  Trying to avoid going the insurance route, expecting that the creases and dings will look insignificant to those not in the biz, having to justify the claim value with comparables, etc.  A huge black hole of time involved.

I'd already forgotten abot this, but I had a package with a thousand dollars worth of merchandise get checked into the USPS facility at JFK and never check out. I was lucky enough to get a refund from the seller but he said it was happening way too much and he would not ship a replacement.

18 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

This is why I only do drop offs at conventions. also to save on shipping to CGC but mainly to remove possibly the most dangerous link in the submission chain.  COVID has kept me from doing any subs this year.  Maybe next year but TATs are going to be crazy like 1 month for a walk through, 6 months for Fast Track, and 5 years for economy.

I use both USPS and FedEx.

When shipping smaller boxes, I prefer USPS. Priority Flat Rate is great for sending stuff to the WC

If what I’m shipping won’t fit in the box without adequate protection, I will defer to FedEx

When Shipping Large Boxes I prefer FedEx. Much less expensive than USPS. 
CGC uses my Fedex account to mail my slabs to me. It’s about $20 cheaper per box than USPS costs to ship.

No delays for me on either service since the latter part of September. I have had only one lost package in the past 10 years. It was an eBay purchase, happened in September when the USPS underwent their “modifications”.

No problems since.

I never use UPS anymore. Always had damaged packages using them in the past. I think they used to play soccer with them.

Edited by djpinkpanther67