• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokemon Booster Box Grading?

41 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

Idk, it's not my cup of tea, either, but it does help give the market credibility.  We're seeing more fraud in Pokemon related stuff, and that's not good for individual cards or boxes alike.  The repacked 1st edition base box that that bald headed insufficiently_thoughtful_person tried to flip to the investor for nearly 400k is a pretty significant example of something that undercuts the market confidence.  Like it or not, these pieces of cardboard are a commodity to some, and that impacts everyone.  Ripple effects of fraud cause issues all the way down to PWE trades, as folks look for ways to game PayPal's policies and stuff like that.  The grading services help buttress that up; it's why there's value in encapsulating the art.  You might not see a closed, sealed box as art, but there are people who do.  I'd think even if you're a no-greed personal collector only, you benefit from things like authentication much more than you might realize.  I personally flip some cards for profit so I can buy the cards that I like, which I will hold and collect until I don't like them as much as they are worth (i.e, I hope they rise in value so that my personal utility flips and I make a profit, but I will enjoy them for the time being).  

Let's not conflate authentication with grading. In the context of this conversation, authentication makes sense. "Grading" doesn't.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Let's not conflate authentication with grading. In the context of this conversation, authentication makes sense. "Grading" doesn't.

You might want to talk to some booster box nerds.  They get riled up over plastic seals and crisp edges, lol.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Authenticating them seems normal to me. "Grading" them is what makes literally no sense.

I personally see no reason why one could not "grade" a box on many of the same metrics as a single card. Are the corners in good shape? Is the coloration on par for what it is supposed to be? Is the surface scratched, dented, or otherwise marred? Is the box creased in the correct locations or is the art off-center? The way I see it, many of the same applications for single card or booster pack grading could, with relative simplicity, be applied to entire booster boxes. There may not be an accepted set of criteria that a box has to meet right now to receive a grade, but that does not mean that it couldn't or shouldn't happen. Ultimately, it comes down to what people find inherently worthwhile from an archival and collectible perspective. It's the same reason graded video games exist, to try and preserve a piece of culture and history.

2 minutes ago, WillsTCG said:

I personally see no reason why one could not "grade" a box on many of the same metrics as a single card. Are the corners in good shape? Is the coloration on par for what it is supposed to be? Is the surface scratched, dented, or otherwise marred? Is the box creased in the correct locations or is the art off-center? The way I see it, many of the same applications for single card or booster pack grading could, with relative simplicity, be applied to entire booster boxes. There may not be an accepted set of criteria that a box has to meet right now to receive a grade, but that does not mean that it couldn't or shouldn't happen. Ultimately, it comes down to what people find inherently worthwhile from an archival and collectible perspective. It's the same reason graded video games exist, to try and preserve a piece of culture and history.

With 100% certainty, it shouldn't happen.

Graded video games are a joke, so that is an apt comparison.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You want someone to grade the condition of a box? I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

It does because the market is rampant with fraud.  Depending on the box it could be worth around $400k so having it graded and/or authenticated is worth its weight in gold.  I'm not sure boxes are done yet but I'm in the process of having a bunch of base unlimited booster packs graded.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You want someone to grade the condition of a box? I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

Well, with an Unopened box of Booster Packs, prices can vary significantly, especially if someone is buying for INvestement purposes.  As with Cards, a Box that is still sealed in Plastic can be "worth" significantly more than a Box that Has been opened and/or damaged...

An Unopened box of First Edition 1999 Boosters recently sold at auction for just shy of $200k ..

I was just wondering if anyone offered grading for them...

5 minutes ago, WillsTCG said:

I agree with this.  I think its just as important to grade and preserve these boxes.  I don't know the exact number but I've heard there are less than 75 unopened first edition boxes left.  I'm not sure if its even possible to know that but in my opinion certainly worth authenticating.

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

It does because the market is rampant with fraud.  Depending on the box it could be worth around $400k so having it graded and/or authenticated is worth its weight in gold.  I'm not sure boxes are done yet but I'm in the process of having a bunch of base unlimited booster packs graded.

I've already replied in response to the conflation of 'authentication' with 'grading'.

2 minutes ago, lordofthedeepend said:

Well, with an Unopened box of Booster Packs, prices can vary significantly, especially if someone is buying for INvestement purposes.  As with Cards, a Box that is still sealed in Plastic can be "worth" significantly more than a Box that Has been opened and/or damaged...

An Unopened box of First Edition 1999 Boosters recently sold at auction for just shy of $200k ..

I was just wondering if anyone offered grading for them...

There's nothing wrong with wondering. The idea of grading a box that hold packages, in which the packages hold the product, is just clearly asinine regardless of whether or not it exists. I'm not trying to grind your gears over your question. You'll never receive an answer if you do not ask.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:46 AM, WillsTCG said:

I suppose, but some companies grade booster packs because people enjoy collecting sealed packs. Seems to me like the whole box is just the next logical step.

Ah, then the next logical step after that is for some companies to grade the cellophane wrap on the boxes that contain the booster packs that contain the Pokemon cards.

Can't wait.

7 hours ago, namisgr said:

Ah, then the next logical step after that is for some companies to grade the cellophane wrap on the boxes that contain the booster packs that contain the Pokemon cards.

Can't wait.

Followed by grading the shipping box that contains the 6 boxes for the booster boxes (or 10 now) that contains cellophane wrap on the boxes that contains the booster that contains the packs?

3 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Followed by grading the shipping box that contains the 6 boxes for the booster boxes (or 10 now) that contains cellophane wrap on the boxes that contains the booster that contains the packs?

Why stop, make sure they grade the printing presses that made the cards.  lol

On 11/10/2020 at 8:46 AM, WillsTCG said:

I suppose, but some companies grade booster packs because people enjoy collecting sealed packs. Seems to me like the whole box is just the next logical step.

Ya I collect vintage Pokémon booster packs from 96-99 and they have shot up in value now a days so ya maybe they do booster boxes somewhere but I have never heard of such a thing 🤔 

On 11/10/2020 at 8:12 AM, Ron Churches said:

You might want to talk to some booster box nerds.  They get riled up over plastic seals and crisp edges, lol.

Interesting conversation no doubt. However, this part about plastic seals and crisp edges does not determine the value of the card box right? I agree that it is more about authenticating that the box and packaging is original - to whatever degree of certainty can be determined by "experts."

In the end, it is the contents that matter in the case of booster boxes. 2c

17 hours ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

I just sent 10 vintage packs(base-team rocket) to get "graded" at psa. Mostly to protect and authenticate. In my opinion authentication is good, but giving a numerical grade to the wrapping is stupid. 

I hope they were all light.