• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supercool Atomic Age Comic Book and Record Set (by Noel Sickles?)
1 1

42 posts in this topic

This is a poster by Noel Sickles that makes me think his hand (or at least great influence) is present in the portrayals of machinery in The Atomic Revolution comic book which is also high contrast and very clean.  My supposition is also based on the fact that Sickles had done work for the US Air Force in 1955 and General Dynamics was one of his clients at points during his advertising career:

Amazon.com: Wartime propaganda poster Navy Day October 27 1945 A Strong  Navy Guarantees Peace Buy Bond Poster Print by unknown (24 x 36): Posters &  Prints

Other examples of Noel Sickles from around the time period of The Atomic Revolution includes these:

Sickles129

product_image.php?imageid=49590

Westfield Comics

Another reason I think Sickles may have been involved, beyond his relationship with Copp, is this piece that sold at an auction of men working on an Atomic plant:

Men at atomic power plant by Noel Sickles on artnet

Why was he drawing Nuclear plants?  

But it is all a guess.

Edited by sfcityduck

17 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

My older (by 36 years) brother John C, the same soul who would drive me up from San Diego to Cherokee Books, worked at Convair down there, which was a branch of General Dynamics. I've had this 4" plastic cube forever...

convair.JPG

What a great little memento!

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

You guys may not be impressed by this, but I am:

1856193428_IMG_0702(1).thumb.jpg.ea98baa3d81aa592670d7b7f02d6c6eb.jpg

The autograph of the father of the Hydrogen Bomb and the great rival to Oppenheimer the father of the A-Bomb.

That's a very impressive artifact!  I've read a fair amount about the development of the atomic bomb and much of the testing and innovation that followed.  Teller is often referred to as the father of the Hydrogen Bomb but that doesn't mean he came up with it.  My understanding is that he saw the idea and became a fierce advocate of dramatically increasing yield.  And he was extremely good at political maneuvering.  From everything I've come across, his ambition left a bunch of casualties in it's wake.

8 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

That's a very impressive artifact!  I've read a fair amount about the development of the atomic bomb and much of the testing and innovation that followed.  Teller is often referred to as the father of the Hydrogen Bomb but that doesn't mean he came up with it.  My understanding is that he saw the idea and became a fierce advocate of dramatically increasing yield.  And he was extremely good at political maneuvering.  From everything I've come across, his ambition left a bunch of casualties in it's wake.

Don't get me wrong.  Teller was a ... less than thoughtful person.  I'm on the Oppenheimer side of the debate.

Edited by sfcityduck

15 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Likewise!  Doesn't take away from how cool this little set is!  It's the sort of thing that I'd be really proud to own.  (thumbsu

Well ... I certainly love it!  But, I understand others may not quite be as into a giveaway promotional comic on the atomic revolution whose art is b&w or single color.  My love isn't hurt one bit that I've convinced myself that Noel Sickles or someone equally skilled is the actual artist of this thing (I think Sam Citron may have been more the editor).  After all, look at this image!  The hair, the rolled up sleeves, and the grass! This is a frigging masterclass on deep contrast art:

IMG_0715.thumb.jpg.74fa48cad00b6373aabd9c87278f7af7.jpg

Pat, thanks for the likes.  I've beein filling in the holes on my CBM collection and getting nice feedback from you is gratifying.  I try to tell interesting stories or bring to light cool unknown things, as CBM's writers used to do.

Edited by sfcityduck