• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art in the strangest places
2 2

49 posts in this topic

In 2019 Joe Satriani had to change the cover art for his album Surfing With The Alien. Marvel licensing fees were too costly. Also my understanding was that John Byrne received no credit or compensation for the use.

FFF7C7B3-2C49-4DCD-A51E-067411120C8C.jpeg.72b0b8ba977a6d18b64a11d6ed24b389.jpeg

I always admired that art and was surprised to learn the musician felt no correlation of his album  concept to the Silver Surfer.

Never the less, I thought this might be an opportunity to talk about comic art appearing in the strangest places.

Album Covers

Films?

Museums

Restaurants

Garage sales

pawn shops

wherever you came across original art or a comic image (poster, cover) that started as original art.

There's a lot of flexibility to approach this thread. Like with this album cover.

Who owns the original John Byrne Art?

Where have you seen ComicArt where you didn’t expect to see it.

Think of this thread as an artists rough layouts. It’s a guide but I need your help taking this somewhere informative and fun.

Run with it.

🍇 🦍 

3 hours ago, grapeape said:

In 2019 Joe Satriani had to change the cover art for his album Surfing With The Alien. Marvel licensing fees were too costly. Also my understanding was that John Byrne received no credit or compensation for the use.

That's just silly. Unless he thought when he released it that it would go out of print, why would he get a license he had to renew with a variable fee?

But certainly no reason for Byrne to get compensation, when you make the work or hire the company does what they want with the image.

I wish I had seen this with my own eyes, but back when grafitti on subway cars was a competitive sport (think 1976), famously someone had tagged an entire car with "GET DOWN AMERICA" and the huge Bernie Wrightson portrait of Howard the Duck. 

Couldn't find it in google images, but here's a consolation prize - taken from the cover of HTD 20, I think?

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 8.19.36 PM.png

And Robert Sean Leonard tries to seduce Chloe Sevigny by showing off his Carl Barks original art in The Last Days of Disco, which someone seems to have screenshot: http://perusingcomics.blogspot.com/2014/09/67-last-days-of-disco-1998.html

If she was unimpressed it might be because they seem to be color guides.

67 - disco03.jpg

John Romita Sr. 1972 Rockomic Album poster 22 1/4 x 22 1/4 professionally framed. My first visit to a small record store in Southern California paid dividends.

I went through hundreds of records and found myself in the very back of the store. I found this poster taped (egads!!) to the wall out of site. I inquired and was told by a store employee it was the owners and he  would never sell. A phone call and $40 later made the poster mine.

This poster came inside a Spider-Man album released in1972. I remember the album and poster from my childhood. I just never see this poster anywhere so I had it framed. Ok. I know. Poster. From a record. Found in record store. What’s so strange?

I love records grew up with them. Been to so many record stores in my life. I just never see this poster so it was great to discover it.

1528DB52-FB1C-4257-B296-3F4E52F291EE.jpeg.9196d86be3c3f8b525a0555f1b1a214c.jpeg

Two come to mind...

If you watch No Way Out (1987), there is a scene where Kevin Costner visits Iman's apartment (may have it backwards)...in any case, in that scene there is Barry Windsor Smith art from the Cygnus portfolio on the wall - not strictly comic art...BWS also did the art for a 1973 re-issue of The Byrds Preflyte Album

Cover of the 1973 Columbia Records reissue. Art by Barry Windsor-Smith

7 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Two come to mind...

If you watch No Way Out (1987), there is a scene where Kevin Costner visits Iman's apartment (may have it backwards)...in any case, in that scene there is Barry Windsor Smith art from the Cygnus portfolio on the wall - not strictly comic art...BWS also did the art for a 1973 re-issue of The Byrds Preflyte Album

Cover of the 1973 Columbia Records reissue. Art by Barry Windsor-Smith

BWS has done art for a menu for a restaurant near him, I remember seeing in on his website.

Maybe more comics than comic art, but Fringe the TV Show in universe B comics were "fine art" and displayed on the walls of one of the characters apartments.  One of the covers is on CAF

(just found the other one is there too and added it)

Alternate Fringe: Comic Books From Over There ~ Fringe Television - Fan  Site for the FOX TV Series Fringe

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=731831

FRINGE JLA by Chuckdee on DeviantArt | Comic art, Art, Comic books art

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=783877

Crisis On Infinite Earths #7 cover from FRINGE, in Allen Richardson's  Carlos D'ANDA Comic Art Gallery Room

Edited by Pete Marino

The Intro to the movie "Gentleman Broncos" is a collection of well known pulp and sci-fi magazine art, the actors and creators names replacing the original cover logos. My favorite is the Freas Analog cover (I think many of them are Analog covers the more I think about it).

Heres a link if you want to watch it for yourself.

GBroncosExample.jpg

Broncos.jpg

15 hours ago, RBerman said:

In the current Netflix hit series "The Queen's Gambit" there are a few scenes set in an early 1960s drug store. It has a magazine rack and a comic book spinner rack. The spinner rack (as you can see in freeze frame) is stuffed with anachronistic comic books like Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine. (There is a Hot Stuff as well, which might be era-appropriate depending on the issue.)  In a subsequent scene set months later, the same comic books are still there.

For that matter, they should have included an issue of Checkmate. :nyah:

418473._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

... but I digress.