• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT Original Color evaluation?

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I don't really collect comics but came across a cool piece the other day from Eastman and Laird's studio. Original color for issue #39, which was published in '91. I don't plan on letting it go since it's one of those one-of-a-kind things you don't find every day and my kids will probably love it some day. Still curious what you all think.

20201112_222904.jpg

20201112_223021.jpg

20201112_222936.jpg

20201112_223708.jpg

Thanks! I honestly don't know if multiples were done, but I checked the tones in the watercolor against the images of the cover I could find online and it's a spot-on match, I'd be super impressed if there was more than one of these things! It even has all the rough strokes on the back of the board where the artist was testing the brushes or laying out the palette... which is just a total trip to see. The acetate overlays have the line work on one layer, and then the date and prices on another, with tracing paper over that to make final edits. Not having much exposure to pre-digital commercial printing, this was a side of the comics I'd never got to enjoy before.

That swamp thing separation sounds awesome, love to see a picture sometime.

Edited by Troubledpanda