• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live November 2020 - Who's Selling?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

First, I'm really glad to move pieces and sell to collectors who want them.

That said, I'm doing about as much as I expected. Not many sales, nothing high ticket, which corresponds with my lack of panel pages in my inventory compared to the first show. A good indicator was that I sold nothing during preview. I sold two pieces during the second hour of the public showing, and one later in the evening. Of course, I'm hoping move at least one more piece tomorrow.

I sold 9 out of 24 pieces today which I thought a good %.  I appreciate all the people checking out the booth and hearing from a lot of friends out there.  I think part of the secret is pricing - you have to price below what dealers would be asking.  It helps to challenge yourself and ask "would I buy this piece if I saw it at this price?"   

As I'd like to sell more items before the end of the show... I just lowered the prices on almost all of the remaining items from today.  Take a look here: https://www.comicartfans.com/comicartlive/Booth.asp?bid=57.

And, I'll have 24 more new "lower priced" items tomorrow.  

8 hours ago, Dayzen said:

Sold one piece. Looked at some other great pieces. Hopefully sell a few more tomorrow. 

If anyone wants to take a look, I have Bruce Timm, Hughes, Granov, Conner, and some other pieces.

Im under : A little of Everything!!!

Feel free to make an offer or trade. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/comicartlive/Booth.asp?bid=237

Love the Hughes Phoenix.. just can not convince myself to buy it! good luck

I've lowed the prices in my booth, too. 

Pen and Brush Comic Art

If I'm reading the numbers right, late last night there were only 247 pieces sold out of 2,867. That's only 8.61% of the stock sold. This morning the number of sold art ticked up to 265, so a few sellers woke up to some buys. That represents 9.24% of stock sold. Of course there's a margin of error because there's some auction house advertising with their art marked as sold. That's still about 90% of art not selling. I represent 0.1% of sales. Hoo-ya!

1 hour ago, John E. said:

I've lowed the prices in my booth, too. 

Pen and Brush Comic Art

If I'm reading the numbers right, late last night there were only 247 pieces sold out of 2,867. That's only 8.61% of the stock sold. This morning the number of sold art ticked up to 265, so a few sellers woke up to some buys. That represents 9.24% of stock sold. Of course there's a margin of error because there's some auction house advertising with their art marked as sold. That's still about 90% of art not selling. I represent 0.1% of sales. Hoo-ya!

John -  I was one that woke up to a couple of sales this morning so I'm approaching 50% of the items I listed from day 1.  Thanks to those that contributed to that.

I think I calculated that ~12% of the items in previous CAF sale sold.   I actually thought that was pretty good.  If you go to a live convention, what % of the original art in the room actually sells?  I'd doubt it's higher than 10% as many of the bigger dealers ship home the art they bring.  I'd think the sell through % is because of the focus on presenting "fresh" art and because it's coming from both collectors and dealers.  

Crazy, but I was sleeping in and a fellow CAF member tipped me off about an early Y page. Swooped in and picked it up. Stuck around and after some searching found an Aparo Batman cover from the early 80's (#331) with Sportsmaster firing off exploding hockey pucks (and a Newton Robin back-story).  Didn't know the Batman/hockey/Newton triangle could be achieved! Realized it would be on a dealer site at 60% higher in a month and I'd beat myself up every time I saw it, so pulled the trigger.  

17 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Crazy, but I was sleeping in and a fellow CAF member tipped me off about an early Y page. Swooped in and picked it up. Stuck around and after some searching found an Aparo Batman cover from the early 80's (#331) with Sportsmaster firing off exploding hockey pucks (and a Newton Robin back-story).  Didn't know the Batman/hockey/Newton triangle could be achieved! Realized it would be on a dealer site at 60% higher in a month and I'd beat myself up every time I saw it, so pulled the trigger.  

NiceGrab! I know @AnkurJ was looking at the Aparo cover yesterday

1 hour ago, comiconxion said:

John -  I was one that woke up to a couple of sales this morning so I'm approaching 50% of the items I listed from day 1.  Thanks to those that contributed to that.

I think I calculated that ~12% of the items in previous CAF sale sold.   I actually thought that was pretty good.  If you go to a live convention, what % of the original art in the room actually sells?  I'd doubt it's higher than 10% as many of the bigger dealers ship home the art they bring.  I'd think the sell through % is because of the focus on presenting "fresh" art and because it's coming from both collectors and dealers.  

You've done really well, Chuck!

You're absolutely right about the sell through %. I think in my deep subconscious I am hoping to sell more than 3 pieces (so far) but 3/20 pieces actually outperforms the convention so far!

The show is amazing, there was actually too much art if that’s possible. Lots of nice stuff and lots of reasonable prices. A few Silly people added a couple extra zeroes to the end of a few prices, but those are cool as they give me a good laugh.There are a dozen or so things still available(not marked sold) that I am kind or surprised have not sold yet. I bought one thing yesterday and debating on a couple more.

1 hour ago, comiconxion said:

Yeah, Chuck you had some pieces that were definitely new to me ;) 

I did see some stuff that's been offered before in what I was looking at, but were hardly new or priced to sell. I just stayed away from it.  I'm generally of the philosophy that if I have the money and I am in the market at the time, I buy what I can.  Lots of stuff you just know you won't have the opportunity to pick up again. 

3 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Congrats! I made an offer but we couldn’t agree on it. 

18 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Congrats! I made an offer but we couldn’t agree on it. 

I'm from a hockey family, and I still play and my daughter plays. So even though its a once-off villain, that cover image hits a lot of marks for me. Will frame it up and it will sit on my office wall. 

Bob

55 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

I'm from a hockey family, and I still play and my daughter plays. So even though its a once-off villain, that cover image hits a lot of marks for me. Will frame it up and it will sit on my office wall. 

Bob

Glad it went to a good home 😊

I thought ComicArtLive was awesome with entertaining panels and an amazing diversity of art for sale.  Thanks to all the folks who visited my booth and chatted during the show.  Congrats to my lucky buyers-- I appreciate your business and know you'll enjoy your new art!  (thumbsu 

Best, Dino

2077593889_Nov15SOLD.jpg.fb480a4e1420c89e77e3034434855b71.jpg

24 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

I thought ComicArtLive was awesome with entertaining panels and an amazing diversity of art for sale.  Thanks to all the folks who visited my booth and chatted during the show.  Congrats to my lucky buyers-- I appreciate your business and know you'll enjoy your new art!  (thumbsu 

Best, Dino

2077593889_Nov15SOLD.jpg.fb480a4e1420c89e77e3034434855b71.jpg

Congrats on your sales Dino, you had some great pieces. 

I'm pretty happy with my sales so far and more importantly, my sales finally exceeded my purchases :bigsmile:

Since there was extra room in Sunday I added stuff that I would only sell if it met a certain price and glad some sold.  Guess the bulk of the unsold ones will go to comiclink for me

Malvin