• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about a defect

11 posts in this topic

Recently broke into a long box of x-men 1991 series, had all the variants I could get my hands on back in the day. Came across this issue with #54 Prism edition, has what look to be fractures in the cover along the top and bottom. Is this damage from being boxed or is this a production issue with the heavier cover?

1113201718a.jpg

1113201719.jpg

Was bagged and boarded in a long box, use heavier boards .040, packed snuggly in the box

Just never seen bends along the edge like this, very well could be damage, but its a first for me presenting like this

So then the question is, since it very well could be a mfg defect, I haven't personally looked at other issues, but I don't see this repeated on others I've seen pics of. SO its likely not a regular occurrence. This kill the potential for a 9.0+ on this book? Its pristine otherwise.

Edited by BG82

On 11/17/2020 at 10:59 AM, BG82 said:

So then the question is, since it very well could be a mfg defect, I haven't personally looked at other issues, but I don't see this repeated on others I've seen pics of. SO its likely not a regular occurrence. This kill the potential for a 9.0+ on this book? Its pristine otherwise.

Not necessarily. I have a book with a similar defect that still graded a 9.2. But it all depends on how the graders evaluate it...

On 11/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, BG82 said:

If the occurrence happens on every single copy, CGC is sometimes lenient with how they grade the particular book.  You can see examples of this with oversized Marvel modern books that all have corner binding tears, yet many copies with these tears are certified as 9.8.

In your case, I emphasized the part that matters here.  If this is not a likely occurrence, then your grade would likely get docked.  The fact that it's pristine other than this defect may save your 9.0+ grade, but my guess is that it will definitely bring it down in some manner.  How much weight they put on this defect is the real question.

FWIW, my personal copy does not have those fractures.

x-men54-1.thumb.jpg.e887082520e97a69e1de429e51d3f8bc.jpg

x-men54-2.thumb.jpg.52b8655a7033048b49ee22acacb22c00.jpg