• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil #1 (1964)
2 2

24 posts in this topic

I'm afraid to touch this one

Really nice presenting book 

Rust has migrated onto pages and makes it difficult to grade as the covers are so clean

I'll put my reputation on the line and risk never being able to get a job as a grader for CGC...:insane:

Looking at the first three pictures I though I was looking at a NM copy of one of my favorite SA key books! Still wondering how those staples got so rusty on a NM looking copy.

Deductions for rusty and migrating staples on a otherwise very high grade SA key comic should be interesting, I'm guessing 4.5 but hoping CGC will go 5.0 in this case.   

And the verdict is ...

"COVERLESS. (COVER IS A COLOR COPY.) Staples replaced."

Bought it raw from someone I didn't know, should have known better. Basically a forgery, I'll keep it around as a valuable lesson lol. 

On 11/23/2020 at 2:08 PM, SNiPER said:

Looking at the first three pictures I though I was looking at a NM copy of one of my favorite SA key books! Still wondering how those staples got so rusty on a NM looking copy.

Deductions for rusty and migrating staples on a otherwise very high grade SA key comic should be interesting, I'm guessing 4.5 but hoping CGC will go 5.0 in this case.   

Yes. And why that isn't the original placement for the original factory stapling, or the original staples. 

1 hour ago, laremy said:

And the verdict is ...

"COVERLESS. (COVER IS A COLOR COPY.) Staples replaced."

Bought it raw from someone I didn't know, should have known better. Basically a forgery, I'll keep it around as a valuable lesson lol. 

Absolutely. Two sets of staple holes, and other staple inconsistencies. Well, listen here, if it's any consolation at least one good thing has come of this: 

welcome.gif

1 minute ago, Funnybooks said:

The book just "felt" off. The covers are so clean and the rust happened to just migrate onto the pages.

I love the fact that you "felt" that something was wrong. But I like to back it up with evidence as well...

In this case, there are some pretty compelling visual clues:

1) Of course the rust on the pages (but not on the cover) is instantly suspicious, but the staples themselves don't appear to be rusty (to make those kinds of stains, the staples should be extremely rusty). They also don't appear to line up with the original holes in the paper and at the centerfold they don't look correct. It looks to me like the existing staples have been artificially manipulated. So my conclusion would be that those aren't the original staples, either.  2)  If we look carefully at the cover, it appears to have been trimmed in an effort to match it up with the interior. Not a bad job, but it's pretty obvious it doesn't match up that well. So then the question becomes whether or not it's a married cover or a color copy. From the color copies I've seen, I've never seen one which could reproduce the dot matrix pattern with any real clarity. In fact, the person that created this deception probably didn't even care about that, but it's a very important clue. A quick check with a loupe would have confirmed this. In addition, modern paper simply doesn't have the same look or feel that vintage paper does---there are subtle yet noticeable differences between the two.  3) Then comes the question of why someone would go to this kind of trouble to deceive a potential buyer---I've seen books that make you wonder. In this case, of course it's the profit potential, which is what it's all about...  (tsk)

1 hour ago, laremy said:

Nope, raw from a dealer. I could go back and complain, but I'll probably just avoid the place from here on out. 

I strongly urge you to get your money back. Any dealer worth his salt should have been able to tell this book had been tampered with. And if they couldn't tell, then they need to educate themselves on the differences between an original copy and one with a color copy cover or have it professionally graded. Ignorance is no longer bliss. Kudos to you for sending it to CGC; I'm just sorry this is the result...