• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MyComicShop... Ask no questions about any of my 507,000 listed items
3 3

183 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Off Panel said:

James J Johnson: Complains he can’t ask questions of a seller on eBay.

The Boards: Tell him ten ways to contact the seller to ask questions directly AND how to buy the same books for less money,

James J Johnson: Continues to complain about not being able to contact the seller on eBay.

It's ridiculous 

22 minutes ago, kav said:

This.
To answer questions would be a business mistake.  They would have to hire several guys whose only job was to constantly walk back and forth to the warehouse and vault, take notes and pics and field questions so they could sell like one $5 book per every 100 questions.  This is paying several employees to make like $5 per hour, all day, every day, all year-a financial disaster.  
Every business has to make decisions on how much customer service they can provide without shooting themselves in the foot with a shotgun.
You might say well yeah but some of the questions will lead to a $5000 sale!  Yes but guess what-they will still sell that $5000 book anyway.

You take your logic elsewhere mister!  

2 minutes ago, NoProbBob said:

Yeah, I'm sure MCS is lamenting the loss of someone who owns one short box after selling off their comics the past 7 years :screwy:

I’ve decided to go down to 1 short box because I’m only buying high grade grails, smart .

So if they don’t want my business shopping for several thousand dollar books, then good 

1 hour ago, kav said:

It boils down to this:
"I dont like how you do business"
"We're ok with that"

That’s kind of my perspective as well. 

They know exactly how they have things developed to operate and I’m sure they are doing exceptionally well. 

It doesn’t fit with how I like to do business, and I am sure they are quite fine with that. 

1 minute ago, D2 said:

That’s kind of my perspective as well. 

They know exactly how they have things developed to operate and I’m sure they are doing exceptionally well. 

It doesn’t fit with how I like to do business, and I am sure they are quite fine with that. 

I dont sell much but I can confirm that if someone messages me about an item, that means they will not buy that item.

17 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Shouldn't have to. If you're selling on ebay, questions are a part of selling, no? If a browser has the ability to hit the BIN, he should also be able to ask a question before doing so, right? Business 101. Questions are part of purchases and typically precede them, unless you're purposefully trying to stifle sales. 

I’m curious....

What was your question?

If you are selling comics on eBay a few important questions must be answered. 

1. Is the book "unread"? Don't want no book that someone else has already paged thru.

2. Was the book purchased at an estate or garage sale? Everyone knows the books found at these type of locations are worth more.

3. Are you a professional grader AND do you believe grading is subjective? Gotta note these in the sale somewhere.

4. Would this book be grader higher if it weren't for that 1 pesky flaw i.e. color breaking subscription crease on the cover? Its important for the seller to tell you what the book would grade to if it weren't for that 1 noted flaw.

5. Lastly, are there any words in the listing that really tell you how great the book is? If "WOW" isn't used somewhere you have to ask yourself if the book is even worth selling. What about "KEY" or "MOVIE"? If this isn't the 1st appearance of say Rocket Racer then why purchase it? Plus you know if there isn't a movie connected with the book it will be worth squat somewhere down the line.

Follow these simple rules and you'll soon be an expert comic buyer on eBay

6 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

If you are selling comics on eBay a few important questions must be answered. 

1. Is the book "unread"? Don't want no book that someone else has already paged thru.

2. Was the book purchased at an estate or garage sale? Everyone knows the books found at these type of locations are worth more.

3. Are you a professional grader AND do you believe grading is subjective? Gotta note these in the sale somewhere.

4. Would this book be grader higher if it weren't for that 1 pesky flaw i.e. color breaking subscription crease on the cover? Its important for the seller to tell you what the book would grade to if it weren't for that 1 noted flaw.

5. Lastly, are there any words in the listing that really tell you how great the book is? If "WOW" isn't used somewhere you have to ask yourself if the book is even worth selling. What about "KEY" or "MOVIE"? If this isn't the 1st appearance of say Rocket Racer then why purchase it? Plus you know if there isn't a movie connected with the book it will be worth squat somewhere down the line.

Follow these simple rules and you'll soon be an expert comic buyer on eBay

Um you forgot RARE.
Saw some SA Dcs recentlyon ebay that are common as dirt but of course they were RARE.

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious....

What was your question?

Three questions about three books. One book is over $16,000, the total of all three books I was interested in was slightly over $23,000, one question was about one of the slabs, defect on the book or on the slab/well, one would have been asking for a bundle price on all three, anything he can do appreciated (since no offer options, another business strategical listing error), and the third question was for a high res scan of one corner on the $16K+ book. All what I figured are reasonable requests for more info that a buyer justifiably may ask prior to purchase to address concerns if actively looking to buy. Why would I waste my time otherwise, right? I'm looking for a reason to buy, not a reason to pass. 

Edited by James J Johnson

20200912_102428.jpg.1a5ffae2041c885529cdd5e1a72ea945.jpg

More terms left off.

RRP.

Unopened.( see also never read or sealed.) And this is referring to raw books in aftermarket bags/ boards not factory pack.

Bagged and Board.

1:100 (not referring to actually Variant)

Variant.

Hot. ( what are these flaming bags?)

ONLY 1 ON EBAY ! 

Classic.

HTF. ( see also VHTF)

Limited.

Low Print.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I dont sell much but I can confirm that if someone messages me about an item, that means they will not buy that item.

This has generally been my experience selling on eBay as well.

Also, the lower the value of the sale the higher the probability of a problem buyer. 

4 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

A5C1C03E-FC8B-4167-B50F-F3702CD93773.jpeg

I don't think it was an unreasonable expectation. Expecting one of ebay's premiere sellers, a seller that I've bought from before when a question didn't need answering, to provide the same level of customer service that most of the fly-by-night ebay sellers gladly offer, do you? After all, this was a $23,000 inquiry in total. If the seller provided that basic service, and I could ask a question, they would have known by the party asking that I was serious because of prior likewise purchases, all of them on ebay. For a regular, past buyer, standing outside of your store holding $23,000 in his hand, you should open your door, right? Whether or not he's a brat, shouldn't matter. MCS's no questions ebay policy made it impossible for MCS to know, one way or the other, if anybody was standing outside his locked store, ready to buy, with $23K in hand, brat or not. 

And now, because of that ebay non-communication policy, that brat and his $23K have set sail and will spend that money (and probably more) on the upcoming Trifecta, Heritage's, Link's, and Connect's Fall auctions instead, where questions are welcome, and addressed, like true professionals. 

Edited by James J Johnson

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I don't think it was an unreasonable expectation. Expecting one of ebay's premiere sellers, a seller that I've bought from before when a question didn't need answering, to provide the same level of customer service that most of the fly-by-night ebay sellers gladly offer, do you? After all, this was a $23,000 inquiry in total. If the seller provided that basic service, and I could ask a question, they would have known by the party asking that I was serious because of prior likewise purchases, all of them on ebay. For a regular, past buyer, standing outside of your store holding $23,000 in his hand, you should open your door, right? Whether or not he's a brat, shouldn't matter. MCS's no questions ebay policy made it impossible for MCS to know, one way or the other, if anybody was standing outside his locked store, ready to buy, with $23K in hand, brat or not. 

So you were willing to spend $23 grand on comic books in one fell swoop but not invest an extra minute of your time in trying to find an alternate contact method outside of eBay in order to try and have your questions addressed?  Especially with the knowledge the MCS is one of the biggest dealers in the country and has a huge website?  

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If I was in your position (and I'm never likely to be) there is absolutely no way I would be communicating with the seller through ebay....2c

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And now, because of that ebay non-communication policy, that brat and his $23K have set sail and will spend that money (and probably more) on the upcoming Trifecta, Heritage's, Link's, and Connect's Fall auctions instead, where questions are welcome, and addressed, like true professionals. 

James you're a good guy.  You've always posted great stuff.  You can message mycomicshop here, or on their website, or call them.  They would be overjoyed to answer questions for you.  Dont fault them for weeding out questions on ebay-you know how pointless people can be there.   

Edited by kav