• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MyComicShop... Ask no questions about any of my 507,000 listed items
3 3

183 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I agree. Their business model works for them. Their decision to nix ebay communication of any kind their decision to make. And I see that everyone here agrees that not providing a means to ask any question at all on ebay is the way to go, and I'm unreasonable to think otherwise. Unreasonable or not. That unusual ebay policy, on that day, had a price tag. A cost of at least $22.5K that I was going to offer for all three books of my interest If I were a seller, I would want to know about that thus this thread was started. Brat or unreasonable as I may be to all here for expecting communication on the venue I'm using. . 

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly is your beef with asking your question(s) via their website? I don't understand that the problem is here...like, ethics/principles? I can't imagine what else it could be, and if it IS a morality issue...just ask your question through their website, and buy through eBay

giphy.gif

Edited by Callaway29

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Someone let me know when this thread gets locked. 

This thread got locked.

Sy Syms used to say an educated consumer is our best customer.  If I'm reading this correctly, the OP has bought thousands of dollars worth of books from MCS off of ebay but never thought to look at their website, in spite of the dozens, if not hundreds of posts here praising MCS. Within minutes of his original posts, he is given numerous ways to contact them and is informed that any book on ebay is available on their site at a discount. Rather than take advantage of the discounted books, he chooses to play the martyr and pretend that MCS lost out on $23,000 in sales.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Why must you fill this forum with lies?

It's locked-we're just in double overtime.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Well technically is has not cost them anything unless you are saying that you were the only possible buyer and now those books will never sell.

In business, the money is never wrong. Those books may sell tonight, or they may be "permanent inventory", books with a long shelf life. Did you see how many Timelys are in this month's Link, Heritage, and Connect's auctions? Staggering. 

Keep one thing in mind. Its bad business not just because he lost $23K worth of sales. But because he lost paydays for his consignors!!! Yes. The consignors. What about them? They're akin to your "shareholders". If you rely on a lot of consignments, you're only as good as what you're sent to sell, right? Do well for your consignors, often, and you'll be sent more. Do well enough and maybe those consignors will pull some of their consignments from elsewhere and consign exclusively to you. I can understand MCS not really being impacted much by losing a $23,200 sale for something so darn simple, but how about the consignor of that Cap 6. He lost a payday too, right? What if that $16K would mean a lot to him. Maybe pay an outstanding bill. No. If you're a seller and accept consignents, you owe it to yourself and your consignors to facilitate sales to the best of your capability. You owe itto the people sending you product to sell to produce results, like shareholders. Not offering communication on ebay does a buiness disservice not only to them but their consignors as well. 

Man, if I owned that Cap 6, knowing that $16K wasn't coming my way because no ebay communication was made available, I'd be headed to the nearest schoolyard to play some serious handball. 

6 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Sorry if I 

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly is your beef with asking your question(s) via their website? I don't understand that the problem is here...like, ethics/principles? I can't imagine what else it could be, and if it IS a morality issue...just ask your question through their website, and buy through eBay

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Sy Syms used to say an educated consumer is our best customer.  If I'm reading this correctly, the OP has bought thousands of dollars worth of books from MCS off of ebay but never thought to look at their website, in spite of the dozens, if not hundreds of posts here praising MCS. Within minutes of his original posts, he is given numerous ways to contact them and is informed that any book on ebay is available on their site at a discount. Rather than take advantage of the discounted books, he chooses to play the martyr and pretend that MCS lost out on $23,000 in sales.

Honestly, I've never seen someone protest so vehemently in the face of being presented with multiple options that would - 1. solve the issue at hand, and 2. in all likelihood save them a substantial amount of money. 

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Honestly, I've never seen someone protest so vehemently in the face of being presented with multiple options that would - 1. solve the issue at hand, and 2. in all likelihood save them a substantial amount of money. 

As stated, on ebay, if a problem arises, you're covered. Especially if you have not gone outside of ebay to communicate and there is a complete chain of messages that can be read by agents to see who is in the right, who is in the wrong, and what remedy should be effected. That is the one saving grace about ebay

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

In business, the money is never wrong. Those books may sell tonight, or they may be "permanent inventory", books with a long shelf life. Did you see how many Timelys are in this month's Link, Heritage, and Connect's auctions? Staggering. 

Keep one thing in mind. Its bad business not just because he lost $23K worth of sales. But because he lost paydays for his consignors!!! Yes. The consignors. What about them? They're akin to your "shareholders". If you rely on a lot of consignments, you're only as good as what you're sent to sell, right? Do well for your consignors, often, and you'll be sent more. Do well enough and maybe those consignors will pull some of their consignments from elsewhere and consign exclusively to you. I can understand MCS not really being impacted much by losing a $23,200 sale for something so darn simple, but how about the consignor of that Cap 6. He lost a payday too, right? What if that $16K would mean a lot to him. Maybe pay an outstanding bill. No. If you're a seller and accept consignents, you owe it to yourself and your consignors to facilitate sales to the best of your capability. You owe itto the people sending you product to sell to produce results, like shareholders. Not offering communication on ebay does a buiness disservice not only to them but their consignors as well. 

Man, if I owned that Cap 6, knowing that $16K wasn't coming my way because no ebay communication was made available, I'd be headed to the nearest schoolyard to play some serious handball. 

James, youre one of my favorite boardies and have done innumerable service to the hobby with your knowledge, caring, and investigative abilities.  I say this as a friend-it seems more like you are tied to your argument than anything else.  As others have pointed out you can easily communicate and buy those books if you wish.  I hope you reassess and say ok well I think I went overboard here.  It happens to everyone.  It has happened to me multiple times.

9 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I never pretend. And MCS didn't really lose out. Worse than that. Their consignor did. (This is a consigned item). 

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

As stated, on ebay, if a problem arises, you're covered. Especially if you have not gone outside of ebay to communicate and there is a complete chain of messages that can be read by agents to see who is in the right, who is in the wrong, and what remedy should be effected. That is the one saving grace about ebay

mcs.png

Just now, James J Johnson said:

I never pretend. And MCS didn't really lose out. Worse than that. Their consignor did. (This is a consigned item). 

James, I’m not clear—if this is a “ship has sailed situation”, that’s cool—but if you’re interested in the comics, please let me know what your questions are and I’ll get you answers Monday. You can reply to the PM I sent you, or you can email me at conan@mycomicshop.com. 

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes, but that leaves it up to them to remedy. I like the fact that if I have a legitimate issue where something goes amiss and a seller is dragging his feet, hitting the ebay "dispute" link stops any foot dragging right in its tracks. 

Right, because PayPal and credit card issuers have no dispute resolution system whatsoever.  

I guess I just don’t understand the hair splitting going on here. If it can even be considered hair splitting.

Literally everyone whose at least a casual collector, knows mycomicshop and is familiar with their website. Yes I agree it’s a little annoying that they don’t field questions through their eBay platform, but if I have 23k to spend and I know full well they can easily be contacted via their own website and by phone, I would be far less annoyed.

Now a seller who is only on eBay and/or has an impossible to navigate  alternative Selling platform, and who also doesn’t field eBay questions would be another story.

im just not getting it.

mycomicshop’s explanation for this particular business practice seemed reasonable as well. 

im just not getting it :(

Just now, mycomicshop said:

James, I’m not clear—if this is a “ship has sailed situation”, that’s cool—but if you’re interested in the comics, please let me know what your questions are and I’ll get you answers Monday. You can reply to the PM I sent you, or you can email me at conan@mycomicshop.com. 

Again, as I've said, this is an issue that I thought you would want to know about, only because I didn't think it might affect your business, but because I have first hand knowledge of it definitely affecting it and the sale of a consignor's item(s). In this particular instance, it did happen. Non-communication policy on ebay had a definite effect. 

Many of my fellow forum members are not taking this at face value. It's a heads up. Meant to be constructive criticism. I have no issues with MCS. You're one of the few shining stars in the ebay void. I'm just reporting what happened due to a policy that may be ill conceived. Maybe not. Things work differently for different people. At that time, that policy didn't work for me because the listing was on ebay, I like the buyer protection ebay provides when on rare occassion I see something actually worth buying, and that's it.  

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes, but that leaves it up to them to remedy. I like the fact that if I have a legitimate issue where something goes amiss and a seller is dragging his feet, hitting the ebay "dispute" link stops any foot dragging right in its tracks. 

You're okay with the eBay fees plus missing out on possible discounts because you think MCS will "drag their feet" on a botched transaction every time you use them?