• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn 1 CGC10 -- Question

19 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

Can't find it and if I did I am not sure I would want to pay the freight.  Now a Spawn 1 newsstand might be a go getter. 

In the past 90 days, there have been 208 sales of CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 direct edition and 10 sales of CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 newsstand.  There's no "official data" but that works out to about 10-to-1.  The price is about 5-to-1.

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

In the past 90 days, there have been 208 sales of CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 direct edition and 10 sales of CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 newsstand.  There's no "official data" but that works out to about 10-to-1.  The price is about 5-to-1.

I definitely see a price difference between the two.  :ohnoez:

I sold a bunch of CGC 9.8's on my ebay store a few years back and just sent in a few for pressing/cleaning. Didn't do that for the others before so we will see how that works out. One has 9.9 potential after press. I'll come back for an update probably in Feb sometime.:wishluck:

On 12/8/2020 at 6:37 PM, valiantman said:

I am going to blame my error on a typo and not a math mistake.  208-to-10 would be 20-to-1, not 10-to-1. :facepalm:  That's 4.6% newsstand.

For all of 2020 (GPAnalysis.com), there were 805 copies of CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 direct edition sold and 71 copies of CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 newsstand.  That is 11-to-1 or 8.1% newsstand.

When it comes to lower grades, the percentage of newsstand is higher but the financial incentive to submit lower grade direct editions on Spawn #1 isn't really there.

Seems like a good estimate for newsstand on Spawn #1 might be 5% to 10%, and almost certainly not 1% as reported in some places.

On 1/3/2021 at 3:45 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Here’s a recent 9.9 sale. I wouldn’t be surprised if a 10.0 might break $15K-$20K, should one ever sell at auction.

BC7B1C34-5EE8-4C65-8609-1B321A0507D3.jpeg

If I would have saw that I would have paid that price for sure but I am not going to break my back for it.  I might have to look into this more.

15 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

If I would have saw that I would have paid that price for sure but I am not going to break my back for it.  I might have to look into this more.

Yeah I mean I remember when you get a 9.9 for like $1500-$2K, and I'm talking buy it now. At auction even less potentially. That was I don't know, maybe a year or two ago, maybe more before movie rumors of course. So 9.9's have definitely gone up a lot amount.

Edited by LDarkseid1

11 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

So definitely a great question. I was going to make an attempt to use the fact one is a manufacturing error while the other is a printing error, but I’m not 100% sure the difference here lol. I do believe the one that received a green label was less intentional, where as the black one is simply a different version or variant of the original. Like how there’s also the gold and white cover variant. But yeah, I’ll wait for someone who knows with certainty as I’m just guessing.

Known printing problems which occurred for a portion of a print run - such as Venom Lethal Protector 1 Black Cover Printing Error - are given blue labels because they are recognized problems that affect a portion of the books.

Random errors that occur during printing (let's face it, EVERY print run has some kind of random errors, ink differences, alignment problems, missing staples, whatever) are copies of books that should be just like all the other copies but "Qualified" (green label) in the CGC grading because they have some difference that isn't recognized as a known portion of the books... just known as a random occurrence.

At some point, for some books, CGC would begin to recognize that the same "random" problem has occurred enough to be recognized, but up until that point, the books would be Qualified green.