• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live
2 2

72 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

If confirmed, this is pretty relevant info . Would need more detail  to judge as to whether positive, negative or neutral ....

I'm definitely not using any of the "purchase price" etc. features anymore in case he has access to that data.

2 hours ago, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Really?  I missed that one completely.  But then again, I used the search function (which was also awesome) to only focus on interior pages, splashes and covers.

But thanks for the info!  Now I’m curious who the artist was for that Baroness commission.

As I recall, I saw it on day 1. It was okay, but not brilliant, IMHO.

I generally don’t trust search functions to catch everything. All it takes is a slight misspelling or to have the item misidentified, and you’re toast. I once found a very nice Phantom Stranger piece that had been mislabeled as the Phantom Strangler. Grabbed it. So, I go through all of them—fast.

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

Conflict of interest if true?

It seems concerning on first blush, but I don’t see the harm unless he is actively engaged in controlling what is posted. The pricing info. is available to all, and there doesn’t  appear to be any prioritization for advertisers. The question I would have is why? 

1 minute ago, Rick2you2 said:

It seems concerning on first blush, but I don’t see the harm unless he is actively engaged in controlling what is posted. The pricing info. is available to all, and there doesn’t  appear to be any prioritization for advertisers. The question I would have is why? 

I think the fear is if he can see pieces users have posted to CAF but not made active and/or private purchase price info entered for pieces. Not sure it stresses me much at all, but do think it'd be kind of lame to give someone access to what is portrayed as private data (even if not legally private).

8 minutes ago, Varanis said:

I think the fear is if he can see pieces users have posted to CAF but not made active and/or private purchase price info entered for pieces. Not sure it stresses me much at all, but do think it'd be kind of lame to give someone access to what is portrayed as private data (even if not legally private).

If that is part of the deal: we don’t know that. 

I made a $3,000 sale and had a request to consign one of my high-ticket items from and with an auction house.

Today I made a $4,500 private sale via the Movie Art FB group I run and turned down an additional $8,500 offer on another Movie Poster painting I wasn't looking to sell.

It was a good weekend . . . not every shop sells its entire stock in one single day!

Edited by The Voord

6 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Fyi - Burkey bought a large stake in CAF.  I wonder if he previewed the for sale galleries before they went live.

I know Bill did because he asked me to take down 2 photos I had as placeholders while I was trying to figure out functionality.  This was my first time trying to set up.  I was using my phone so did not have access to my art pics from my computer files and was just testing.  I complied but this was on Friday and the photos were nothing outrageous.  One was of Lizzo, the other a bikini model.  I had downloaded the pics from the NY Post onto my phone before loading onto CAF.  Lol.

Again, I complied, so not a big deal.

Maybe it was a file size issue???:kidaround:

I'll see myself out now...

6 minutes ago, Bill Cox said:

Hey Guys,

First off, I'm glad most of you had a good time with Comic Art LIVE. This show, while rushed from Maureen and my side, worked better than the first and we hit all our marks with opening the show and art drops.

While my business relationships are by no means private, I have no problem giving you all you'd need to know about Collector's Network as a business. As many of you know, in 2008 I opened my mini-golf which set me back over $500k in loans and cost me my entire art collection. Easily one of the worst decisions in my life, and given the stock market crashing that October 2008, both 2009 and 2010 were very desperate times. Mike and I have been friends a long time, and he had invested a small amount in the mini golf to just to be involved with something outside the hobby while he neared retirement. By 2010 I was just about bankrupt on the golf course side and I was siphoning funds from my other businesses to keep it afloat, but I was running out of options. I turned to Mike and we talked about how he could help me out of the jam. I couldn't offer him any more of the mini-golf since it was worthless at that time (thankfully not anymore), and so I sold him a very small % of Collector's Network (not CAF) and I turned around and used that money to pay down the mini-golf loan which helped me get over the hump.

Before we agreed to do it, I explained how he had to be a silent partner in that business for all the reasons you can imagine, whether it be my work with other dealers or the collecting community. He agreed, and we've never talked about Collector's Network as a business, my work with other dealers, nor what I'm doing with CAF, in 10+ years. Mike has no access to CAF data nor anyone's data I work with, not even his own. Similarly, I have no access to any personal data entered on CAF. There are no views into anyone's personal data whatsoever, and the features KV is referencing were added years ago because collectors wanted to use CAF to manage all their inventory data and it was built based on a couple collector's specs. So there is nothing nefarious here at all guys, and Mike has never profited or earned a single penny for getting me out the mess I put myself into 12 years ago. He doesn't even give me discounts when I buy art from him, which I imagine wont surprise anyone here.

Regarding early access to Comic Art LIVE... Beside Maureen, I was the only one with that as you'd expect because I am doing to front end programming for Comic Art LIVE. Nelson had ONE piece of "ART" in his booth for many days, so when I'd scroll through the Hall where we showed three random images from inside a booth his nude photograph was always there - the only thing in his booth. I let it slide for a couple days until it was 3 days out and asked if he would please remove it. He didn't, and didn't reply. Then he replaced it with another excuse for humor the day before the show, which I had to ask him again if he'd remove it. Again no reply. Fortunately I didn't have to nuke his booth because when I went to check it an hour before the show opened to premium members he had taken down the image and replaced it with comic art. 

That's all there is to know about either of these questions. 

Thank you for the transparent explanation Bill.

I was just curious when it was mentioned, and I wasn't seeing any issue because I wasn't clear what secret information he could have.

Malvin

16 minutes ago, Bill Cox said:

Thanks for the clear and honest info, Bill!  Frankly more there than you owe any of us.

I'm sure you always get way more free suggestions that you'll ever have time to implement them, but I'll toss one on the pile:  It would be great if members were emailed or otherwise notified of changes to pieces that they have marked as "liked".  That's to say if I have my eye on ten pieces that I'm considering, and two get a price cut and three are no longer available due to being sold, that sort of update would be very useful.

That stuff is always much easier to propose than it is to code, but it was something that came to mind this weekend that I wanted to share.

30 minutes ago, Bill Cox said:

Hey Guys,

First off, I'm glad most of you had a good time with Comic Art LIVE. This show, while rushed from Maureen and my side, worked better than the first and we hit all our marks with opening the show and art drops.

While my business relationships are by no means private, I have no problem giving you all you'd need to know about Collector's Network as a business. As many of you know, in 2008 I opened my mini-golf which set me back over $500k in loans and cost me my entire art collection. Easily one of the worst decisions in my life, and given the stock market crashing that October 2008, both 2009 and 2010 were very desperate times. Mike and I have been friends a long time, and he had invested a small amount in the mini golf to just to be involved with something outside the hobby while he neared retirement. By 2010 I was just about bankrupt on the golf course side and I was siphoning funds from my other businesses to keep it afloat, but I was running out of options. I turned to Mike and we talked about how he could help me out of the jam. I couldn't offer him any more of the mini-golf since it was worthless at that time (thankfully not anymore), and so I sold him a very small % of Collector's Network (not CAF) and I turned around and used that money to pay down the mini-golf loan which helped me get over the hump.

Before we agreed to do it, I explained how he had to be a silent partner in that business for all the reasons you can imagine, whether it be my work with other dealers or the collecting community. He agreed, and we've never talked about Collector's Network as a business, my work with other dealers, nor what I'm doing with CAF, in 10+ years. Mike has no access to CAF data nor anyone's data I work with, not even his own. Similarly, I have no access to any personal data entered on CAF. There are no views into anyone's personal data whatsoever, and the features KV is referencing were added years ago because collectors wanted to use CAF to manage all their inventory data and it was built based on a couple collector's specs. So there is nothing nefarious here at all guys, and Mike has never profited or earned a single penny for getting me out the mess I put myself into 12 years ago. He doesn't even give me discounts when I buy art from him, which I imagine wont surprise anyone here.

Regarding early access to Comic Art LIVE... Beside Maureen, I was the only one with that as you'd expect because I am doing to front end programming for Comic Art LIVE. Nelson had ONE piece of "ART" in his booth for many days, so when I'd scroll through the Hall where we showed three random images from inside a booth his nude photograph was always there - the only thing in his booth. I let it slide for a couple days until it was 3 days out and asked if he would please remove it. He didn't, and didn't reply. Then he replaced it with another excuse for humor the day before the show, which I had to ask him again if he'd remove it. Again no reply. Fortunately I didn't have to nuke his booth because when I went to check it an hour before the show opened to premium members he had taken down the image and replaced it with comic art. 

Bill is the best <3. Thanks for everything you do for the hobby and congrats on getting through those down years. I wasn't aware you had gone through that.

10 hours ago, John E. said:

My super favorite thing was the new "save/favorite" function. It was my go-to thing throughout the weekend!

Lastly, I will say that one of my buyers was a first-time CAF member and CAL shopper and that he found all the sellers to be super friendly and easy to work with. I'm really happy to hear that!

The Save feature was at the top of our list for updates. I had told Maureen if there was only one thing we added it was that.

Glad to hear that a new user had more than one good experience. I stressed in all my messages to potential sellers that the biggest complaint with the first show was slow replies.