• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live
2 2

72 posts in this topic

I wasn't looking to stir the pot as the info was out there.  (See OA Cabal Newsletter issue #4).   Asking if Mike was able to preview the galleries seemed logical and reasonable.  Bill has always been straight forward and I appreciate him taking the time to address the situation.  Apologies for hijacking the thread and apologies to Bill since I put him in an unintentional uncomfortable situation.

Just to clarify, there were no nude or topless pics.  Lizzo was wearing a red, white and blue bikini and the bikini model was wearing a tan bikini.  If someone was browsing quickly, I suppose the tan could have looked flesh tone and mistaken for nude.  It's a moot point since the files were deleted as requested.

Since I was planning to delete pics before the lockdown, I didn't think a reply was necessary.

I didn't reply to Malvin's PM either.  It wasn't necessary.

Since I was using my cellphone and there was no move / transfer function, I ended up downloading images from my own CAF gallery and reloading it back to my CAL booth.  I re-typed the different fields.  

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

It was an intentional act on your part to postulate something that was both illogical and unreasonable and had no bearing on the thread whatsoever to that point. It was meant to create the knee jerk reaction you got from several collectors, which in turn would force me to have to rehash something publicly that I shouldn't have ever had to.

a quick comment:  I think many marked items at $0 to quickly denote it was sold, as they didn't readily understand they could mark it SOLD- this was a UI issue.  On that same note, I wondered if there was a Sale Pending option as well?  I struggled with what to do with something that I had made an agreement on, but was awaiting payment on: Mark it SOLD, or not?   

(thumbsuon the Sunday art drop-  my only purchase came Sunday morning in the first 20 minutes.

Also-  I didn't look, but maybe incorporate the message board in CAF as the live blog/notification nexus for the Con?  When they do Virtual Cons here in CGC, that's what they do, and they have a pretty good system for it.  Not many here, maybe not even Bill have really experienced the CGC virtual Cons because it's almost 95% comics, but you can visit the sales area and see the previous virtual cons to see how sellers and buyers used the message board actively during the show. (discount announcements, previews, etc) This keeps it within the CAF ecosystem, and not scattered among FB posts to multiple groups, email blasts, etc.

If the Booth is the back wall-  maybe have a count of pages also available in a sellers classifieds with the link?  so you aren't unnecessarily clicking to see if anything is there.

all in all, a good sophomore effort, with plenty of improvement.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

I think when an art piece is sold within CAF Live, it's really really really important for the sustainability of CAF Live and those selling on the platform to keep items up as "SOLD" - - having the price is preferable, but just knowing an item existed during the 2 days and was available for purchase, but sold is key - - This sends a message to buyers out there that great items were available on CAF as well as great items were available from that seller - - It gets all of the slow lookie-loo's, tire kickers, and pennywise/poundfoolish negotiatiators to re-strategize and become active shoppers and committed buyers if they fear the potential of losing the opportunity to add a piece of art to their collection.  

The 1st CAF Live taught me that lesson, and this time around, when I saw something I liked, I committed to the buy right away, no nickle n' dime negotiations if the price looked right.  If the price looked wrong, I just passed it by and kept scrolling down the galleries.  If the item sold were removed during the auction, it gives less context to how awesome CAF Live is.  Nothing gets my emotions up more than seeing a piece sold that I wanted, and even more so when it's at a price I would have gladly paid or paid a lot higher.  It is actually encouraging that great deals can be found as well as notable new material at CAF Live.  

I didn't see any roadblocks or areas that needed improving, it was a great system.  I like being able to sort by Day on Sunday, and sort by price too. 

11 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I think when an art piece is sold within CAF Live, it's really really really important for the sustainability of CAF Live and those selling on the platform to keep items up as "SOLD" - - having the price is preferable, but just knowing an item existed during the 2 days and was available for purchase, but sold is key - - This sends a message to buyers out there that great items were available on CAF as well as great items were available from that seller - - It gets all of the slow lookie-loo's, tire kickers, and pennywise/poundfoolish negotiatiators to re-strategize and become active shoppers and committed buyers if they fear the potential of losing the opportunity to add a piece of art to their collection.  

The 1st CAF Live taught me that lesson, and this time around, when I saw something I liked, I committed to the buy right away, no nickle n' dime negotiations if the price looked right.  If the price looked wrong, I just passed it by and kept scrolling down the galleries.  If the item sold were removed during the auction, it gives less context to how awesome CAF Live is.  Nothing gets my emotions up more than seeing a piece sold that I wanted, and even more so when it's at a price I would have gladly paid or paid a lot higher.  It is actually encouraging that great deals can be found as well as notable new material at CAF Live.  

I didn't see any roadblocks or areas that needed improving, it was a great system.  I like being able to sort by Day on Sunday, and sort by price too. 

That's kind of interesting.  The one piece I sold was very early on Saturday.  I quickly received a message offering me $2,250 for a painting I'd listed at $3,000.  The would-be buyer told me that the art was intended as a gift for a friend's wife.  I replied thanking the person for the interest but said that it was a little too early in the day to be agreeing to 25% discounts.  A short while later another buyer came along offering me full asking price.  I reported back to the first enquirer saying that the painting had now sold and was no longer available . . . and I got a, "Let me know if the other person backs out" reply.

Edited by The Voord

On 11/17/2020 at 1:20 AM, jaykza said:

Easiest thing to do is subscribe to the channel on YouTube and you can set alerts to inform you of new videos. Bill usually gives a couple days (at least) notice of upcoming shows/videos. 

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYljwk2DLVK8K67u7NPOgEA

I just subscribed-- I just only signed up for an official YouTube account but since Google already owns the world it was pretty simple.  

I enjoyed this one and like the last one I purchased some art from board members I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I didn't end up buying a commission as I'm still waiting on one I ordered from the spring event and the rep isn't inspiring confidence that I'll ever get it. 

Not sure how feasible this is but a "Make Offer" option would be a great addition if possible. There were a few pieces I was interested in but the price was so high it wasn't worth sending a message.

Was a great event - and the improvements were all excellent

It would be nice if exhibitors could add pieces Saturday night for Sunday sales but not a priority

I shipped out 8 packages last week and I bought a handful of pieces as well - 2 pieces arrived already.

Also, I sold a page after the event closed from a conversation that started during the Con so sales enabled likely understated

Mark