• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
12 12

180 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Legion HQ said:

lol   I thought the same thing bidding on them. What are the graders seeing that I'm not?? Are the back covers bent in half? Those books present REALLY well from the front. A lot of other books did too in the auction, so I'm not sure what's going on with these graders lately. I've noticed it on my own submissions this past year as well. Very tight grading of late imo.

I hear you loud and clear there.   I bought a few, but also got the cheapest book, House of Mystery #290 CGC 6.5 for $25.  I was just staggered looking at it.

There was some huge prices for the Star Wars books, and any black costume spidey's, but the $971 for the Shazam #28 (1977, DC, 2nd Black Adam appearance (1st since Golden Age)) was entirely lost on me.  Is there a hard to find book or something?  Two bidders gone crazy???

HOM 290 CGC 6.5.jpg

Hulk 340 CGC 9.2.jpg

Shazam 28 CGC 9.6.jpg

57 minutes ago, Legion HQ said:

lol   I thought the same thing bidding on them. What are the graders seeing that I'm not?? Are the back covers bent in half? Those books present REALLY well from the front. A lot of other books did too in the auction, so I'm not sure what's going on with these graders lately. I've noticed it on my own submissions this past year as well. Very tight grading of late imo.

Agree I actually was just commenting on your FB post since I was checking  that GI joe 21 out, I thought it looked amazing for a 9.0. Nice snag.

Phillip

9 hours ago, Legion HQ said:

Tight grading....should I wait?

2 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

I got up to 10 color breaks, and quit.

See, this is why I won't send my raws in for grading. The best examples of wonky grading come in the form of Green Lantern 76. See if you can find examples on ebay where we absolutely agree with the grading. I have seen 9.6's that are 9.0 TOPS. In fact some 8.5's look better. I'd be furious if my actual 9.8 came back as a 7.0.

15 hours ago, Microchip said:

There are a few that go the other way.... there's a prize for the most errors found :whistle: 

Wolverine Limited 3-4 CGC WTF.jpg

My guess is the actual book that should be in that slab was a 9.8. After that all bets are off. 

Edited by PKJ

Two things I look for at shows after keys or must haves are MJ inserts and Dec 1973 books. Always makes for a more interesting hunt at shows while everyone else is chasing the flavor of the month. The Dec 73 books get to rotate on one of the spinners. 

Edited by PKJ

26 minutes ago, divad said:

A very nice pick-up, regardless . . . . (thumbsu

Ya the $1.50 part is just cause I'm astounded lol

Hasn't ever happened at this rate for me  :shy:

I found another posted in garage sale thread, today just turned out to be a blessing all around, I even found some national lampoon's and mads that are classic, for $3 a piece, just super thankful as I'm cash poor at the moment....

And thank you! I for sure didn't see it coming at all haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

5 hours ago, PKJ said:
20 hours ago, Microchip said:

There are a few that go the other way.... there's a prize for the most errors found :whistle: 

Wolverine Limited 3-4 CGC WTF.jpg

Expand  

My guess is the actual book that should be in that slab was a 9.8. After that all bets are off. 

Why that's a "pushme-pullyou"  . . . "Never seen anything like it in my life!" lol

On 11/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, jmt999 said:

I've got New Mutants 87 and 98, ASM 135(second Punisher), Avengers 257(first nebula), X-men 142 and ASM 316 all Mark Jewelers. I'll see if I can get some pics at some point.

Wish some of them had been key issues.

Patrick

14 hours ago, comic_memories said:

I'm sure its been asked before but is CGC keeping a database for the copies they grade with M.J. inserts? At this point it must be getting extensive if they are. 

And then the next question would be addressed to Valiantman, to see if his database can separate them out.

14 hours ago, Microchip said:

And then the next question would be addressed to Valiantman, to see if his database can separate them out.

It can't, because all he does is present the CGC Census data in different ways. The Census does not have information on inserts, signatures, reasons for qualified grades, etc.

44 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It can't, because all he does is present the CGC Census data in different ways. The Census does not have information on inserts, signatures, reasons for qualified grades, etc.

The Canadian editions are plait out, so I'm curious to hear from him on this one.

29 minutes ago, Microchip said:

The Canadian editions are plait out, so I'm curious to hear from him on this one.

Those have separate entries in the Census, despite the significant mislabeling problems CGC has with individual copies.

@valiantman can tell you the same thing that I did in my previous post.