• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending in cards at different levels

5 posts in this topic

When sending in cards mostly bulk and a few standard.
1. Does the bulk take less time and come back with the standard cards?

or

2. Do the standard cards take longer to come back and come with the bulk?

or

3. Are they sorted out when received and they have their own timelines?

Do i ship all cards together and separate out different service levels? 

or

Do I ship each service level in its own package?

Thank You in advance

They get their own timelines and ship separate, I believe.  If you notice, your shipping charges go up significantly whenever you have different tiers, or even different charges in the same tier (adding subgrades to some, not all or error grading, for example).  This is because they are planning to ship multiple packages to you.  Any time things aren't priced exactly the same in the submission, it breaks out a new handling fee of 5 dollars for each group that's different and splits the submission into multiple pieces for processing; those pieces seem to act independently of each other.  

Example: 

I sent in 11 cards.  10 were standard w/subgrades.  1 card was standard w/subgrades and an error validation.

It's all standard, but I was charged 5 dollars handling for the 10, and another 5 for the 1.  I was also charged to ship the submission in two boxes.  The submissions were entered separately and finished at different times (both standard, so they both finished under 30 days from when they were entered into the system).  

They all come back per grouping.  It is extremely sad we cannot chose combined shipping where the different groups get mailed back in one box when everything is done.  I do not want to pay shipping and the $5 fee for one card.  Getting 1 Error Card graded with subgrades even at the bulk rate ends up being $40 fee for one card!  $8bulk + 5subs + 5error +5handling +separate shipping.  Crazy!

1 hour ago, William Weitz said:

They all come back per grouping.  It is extremely sad we cannot chose combined shipping where the different groups get mailed back in one box when everything is done.  I do not want to pay shipping and the $5 fee for one card.  Getting 1 Error Card graded with subgrades even at the bulk rate ends up being $40 fee for one card!  $8bulk + 5subs + 5error +5handling +separate shipping.  Crazy!

Yeah, it definitely makes it such that type of card pricey to do as a standalone.  Mine was the Blaine's Charizard, so it's...like, that card makes sense to get graded like that.  If it were a mid-tier card or lower, I'd probably wait until I had more cards that would hit that category so that at least the non-card specific charges would be halved.  

I'm not sure how the other companies handle that; it's pretty clear that when CGC splits out the parcels into workstreams that they charge for those card(s) to go through their own process.  If there was one spot I could see them changing this, it'd be to allow the shipping to be re-bundled.  I imagine that would mess with their workflow, and they'd have to manage getting the submissions re-grouped, which might just slow the whole thing down.  They are perhaps choosing speed over cost efficiencies for the buyer.  Given that folks are moving to CGC for SPEED + GRADING QUALITY + LOWER PRICES AT HIGHER TIERS, this is probably makes sense from a business standpoint.

4 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

Yeah, it definitely makes it such that type of card pricey to do as a standalone.  Mine was the Blaine's Charizard, so it's...like, that card makes sense to get graded like that.  If it were a mid-tier card or lower, I'd probably wait until I had more cards that would hit that category so that at least the non-card specific charges would be halved.  

I'm not sure how the other companies handle that; it's pretty clear that when CGC splits out the parcels into workstreams that they charge for those card(s) to go through their own process.  If there was one spot I could see them changing this, it'd be to allow the shipping to be re-bundled.  I imagine that would mess with their workflow, and they'd have to manage getting the submissions re-grouped, which might just slow the whole thing down.  They are perhaps choosing speed over cost efficiencies for the buyer.  Given that folks are moving to CGC for SPEED + GRADING QUALITY + LOWER PRICES AT HIGHER TIERS, this is probably makes sense from a business standpoint.

i learned the hard way.  I spent 1 hours putting a submission together and typing them in , putting them in ORDER.  then when i went to submit.  BAM, they were in two different sheets.  So i had to go back and reorganize the sequence of cards to the right submission order sheets.  It was horrible and i almost was going to just trash that submission.   I also do not submit with various levels because of the extra charges with each new different submission and add ons.  Something that CGC should re think.

i am sure you and i are not the only ones that think CGC should re structure the submission charges.

GO CGC, listen to your first consumers.  Word of mouth advertisement is your core.