• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darrow - Hard Boiled art
2 2

21 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2020 at 10:28 PM, art4comics.com said:

if anyone can provide proof of his vellum yellowing, becoming brittle or damaged, i would appreciate seeing some first hand images of this destruction and decay as that has not been my experience and might change how i display his art.

I've owned several Darrow pieces over the years. I've also gotten to know Geoff a bit over the last 10+ years. We've talked at length about his art, and I've shared that here in the past. Unfortunately, I think a lot of old posts are now gone.

In any case...the vellum he used for HB is sadly susceptible to degrading. It's most evidenced in framed pieces that were exposed to light (mat burn is more extreme than with bristol). The vellum tans to various shades, depending on conditions. As well, spotting may appear.

No, this is not the same vellum that was used here. He was buying his from a French manufacturer. But it's no longer being made (partly I suspect due to its fragile nature). Supplies ran out years ago. So you won't see any new Darrow art on the same material.

If your piece looks pristine, it may be a more a recent drawing. You should match up with the published image. For better or for worse, Geoff has not only made duplicates of the unpublished art he sells at conventions, he's also recreated published art, as well. I own the cover to HB #3 (with view of Nixon through a hole in the head)...except it's a recreation. The person who originally bought it didn't know that it wasn't the published version. There are many examples of this. Geoff will do a tweak here and there to differentiate, but at first glance, no one would know.

The recreation I own is in excellent condition. The newer vellum has a grayish tone. I know the difference because I had owned a vintage piece that had significantly yellowed over the years.

Attached is a piece from a Comiclink auction a few years ago. You can see that the vellum is noticeably discolored. No idea how it'd been stored over the years, or under what conditions, but doesn't appear to have been framed, at least. So this could have just happened as a function of time. On the plus side, it's a sign that it's an actual vintage piece. Silver lining?

DARK HORSE FUTURES: HARD BOILED COVER ( 1989, GEOF DARROW ) THE FIRST  PUBLISHED HARD BOILED COVER!, in Original Art Auctions and Exchange:  ComicLINK.com's CLOSED FEATURED AUCTION HIGHLIGHTS - 11/2017 Comic Art  Gallery Room