• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resubmitting for pressing/regrade

6 posts in this topic

So, I'm curious as to what folks generally think about resubmitting grading disappointments to add pressing services and go for a regrade. I've had a few that I had hoped would receive higher grades (I'm sure this is a common problem) and was considering doing this. Here are the grader notes for a few. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice as to the extent to which a press/regrade would change the condition given these problems. I realize visible spine lines aren't going away, but am unsure of the level of the grading when coupled with other things a press might take care of.  I know it's impossible to say with any surety how a grade might change, but any general advice is appreciated. 

Grade: 9.2 White

Notes: light bends to cover

Grade: 6.5 White

Notes: moderate bends to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

Grade: 8.0 White

Notes: light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light staining to cover

honestly, the math would be a huge factor in any considerations, unless money is not an issue for you (in which case congratulations!!!!)

4 minutes ago, revat said:

honestly, the math would be a huge factor in any considerations, unless money is not an issue for you (in which case congratulations!!!!)

Yeah, you're absolutely right on the math part (and I wish money wasn't an issue). I think I was just kind of surprised/frustrated by some of the grades when I started this thread. I'm still not amazing at grading my own books/knowing when to press and when not to no matter how much I read up on it all. 

2 hours ago, converseba said:

Yeah, you're absolutely right on the math part (and I wish money wasn't an issue). I think I was just kind of surprised/frustrated by some of the grades when I started this thread. I'm still not amazing at grading my own books/knowing when to press and when not to no matter how much I read up on it all. 

I make notes of the books I send in with the defects I see and what I think is the grade. Then compare with what I get back. Its a good learning tool if you arent able to send for pre-screening or if the books are older and you know its not going to get a 9.8