• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth pressing? 9.6 -> 9.8?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I've had this Edge of Spider-Verse #2 (9.6 ss) for a little while and I'm looking for some opinions on whether I should get it pressed...wondering if it can get bumped to a 9.8 or if I should just be happy with what I got.  There are no grader notes, but there's a clear minor corner crunch that can be seen on the back cover that doesn't break color and either dirt or some other kind of smudge near the bottom staple next to the remarque.  I'm thinking, if its a 9.6 and I can see these things from the outside...then it should be the only things keeping it from a 9.8.  I've only pressed a few comics, but none of them had smudges like this...think the cleaning process that goes with a press would help?

IMG_2979.thumb.jpg.a829839ead3a70698543efd1ac8880c2.jpgIMG_2982.thumb.jpg.6adf3b06af30b4f7404c178d6f66c083.jpgIMG_2983.thumb.jpg.be54a438880653f32947e3b8f57df019.jpg

The color rub by the staple will come off.

The crunch top corner will lay flat.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done to add color back where it has been lost. That top corner crunch is the killer and as others have already mentioned, i am surprised this even got the 9.6.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the only way to maintain a yellow label is to have CGC (CCS) do the cleaning and pressing. There may be one or two other presses out there that can do this as well (to keep the yellow label) as they have a specific relationship with CGC , but I'm not sure who they are. 

That being said, the smudge should easily clean off. The top corner will be improved with a press but not completely fixed.

You just need to decide if it's worth the risk of possibly getting a lower grade.

Thanks everyone, I definitely don't want to get a lower grade...may just count my blessings and leave it alone. That top corner crunch doesn't actually have any color loss, it might be the glare on the edges that makes it look worse. But I get what everyone is saying. If I take the gamble (not likely) I'll post the results.  I'm newer to getting my books graded so I really I appreciate all the feedback. 

I bought the notes out of curiousity.  The fact that they didn't mention the smudge at all was kind of interesting...

CGC Grader Notes

small bend left top of back cover
small bend right top of front cover

21 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I'm kind of shocked it got a 9.6...

Right??  I was thinking 9.2...(shrug)

58 minutes ago, VargaM said:

I bought the notes out of curiousity.  The fact that they didn't mention the smudge at all was kind of interesting...

CGC Grader Notes

small bend left top of back cover
small bend right top of front cover

I just saw this.  Very peculiar...hm

4 hours ago, RhialtoTheMarvellous said:

I wouldn't crack it. That area by the staples looks more like color rub rather than color transfer.

Agreed.  I would leave it be, unless you can't stand the look of it as is...

I'm on the same page, does the "pressing" actually "fix" issues? The corner issue, maybe. But I'm not sure about the issue around the staple. Still not "sold" on the pressing. For me, a 9.8 almost doubles the value of the book, so it's worth it if the book has the potential to be really valuable in the future.