• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC super-color on 1971-72 covers
1 1

7 posts in this topic

A question for anyone else who might know:
There was a brief period at DC comics, between approximately 1971-1972, where many of the covers had extremely striking coloring.
It marked a stylistic change for DC but then it disappeared, never to return. Many of the affected issues were either 48 or 52 page comics with a 25 cent cover price. Others were 15 and 20 cents but they are in the minority. I find more of these in the Kirby Fourth World titles but they are found throughout the line.
Was this the work of a single gifted colorist who left the business? Was it someone who changed his or her style? Was it due to a style guide from an art director?
I'd like to put together a collection of all of these comics but would like to know how to define them first: by colorist, by titles, by price category, or whatever it is that unites the group.
Attached are some examples.

HsMys_201_96.jpg

Green-Lantern-Green-Arrow-85-Cover.jpg

gl82.jpg

flash.jpg

detective421cgc98-max-1400.jpg

Batman-235_1493700020f.jpg

superman 231.jpg

forever people.jpg

FPeo_4_92.jpg

Kamandi-6.jpg

MrMir_1_MC.jpg

Tarzan-209.jpg

Thanks to Marvel colorist Gregory Wright, I now have an answer to the question. These were all colored by Jack Adler using a gray ink wash color guide for each of the colors. https://www.nerdteam30.com/creator-conversations-retro/an-interview-with-jack-adler-comics-innovator-of-the-golden-age?fbclid=IwAR0SI44s1AsBZg_bUr0JN3KS5inJxe9cTkzclNv7fP5pCp6J1ZFrsqGuaLg

3 hours ago, paqart said:

Thanks to Marvel colorist Gregory Wright, I now have an answer to the question. These were all colored by Jack Adler using a gray ink wash color guide for each of the colors. https://www.nerdteam30.com/creator-conversations-retro/an-interview-with-jack-adler-comics-innovator-of-the-golden-age?fbclid=IwAR0SI44s1AsBZg_bUr0JN3KS5inJxe9cTkzclNv7fP5pCp6J1ZFrsqGuaLg

That was a great read! Thanks for posting! :golfclap:

27 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I remember actually reading a fascinating interview about Jack Adler with, of all people, Howard Stern; I think it was in Alter Ego.  They were cousins.

In my experience, Howard Stern interviews are generally unparalleled considering the medium he uses and the time he has. His interviews, especially over the last 12-15 years are easily some of the best out there.

In Mister Miracle #3, Jack Kirby is named as colorist of the cover of #1.

Tarzan #209 has been credited to Tatjana Wood at the GCD, and I believe that may be accurate.  I have a couple of copies of that and it's striking. She used to use some bold reds and yellows.