• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scarcity over supply & demand?
2 2

35 posts in this topic

Hi all,

New to the comic world, well at least purchasing some rare comics. I was wonder what creates scarcity, in the comic world, I love comics and the art within, however curious to understand why certain comics create a higher demand / price.

Supply and demand is obviously a factor, but what creates demand in this world? I notice the batman's, superman's, Spiderman's oldest comics create a great price with holding for the long run, but why is this Sonic comic so cheap? It's the first comic ever for Sonic, first appearance for many characters in its world...Sonic is still relevant, just like all the other brands...

Thanks!

sonic.jpg

9 hours ago, Ash007007 said:

but why is this Sonic comic so cheap? It's the first comic ever for Sonic, first appearance for many characters in its world...Sonic is still relevant, just like all the other brands...

Thanks!

sonic.jpg

Simple really, because no one or very few people want it. Rarity by itself doesn't mean bupkis. There are plenty of rare collectibles that have little value. Until a fanbase for the item emerges and starts buying them up, the value will remain lower.

Who would want to buy a given comic and why?  And then how many people are there of that type? and how much money do those people have?

Running through a few hypotheticals should get you 80% to your answer.

"Scarcity over supply & demand?"

??? Scarcity is supply.

10 hours ago, Ash007007 said:

I notice the batman's, superman's, Spiderman's oldest comics create a great price with holding for the long run, but why is this Sonic comic so cheap? It's the first comic ever for Sonic, first appearance for many characters in its world...Sonic is still relevant, just like all the other brands...

Superman - originated in comic books

Batman - originated in comic books

Spider-Man - originated in comic books

Sonic the Hedgehog - originated in video games, not comic books

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

"Scarcity over supply & demand?"

??? Scarcity is supply.

Superman - originated in comic books

Batman - originated in comic books

Spider-Man - originated in comic books

Sonic the Hedgehog - originated in video games, not comic books

Scarcity means a shortage of supply, a time of 'scarce'. My question, hence the title, relates to the form of "supply" being in the context of unknown. Therefore implying scarcity as the means of demand. 

Please educate ones self. 

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Gold and Early Silver Age books are in demand and harder to find due to first/early appearances of characters and the fact that comic books were not thought of as a collectible, they were cheap/disposable entertainment.

When I was a kid in the 60's I never gave a second thought to folding the book and stuffing it in my back pocket while I rode my bike home, drawing on it, removing pin ups, etc., taking apart Marvel Collectors Items Classics/Marvel Tales and making them four separate books, If you left them lying around Mom threw them out, I am surprised any survived at all, especially in higher grade.

Now people new to the hobby are $$$ conscious (not true collectors) and only look at comics as an investment and the trends these days are determined by TV/Movies. When a TV Show/Movie is announced all of the "newer" folks want all of the appearances of the character involved which drives up the price of all appearances, especially the Gold/Silver first/early appearances.

Because these books are older and were already harder to find they tend to hold there value more than a modern book that had 1,000,000 copies printed and are only now hard to find because they are being hoarded for resale.

It seems the newer books drop in value as soon as the Movie has passed.

Just remember...

A collectible is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if there is only one but no one wants it it has no value, if there are 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 want it they it becomes scarce and the price goes up.

Back to your original question...How popular is Sonic as a character in a comic book???

Finally, an educated well written response, thank you MarvelManiac. I was expecting some retarded responses, as well I got, nice to see someone has some morality in these chats. 

2 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Is that response from a child or an adult? Apologies if your children have taken over your computer. 

CGC encapsulates both standard sized comic books (71/4 x 10 1/4) and larger magazine formats.  For someone unfamiliar with a particular book it’s a valid question.

6 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

CGC encapsulates both standard sized comic books (71/4 x 10 1/4) and larger magazine formats.  For someone unfamiliar with a particular book it’s a valid question.

Just as valid as my response.

Thanking you in advance!

18 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Is that response from a child or an adult? Apologies if your children have taken over your computer. 

16 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Scarcity means a shortage of supply, a time of 'scarce'. My question, hence the title, relates to the form of "supply" being in the context of unknown. Therefore implying scarcity as the means of demand. 

Please educate ones self. 

15 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Finally, an educated well written response, thank you MarvelManiac. I was expecting some retarded responses, as well I got, nice to see someone has some morality in these chats. 

Welcome to the boards!

We haven't had anyone storm in with their guns a blazin' ........ in almost 2 weeks.

As to your original quandaries:

13 hours ago, Ash007007 said:

I was wonder what creates scarcity

Think we can all agree that scarcity implies a general lack of supply either over a short time frame or an extended period.

but what creates demand in this world?

Again, pretty easy. The ability and desire of consumers to buy goods or services.

Sonic is still relevant, just like all the other brands

False. To be relevant, something needs to "matter" to the aforementioned consumers (a.k.a. desire).

Stay Conic!

-bc