• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 9.8 - Hold?
2 2

54 posts in this topic

Just got a 9.8 grade for my personal purchased copy of Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 (super stoked!).

So... my question is this. Is this book a long term hold, with the belief that it will always be in demand and increase in value.

OR... is this book seeing a spike in value for some reason and now is the time to cut it loose.

Thanks

16 hours ago, Guy D. Corp said:

Just got a 9.8 grade for my personal purchased copy of Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 (super stoked!).

So... my question is this. Is this book a long term hold, with the belief that it will always be in demand and increase in value.

OR... is this book seeing a spike in value for some reason and now is the time to cut it loose.

Thanks

IMO, the modern bubble is a ticking time bomb. "I" would sell and buy a blue chip Silver Age key.

18 hours ago, Guy D. Corp said:

Thanks

Got no money in it? Sell it and buy something with a larger collector audience. 

Got a lot of money in it? I would sell it even faster. This isn't a book I would hold 
long term if new speculators leave our market at any point this book could be one 
to plummet. Its got nothing behind it currently, but rarity which does help some.

I'm really not sure what I think of the future of this book. I honestly think a lot depends on Marvel's long-term commitment to the character and story it introduced. The Blue Marvel limited series has pretty small sales numbers -- from ~17k for #1 to well under 10k for #5. So we're looking at, what, twice the print run of early Walking Dead issues, more or less? That's not rare rare, but it's pretty scarce for a current-day Marvel title. And that scarcity seems to have arisen the old-fashioned way; the book was overlooked and order numbers were terrible (rather than some arbitrary print run forcing rarity).

In my mind, potentially, that makes this a better long-term hold than artificially-scarce Random Variant #17 of whatever the issue of the week is.

But rarity doesn't matter if there's no interest. Right now, what is presumably mostly speculation is driving the price of this book up up up, especially in high grades. The (currently) $1500 or so question is: what does Marvel do from here? Marvel (and DC) have been particularly prone in the last, say, 10-15 years, to introducing "important new characters" who end up with a lifetime of about a year before being relegated to the minors or merely forgotten entirely. If that happens here, then by 2025 this is a curiosity. Sure, probably still worth a few hundred in 9.8 just due to rarity, and because Iron Man always will have fans. But if they actually keep this story and character relevant?

I'm gonna spitball 80/20 odds that Marvel won't capitalize on this limited series and its character and so this book will peak relatively soon. If not, though... So, do you feel lucky?

31 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I'm gonna spitball 80/20 odds that Marvel won't capitalize on this limited series and its character and so this book will peak relatively soon. If not, though... So, do you feel lucky?

He's already been integral in several Ultimates series.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

He's already been integral in several Ultimates series.

Sure, but there's a difference between a character that really gets integrated into the publication versus one that... shows up because they want to remind you they're still there. I guess it's the difference between Batman Adventures #12 and The Sentry #1.

16 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Sure, but there's a difference between a character that really gets integrated into the publication versus one that... shows up because they want to remind you they're still there. I guess it's the difference between Batman Adventures #12 and The Sentry #1.

No clue what you are trying to say here. So being the leader of The Ultimates was just b/c Marvel felt they wanted to remind us he was there?
Harley is the same level of popularity as Sentry?

My take is, if you like the book, hold it.  You will have a 9.8 copy of a book you like.  If you don't like it, sell it and use the proceeds to buy a copy of a book you really like.  That way, you will have a copy of a book you really like.  If you are riding the train trying to time the market to get the most money from this specific book, you may get it right or you may get it wrong.  If you are ok with that then by all means have fun and shoot for the moon.  But if you would regret selling the book too soon or holding it too long, then you would loose money plus you would suffer the pain of regret.  Like the Buddhist story of the second arrow.  Whether you should sell the book now or hold it, the decision is more about you than about the book.  

I still have never found that book in the wild.  Apart from being in some Ultimates books, what has he done to warrant the huge price of this book besides scarcity?  I'm not knocking the book as I wold love to find some cheap somewhere, but can't even fathom the asking price for a character I have never seen in any book that I have ever read.  I would say hold the book for now.  You sent in your own copy you purchased off the shelf for cover and paid the slabbing fees etc; you are out what, $40 landed?  Even if the book tanks down to several hundred long term, you still really lose nothing.  On the other hand, those that are actually paying those 9.8 prices are taking a very huge gamble.

My 2c

On 10/27/2023 at 11:42 PM, darkstar said:

adam.thumb.png.7ded8f06257c9d34d504cd3508efdc25.png

Did you just quote something from 2 years ago and give no thought to what the market was doing in 2020-21?
Yes, yes you did.

From the GPA graph it appears the market has leveled to pre-pandemic level.

Edited by ygogolak

On 10/28/2023 at 10:08 AM, ygogolak said:

Did you just quote something from 2 years ago and give no thought to what the market was doing in 2020-21?
Yes, yes you did.

From the GPA graph it appears the market has leveled to pre-pandemic level.

Right, which means the topic creator should have sold the book sometime in the past three years, you know when we were in the bubble that you suggested wasn't real.

I never understood why this book sold for what it did and was watching a video on Youtube yesterday where the creator talked about buying up all the available copies whenever he could because the original ones he owned were lost in a flood. Then I came here and did a search for the book and this topic popped up and I thought it perfectly dovetailed with where we currently are. 

On 10/28/2023 at 3:40 PM, darkstar said:

Right, which means the topic creator should have sold the book sometime in the past three years, you know when we were in the bubble that you suggested wasn't real.

I never understood why this book sold for what it did and was watching a video on Youtube yesterday where the creator talked about buying up all the available copies whenever he could because the original ones he owned were lost in a flood. Then I came here and did a search for the book and this topic popped up and I thought it perfectly dovetailed with where we currently are. 

I think this book is one of the biggest hoaxes in the modern market. Its continues to hold some value without any supporting data to support the value. Its one book I will never touch unless I buy it dirt cheap. I feel sorry for people who bought it during Covid it will be years before they get their money back. Latest sales show it fluttering around $800 in 9.8. Its just book that has no upside right now for the gamble.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 10/28/2023 at 10:03 PM, fastballspecial said:

I think this book is one of the biggest hoaxes in the modern market. Its continues to hold some value without any supporting data to support the value. Its one book I will never touch unless I buy it dirt cheap. I feel sorry for people who bought it during Covid it will be years before they get their money back. Latest sales show it fluttering around $800 in 9.8. Its just book that has no upside right now for the gamble.

I think the book has plenty of upside (but not at that price, of course). It's the first appearance of a character, with a tiny print run (for Marvel), that hasn't appeared in other media, and hasn't really been a solid fixture in the comics yet (and by that, I'm thinking having his own ongoing title, or being the anchor for a consistently published team book. But without either of those, I think this is the sort of book that would be flirting with double-digit prices ungraded, and flirting with triple-digits in 9.8. I think it's going to take both of those things for the book to be worth $800.

On 10/29/2023 at 8:02 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think the book has plenty of upside (but not at that price, of course). It's the first appearance of a character, with a tiny print run (for Marvel), that hasn't appeared in other media, and hasn't really been a solid fixture in the comics yet (and by that, I'm thinking having his own ongoing title, or being the anchor for a consistently published team book. But without either of those, I think this is the sort of book that would be flirting with double-digit prices ungraded, and flirting with triple-digits in 9.8. I think it's going to take both of those things for the book to be worth $800.

Again there is nothing to support the value of the book other than rampart speculation yet. There are plenty of 
books that are just as scarce with 1st appearances that pull anywhere near that value. I think its the greatest con
book in the modern market. My local shops have all 4 copies slabbed on want $1.9k for them. They been sitting for
2 years now.