• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unanswerable question
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Alright, here's my question.

Let's say someone was a casual comic collector in the 1980s.  This person went every week to the LCS and got a couple issues from the stacks of new issues.  He didn't go over things with a fine tooth comb, and didn't know what a "color breaking tick" was, but he did go a few issues down in the stack to get what seemed like the best one, and avoided stuff that was obviously messed up.

He read them once or twice, but very gingerly, and bagged/boarded/boxed them for 30 years.

If he submitted a couple long boxes of said comics to CGC today, what do you think the average grade would be?

Edited by Poekaymon

That really is unanswerable.  Still even with the information provided WAY too many variables to consider.  

That said short answer without a press or clean . I would guesstimate average somewhere between 8.5 and 9.0. 

As dark covers would show the finger prints and they didn't really know what spine ticks are.

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That really is unanswerable.  Still even with the information provided WAY too many variables to consider.  

That said short answer without a press or clean . I would guesstimate average somewhere between 8.5 and 9.0. 

As dark covers would show the finger prints and they didn't really know what spine ticks are.

You just better watch yourself!  :makepoint:

1 minute ago, kav said:

You just better watch yourself!  :makepoint:

I can grade how I want!

But still i tend to fall on the strict side of the scale. Leads to less disappointments.

Besides if they didn't know what spine ticks are , chances are the bags and boards may not be acid free, or boxes until full may have had the comics slump or shift. Spines all facing same direction causing roll. Again too many variables. 

6 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I can grade how I want!

Well, you just better watch yourself anyway! :taptaptap:

3 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Let's say someone was a casual comic collector in the 1980s.  This person went every week to the LCS and got a couple issues from the stacks of new issues.  He didn't go over things with a fine tooth comb, and didn't know what a "color breaking tick" was, but he did go a few issues down in the stack to get what seemed like the best one, and avoided stuff that was obviously messed up.

He read them once or twice, but very gingerly, and bagged/boarded/boxed them for 30 years.

If he submitted a couple long boxes of said comics to CGC today, what do you think the average grade would be?

Depends on how they're handled at the comic shop as well.  Grades will range anywhere from an 8.0 to 9.6.  How would I know?  I submitted some of my own books from the 90s.  Lowest I got was an 8.0.  Highest I got was a 9.6.

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Depends on how they're handled at the comic shop as well.  Grades will range anywhere from an 8.0 to 9.6.  How would I know?  I submitted some of my own books from the 90s.  Lowest I got was an 8.0.  Highest I got was a 9.6.

Ave grade = 8.8!

A lot of comics were still purchased in 7-11, Waldenbooks, Newstands and other mall book stores.  So, I would say around an 8.0-8.5

Books that were bought in comic stores, I would suspect to be a 9.2.  Many criticize CGC but they did shift the scale making the traditional overstreet grading to appear kind of soft. 

28 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

A lot of comics were still purchased in 7-11, Waldenbooks, Newstands and other mall book stores.  So, I would say around an 8.0-8.5

Books that were bought in comic stores, I would suspect to be a 9.2.  Many criticize CGC but they did shift the scale making the traditional overstreet grading to appear kind of soft. 

Agree even as a kid I was bagging and boarding the second I got anything. Didn’t know about boxes for a while just had them on a shelf. I also was a stickler for getting the best copy but with all that most all of mine were from the from the gas station or grocery store. Also I’d take them with me on trips, into book bags, read multiple times, try to copy drawing the artwork. Even handled carefully that’s a lot to hold up against. 

14 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Unread, of course.