• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 original art
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I often wonder this myself on how to price a "premium" OA thing like that.  

I mean, looking through ha.com, I see that recently we have had sales for #4-5 go for 4-6k (with a turtle) or 1.5k (without a turtle).  I can only imagine that it'd be close to 10-15k per page, but that's pure baseless, wild speculation.  I think it would be in Kevin's hands still, but I know most of the stuff he let go of. 

Right now, for example Transformers (which is about the same age, but the art is IMO not as good as the TMNT) you could pick up a cover a year ago for somewhere in the 4-5k range.  Pages are in the $2-300ish range (now) for a medium page. A pretty good page might be $500-$1k range.  

When it comes to issues 1-4? I have no idea. I just know that people have a death grip sometimes and certain collectors scooped it up years ago. 

31 minutes ago, Dayzen said:

Anybody know where these reside? In fact, what would a page fetch? Never seen one. 

Not only have I seen one, but the first time I read TMNT #1 was as a complete book of OA. Bwahahaha!

It's my understanding TMNT is still intact under one owner and it's not Eastman. As you can see in the info plate alone, the cover belongs to famed collector Eric Roberts.

TMNT1 cover.jpeg

1 minute ago, John E. said:

Not only have I seen one, but the first time I read TMNT #1 was as a complete book of OA. Bwahahaha!

It's my understanding TMNT is still intact under one owner and it's not Eastman. As you can see in the info plate alone, the cover belongs to famed collector Eric Roberts.

TMNT1 cover.jpeg

Wow!!!!

33 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

If I recall correctly, the complete issue 1 was sold in the last 10 years and the result was way below what was expected.

IIRC it was being offered by Kevin for quite a while at $1m with no takers. I think the $200k offer was what Kevin eventually accepted from Eric.

26 minutes ago, vodou said:

IIRC it was being offered by Kevin for quite a while at $1m with no takers. I think the $200k offer was what Kevin eventually accepted from Eric.

Ok, so to be clear, Eric Roberts owns the complete story and cover? Back when I took this pic in 2014 I was one year into collecting and didn’t ask these sorts of questions. 

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

sold on eBay in 2007 for a little over $250,000.  Still resides with the winning bidder.

When you say sold, do you mean just the interiors? (And I also think you mean not Eric Roberts bought them on ebay.) Because the photo I have is from 2014. My gut told me then that the interiors and the cover were owned by two different people. I wish I took a photo of the info plate then but I was wet behind the ears.

Yes interiors and cover for 250K after Eastman tried for a while to sell for a 1 mil. They've been with Eric Roberts ever since. A few pencil prelims, drawn by Eastman, are currently out there (I have one of them) for issue #1 . Issue 2 is intact with cover, not in public. Issue 3 the cover and a good number of pages are out there (I've owned a few over the years and currently have Page 1 as well as Page 3). Issue 4 only a handful of pages, no cover out there. 

Early pages of TMNT art simply don't trade hands too often, though with the rocketing price surge that TMNT#1 the comic has seen these past few months, it wouldn't surprise me to see more early art come to light.

Edited by TMNT

1 hour ago, John E. said:

When you say sold, do you mean just the interiors? (And I also think you mean not Eric Roberts bought them on ebay.) Because the photo I have is from 2014. My gut told me then that the interiors and the cover were owned by two different people. I wish I took a photo of the info plate then but I was wet behind the ears.

The auction included  the 40 pages of original artwork, the original pen and ink cover and the original logo design, a first printing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, the original artwork for the inside cover, and a pencil layout for the first advertisement for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as it appeared in the Comic's Buyers Guide.

2 hours ago, TMNT said:

Yes interiors and cover for 250K after Eastman tried for a while to sell for a 1 mil. They've been with Eric Roberts ever since. A few pencil prelims, drawn by Eastman, are currently out there (I have one of them) for issue #1 . Issue 2 is intact with cover, not in public. Issue 3 the cover and a good number of pages are out there (I've owned a few over the years and currently have Page 1 as well as Page 3). Issue 4 only a handful of pages, no cover out there. 

Early pages of TMNT art simply don't trade hands too often, though with the rocketing price surge that TMNT#1 the comic has seen these past few months, it wouldn't surprise me to see more early art come to light.

Excellent post. Thank you.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, TMNT said:

Prices are due for a major uptick.  This series is hugely important to the comic industry, has a ton of nostalgia and prices are way lower than other early appearances of major characters.  They rarely come up.  The recent page 7 splash was a good buy for whoever got it.  And that TMNT 1 complete book solidly would deserve the 1M price tag today.

I hate this thread because I love it so much. Suddenly fighting urges to devour pizza and shout cowabunga! Stupid heroes in a half-shell.

Here’s something cool I bought from the boys back in the eighties. A hardcover collection of all the early stories and original art work drawn on the inside. Only 1000 made this is 221/1000

320C2804-3EC0-467D-824A-4F5FB9BE8321.thumb.jpeg.c8927215602243a05dc7104f5d8383a1.jpegB41B9CDC-2C4D-45C0-8C16-417F7E07E79E.thumb.jpeg.6e4234621afbc30d51a942a90896d16a.jpeg08FC7C98-E48B-43EF-A99F-5254174810E3.thumb.jpeg.b89b2297f7b5e975ec0e5bdd756a58d2.jpeg211482DD-F4CE-4724-BBAC-09AE742FE951.thumb.jpeg.a0599b230bdd59f0ff8fb01adbf632ea.jpeg9E387CE0-2B48-4187-9B88-59E4955C5C8B.thumb.jpeg.9fdf0a4501ca2692060876e254d5cceb.jpeg320C2804-3EC0-467D-824A-4F5FB9BE8321.thumb.jpeg.c8927215602243a05dc7104f5d8383a1.jpeg

Edited by grapeape