• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Alfred Pennyworth Collection
2 2

26 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Archive of The Alfred Pennyworth Collection beginning with the Heritage November 19,  2020 Auction

Would this be a worthy GA thread or a waste of time?

We can archive scans and realized prices

Prices and scans are archived in heritage. Maybe redundant ?

32 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Fair enough.

I’m not convinced eithe(shrug)
I thought maybe for ease of access without all the clicking on the Heritage site?

I wonder if they'll all come up if you search on "Pennyworth" in the archive once the auction is over? Not sure. 

39 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Fair enough.

I’m not convinced eithe(shrug)
I thought maybe for ease of access without all the clicking on the Heritage site?

im guessing after a few days this thread will get buried, and then be much harder to locate, say a month from now... simple with heritage, just goto main page, search pennyworth and boom

2 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Good points guys

I was not sure Pennyworth would come up on a search for all the books

moving on

Billy Wright example

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+52&Nty=1&Ntt=billy+wright&Ntk=SI_Titles&ic10=OtherResults-ViewAll-071515

Looks like you have to use the "Titles & Descriptions" option

When you type in "pennyworth" in the search box, a couple of options appear to select and it gets you there (Pennyworth collection books are already in the Heritage archives from today's auction results)

image.thumb.png.93a7c271c473bb5e31844b30ddc53c40.png

17 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Completely off topic, but I was reading one of the news stories on the BW collection a while back and one of the family members said at the time that they were holding a few books back. Anyone know any details? My suspicion is that the books held back--if, in the end, any actually were--might have been lower-grade copies of not particularly desirable books that the family kept as souvenirs. But interesting to think that there might actually be some BW copies of significant books still with the family. 

On 11/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, Aman619 said:

Looking at these books as they get auctioned off I just want to say What a marvelous Collection he put together! A job, out of love, well done!

Any bets that this collection wouldn't have hit the auction blocks so quickly if they hadn't been stolen in the first place?  hm

Probably one of the major reason why the owner decided to sell as it must have made him nervous to hold onto them for the long haul after finally getting them back. (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any bets that this collection wouldn't have hit the auction blocks so quickly if they hadn't been stolen in the first place?  hm

Probably one of the major reason why the owner decided to sell as it must have made him nervous to hold onto them for the long haul after finally getting them back. (thumbsu

Yep. I think thats true. Glad he got some nice prices on them. 

For a time, he started collecting again. But eventually, after the thrill and relief dissipated and worry again returned, Lawrence called Heritage's Aaron White and said: Now's the time. Come get them. Lawrence is 60 years old, and ready to retire and cut loose his prized possessions. 

https://www.ha.com/heritage-auctions-press-releases-and-news/one-of-the-most-storied-and-celebrated-collections-of-batman-comics-heads-to-heritage-auctions-in-november.s?releaseId=4006&type=social-Twitter-Comics-7236-pr4006-103020

Edited by Professor Chaos

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

What did the collection total for ?

I was wondereing too . I did a search of the auction alphabetically. Added up all the pennyworth Batmans and Detectives in my head. Came to right around 1.4 million for the Nov. 19-21 auction. . I didn't count the Bat 1 cb cs because I'm pretty sure that wasn't his. 

I counted just under 200 of his books that just ended in the Nov. 19-21 auction.  But according to the article by Heritage - Lawrence's decision to part with his collection of more than 1,000 Dark Knight issues brings to market some of the finest-graded Batman and Detective Comics issues ever available in a single place. I wonder where the other 800 or so books are. Was there any raw books in this past auction? I only saw CGC graded ones.

Edited by Professor Chaos

38 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

I didn't count the Bat 1 cb cs because I'm pretty sure that wasn't his.

correct

no Bats1 and no books pre 38

and his 38 is restored ( I didn't see it ) -> probably one of the very few books he chose to keep (?)

Edited by Gotham Kid

35 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

according to the article by Heritage - Lawrence's decision to part with his collection of more than 1,000 Dark Knight issues brings to market some of the finest-graded Batman and Detective Comics issues ever available in a single place. I wonder where the other 800 or so books are.

next auction(s)

the primo stuff I guess went first

Edited by Gotham Kid