• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plan of attack for collecting it all?
2 2

97 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, poorcollector said:

Personally I have a few reasons for collecting comics. I enjoy Marvel because it is what I grew up with.  Owning all the Nazi covers, and older stuff really appeals to me because it is literally like owning a piece of history.  I enjoy the artwork from the golden age all the way through to today, and I also enjoy the stories of most of the main runs.  I am also a very OCD individual and incredibly goal oriented.  Yes,  I agree that some books have little appeal individually, but those are also the books that can be found for pennies on the dollar.  If I enjoy the history, art, and story of the vast majority of what Marvel has published why not get the cheap stuff if possible and complete the collection. 

I'd suggest pick a publisher and or era and or character and start buying books you like and see where it leads you.  Eventually you'll realize your goal or realize it isn't practical but you'll have had a lot of fun in the process and you'll have a lovely collection.  I'd always recommend buying books of quality, ie something you'd be proud to show your friends.

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The best outlook is to realise that it was right for you then, but, long term, your perception can change markedly and can kill those early ambitions.

I never considered that I would run out of steam.  I guess that you have to really love what you are collecting, and I think that I would collect what I love and collect the cheaper drek when I ran out of other things to do. 

1 hour ago, themagicrobot said:

This is part of the collection of a guy called Mike. In 2018 he had over 50,000 comics. This is how much room that takes up. (He actually has even more VHS video tapes filling a different room).

Look, I mean, good for Mike, if that's what his passion is. He puts the true meaning into the word 'collect'.

Now for me, how can anyone spend enough time going through that collection and enjoy the books? Not even to read them... but just to sift through and look at them.

3 minutes ago, D2 said:

Now for me, how can anyone spend enough time going through that collection and enjoy the books? Not even to read them... but just to sift through and look at them.

Its only 1,000 or so comics a year since he started buying 40+ years ago.  That's less than 4 a day.  He could easily have read them all.  And there is the enjoyment is checking off a box on a list.  

This is about the size of a complete DC collection.

Speaking of the complete DC collection, here's Ian with the trophy books and cruxes:

5006966_IvanLevinenewpic.jpg.baf83e00f65437b8f61bf9f5fed7ce3b.jpg.jpeg.698945d2954c9706047929b0b8859eb6.jpeg

I've got the book immediately above his left (our right) shoulder if you want to get started buying the very rare DCs.  Here's another view of that "crux" book between the GL 1 and All Flash 1:

comic dc key group shot ian levine.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Its only 1,000 or so comics a year since he started buying 40+ years ago.  That's less than 4 a day.  He could easily have read them all.  And there is the enjoyment is checking off a box on a list.  

This is about the size of a complete DC collection.

You are right.

If that's a collection spanning 40 years, it's possible to have read those all, quite easily in fact.

I suppose for me, my collection mentality is now based on being able to look and see my books.

I pull my collection out of their hiding about once a week and I actually look and enjoy seeing them. I know first hand that when a collection gets to be so large (not that large mind you), it becomes extremely difficult to see them all.

I actually would forget about some books! Maybe that's a journey in and of itself... a constant surprise when you pull out a long box? hm

Different strokes... I suppose.

23 minutes ago, D2 said:

You are right.

If that's a collection spanning 40 years, it's possible to have read those all, quite easily in fact.

I suppose for me, my collection mentality is now based on being able to look and see my books.

I pull my collection out of their hiding about once a week and I actually look and enjoy seeing them. I know first hand that when a collection gets to be so large (not that large mind you), it becomes extremely difficult to see them all.

I actually would forget about some books! Maybe that's a journey in and of itself... a constant surprise when you pull out a long box? hm

Different strokes... I suppose.

I've mentioned ot before

If you join the registry and post pics in it as you obtain books, you can view your whole collection at the click of a button. The added bonus of points awarded is cool too :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 hours ago, poorcollector said:

I never considered that I would run out of steam.  I guess that you have to really love what you are collecting, and I think that I would collect what I love and collect the cheaper drek when I ran out of other things to do. 

I’m very enthusiastic too, but the focus can shift dramatically, as it did with me.

The major difference is really that I’m long in the tooth, grey-haired,  and looking back on my journey without your youthful energy and ambition.  :smile:

For me, the path wasn’t quite as linear as the one you’re intending to start out on.

Edited by Ken Aldred