• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports Cards ... whats going on?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Nothing new here at all. Vintage cards of star players will always command high prices as well as today's cards of up and upcoming stars and future HOF's. The big rookie cards of Mike Trout, Tom Brady, Gretzky, Kobe, Lebron, MJ just to name a few are always going to be in high demand

I honestly think it's skyrocketed exponentially just in the last year or so - I've had a PSA 7 Gretzky rookie since my childhood that I kept from bicycle tires and scrambles in the school yard, got it graded several years ago

And it stayed at $1000 for a long time, then creeped slowly to 2 and even 3 grand ...... now it's approaching 5k and even more just in the last little while

And my Connor Mcdavid  (2015 SP Future Watch auto/999) that I bought for $1500 a few years ago is pushing over 5K ........

These big price jumps are all practically since March. Like Fishbone said I have noticed big movement on  lot of my cards that had been moving up very slowly last several years. If he has O-Pee-Chee Gretzky then yes PSA 7 are $5K  but from what I can see regular PSA 7 Gretzkys are $2000 now but thats still up from $650 back in March

Some of my cards average price in March and today. I subscribe to Vintage Card Prices for my data and these are not just a sale here or there but in most cases last 10+ sales.

These prices are average with top price at times being 30% more.

Card                                                                   March 2020               Today

1979 Topps #18 Gretzky BVG 8                              $940                  $2160

1970 Topps #75 Lew Alcindor PSA 7                      $150                   $700 this sat at $150 for 6 years!

1965 Topps #122 Joe Namath PSA 6                     $2800                 $4550   Last sale yesterday was $5000

1989 Upper Deck #1 Griffey Jr. PSA 10                   $700                  $1650

1958 Topps #62 Jim Brown PSA 5                           $700                  $1950

1968 Topps #177 Nolan Ryan PSA 6                       $600                   $950

1957 Topps #95 Mantle PSA 6                                $700                   $1480

1955 Topps #164 Clemente PSA 4                         $1200                 $2200

1954 Topps #128 Aaron PSA 4                                $1800                $3400         

1953 Topps #1 Jackie Robinson PSA 5                   $500                  $1075

46 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I wonder what my Mickey Mantle card is worth now.

15E0DA69-4C57-4717-9901-63DB4ED8FD81.jpeg

That one's not worth very much.  Especially in that condition.  I might be able to sell it for $20... it's unfortunate but condition is really important with these older cards.  I'll give you $10 but It'll probably take me a year or so to sell it.  That's the best I can do.

38 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No not looking to sell, just wondering the worth. I do need to get this graded though.

Apologies, my previous post was a poor attempt at humor, mimicking what card dealers (and some comic dealers) say all the time to fleece people of their valuable cards.  A quick search on eBay should give you an idea of actual selling price (less fees, etc.).

It should read FUKUOKA

also maybe it's another guy that played

Ruth-3, Gehrig-4, DiMaggio-5 and they gave Mick 6 when the brought him up to keep up with that order thinking he’d be the Yankees next big star.

The Mick made the team out of ST in ‘51 but struggled and was sent back down. The Yankees realized they put too much pressure on a 19 year old kid so when he was called back up that season they gave him 7.

IMG_5184.JPG