• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Light scuffing = 8.0? Done with CGC
5 5

354 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, greggy said:

You will never get another confused out of me

You will have to earn it like everyone else.

Pity points are gone, snowflake

@Buzzetta pls talk some sense into him.  Or find out who is hacking his account.  :pullhair:

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

The frustration at an 8.0 either suggests a) A lack of grading ability on the submitters part 

b) The submitter paying $100 for a book they thought was a 9.6 only to get an 8.0 which eliminates any profit margins.

c) The submitter is genuinely upset having had others offer feedback and that combined with their own experience, led them to believe it was much higher only to get it back and be surprised. This means CGC dropped the ball

The correct answer will be determined when the photos are shared. Until that happens I believe the answer is actually comic swapping gremlins. They live in UPS and FedEx and USPS trucks and they are experts at sniffing out CGC cases so they can replace higher graded comics with their own lower graded drek. And they are experts at cracking and re sealing a case with their gremlin goo.

d) CGC has made it their mission to “get” op.  OP must “destroy” CGC in return.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

d) CGC has made it their mission to “get” op.  OP must “destroy” CGC in return.

Someone get @toro up to speed!

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

It's impossible to agree or disagree since there are so many levels of each defect. What is the the maximum amount of damage you can have under the description "light scuffing"? Is it a 1 inch section? 1/2 inch? When is a tiny tear no longer a tiny tear? Is the deduction on the outer edge of the cover the same as the spine? Way too many variables to draw a conclusion from 1 term.

Don't leave the boards from a bad experience with grading. Everyone here has had that disappointing grade on at least 1 of their books. Learn and move forward.

In order for a book to be downgraded from a grade of 9.4 or better to a grade of 8.0, the scuffing would have to be fairly substantial, IMO. (This is taking into account that the book didn't have any other flaws which may have impacted the grade). 

So while I'm genuinely sorry for the submitter, there seems to be a pretty large difference of opinion here. To be honest, if there was this big of a discrepancy in the grading room between a pre-grader and a finalizer, it would usually prompt what was commonly referred to as the walk of shame...  

SCUFFS? @The Lions Den

Comic Description:
Nintendo Power 6 5-6/89 Nintendo of America Inc.

Grader Notes:
Back Cover Lite Multiple Wear
Front Cover Lite Multiple Wear
Left Top Back Cover Small Crease
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Lite Stain

2020_11_18 11_44 AM Office Lens.jpg

2020_11_18 11_46 AM Office Lens.jpg

Can a book have grader's notes that says "Light scuffing" and be an 8.0?
Absolutely.  
Can there be other issues not put in grader's notes?
Yes.
If grader's notes = grade, then a book with no notes would be a 10.0.

Edited by kav

Mine looks like scuffs even, but they look lite?

Still an 8.5 so idk what it could be like on this persoms book.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Can a book have grader's notes that says "Light scuffing" and be an 8.0?
Absolutely.  
Can there be other issues not put in grader's notes?
Yes.

But definitely. Makes sense that they would point out what was the reason for the grade though, like if scuffs is mentioned then it was still the reason for the grade and the other stuff didnt outweigh it?

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

SCUFFS? @The Lions Den

Comic Description:
Nintendo Power 6 5-6/89 Nintendo of America Inc.

Grader Notes:
Back Cover Lite Multiple Wear
Front Cover Lite Multiple Wear
Left Top Back Cover Small Crease
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Lite Stain

2020_11_18 11_44 AM Office Lens.jpg

2020_11_18 11_46 AM Office Lens.jpg

Man they are thorough at CGC! Wonder why anyone ever questions them?

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Mine looks like scuffs even, but they look lite?

Still an 8.5 so idk what it could be like on this persoms book.

But definitely. Makes sense that they would point out what was the reason for the grade though, like if scuffs is mentioned then it was still the reason for the grade and the other stuff didnt outweigh it?

My understanding of grader's notes-and others can correct me as necessary-is that they are just notes.  Things maybe graders want to communicate to other graders.  They are not a list of all the defects.  They list things that might be overlooked.  Having light grader's notes and thinking that should mean a high grade is a misunderstanding of the function of grader's notes.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

My understanding of grader's notes-and others can correct me as necessary-is that they are just notes.  Things maybe graders want to communicate to other graders.  They are not a list of all the defects.  They list things that might be overlooked.  Having light grader's notes and thinking that should mean a high grade is a misunderstanding of the function of grader's notes.

That's concise and good enough for me.

In my last post I was typing while you had already edited and I didn't refresh to see, to include no notes may by determination equal a ten,

If all flaws were listed in notes, makes some sense or enough to hold weight

But thank you for reiterating to clarify what your reference was :)