• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Light scuffing = 8.0? Done with CGC
5 5

354 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Morganmi said:

So since its Friday and we have no pics of the book in question I 'm officially hijacking this thread to discuss this book that I bought that was cracked out, but the cracked case was sent with it, and had the grade 8.0 ghost rider 16 on it. It was sold to me dirt cheap at grade 8.0 so i'm not complaining at all, but the guy who sold it must have been furious at this grade and probably why it was cracked out. I've starred at this thing many times and cannot find why it was graded that way. The only flaws I see are a few NON color breaking creases along the spine and the wrap isn't perfect. Dosn't seem like this is enough to bring it down to 8.0  but maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts?

Ghost Rider #16.jpg

I see multiple CB spine tics on the FC (shrug)

11 hours ago, kav said:

My understanding of grader's notes-and others can correct me as necessary-is that they are just notes.  Things maybe graders want to communicate to other graders.  They are not a list of all the defects.  They list things that might be overlooked.  Having light grader's notes and thinking that should mean a high grade is a misunderstanding of the function of grader's notes.

I think that's probably correct. In the case of a book graded say 1.5 it would be quite a long list of notes. 

20 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Just from front .  plenty of ticks etc.20201120_234122.thumb.jpg.4b98c2aaa07f821f335294345fac2735.jpg20201120_234523.thumb.jpg.e430b17d8206328b5a6f71bbb794ddbb.jpg

looks to be a < shape scuff or scratch in box 20201120_234717.thumb.jpg.357eb2042c9de32a3a7d9f1b18e6985e.jpg

extreme over hang and offset wrap.20201120_234953.thumb.jpg.ac8b7ee58b1292f01667072d834d2cc0.jpg

bottom corner ding plus more extreme over hang from wrap.20201120_234838.jpg.4e6359d97c1601038a427a2e17272c4a.jpg

the last picture also shows the book has a stain in the grey shark body. Looks like the shape of a staple?.

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

the last picture also shows the book has a stain in the grey shark body. Looks like the shape of a staple?.

could also be a scrape.

28 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Good eye! Actually looks like a printing defect on close examamination,  looks at the grid of dots but only the darker dots are discolored and the lighter parts look normal. There is no indentation to indicate any scrape. 

20201121_212619.jpg

6 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

Good eye! Actually looks like a printing defect on close examamination,  looks at the grid of dots but only the darker dots are discolored and the lighter parts look normal. There is no indentation to indicate any scrape. 

20201121_212619.jpg

yes i see it now

2 minutes ago, kav said:

now if only OP would post a pic-
Another drive-by shouting?

Yea I was trying to give us something to get all riled up about while we waited for him but turns out they probably graded this correctly also. Dag nab it! lol

2 hours ago, Morganmi said:

20201121_212619.jpg

Oh that’ll buff right off.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, Fumbler said:

"Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!"

"Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!
Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!
Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!"

"Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho!
Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho!
Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho!"

"Joff-tchoff-tchoffo-tchoffo-tchoff!
Tchoff-tchoff-tchoffo-tchoffo-tchoff!
Joff-tchoff-tchoffo-tchoffo-tchoff!"

For those not in the know; some of the greatest lyrics in the history of music production. The drop @ 2:56 still holds up. 

On 11/20/2020 at 9:13 PM, Morganmi said:

So since its Friday and we have no pics of the book in question I 'm officially hijacking this thread to discuss this book that I bought that was cracked out, but the cracked case was sent with it, and had the grade 8.0 ghost rider 16 on it. It was sold to me dirt cheap at grade 8.0 so i'm not complaining at all, but the guy who sold it must have been furious at this grade and probably why it was cracked out. I've starred at this thing many times and cannot find why it was graded that way. The only flaws I see are a few NON color breaking creases along the spine and the wrap isn't perfect. Dosn't seem like this is enough to bring it down to 8.0  but maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts?

Ghost Rider #16.jpg

Fingerprints! Oils! Fingerprints! NCB ding. Fingerprints!

The culprit of many a 8.0.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I might have to reiterate something to new collectors, especially as it pertains to the OP.

He seems like a gambling man, buying raws, hoping CGC shares in his opinion of the condition of the book. My opinion

"BUY SLABS"

...you'll never be disappointed 

I think you learn more if you submit a bunch of books yourself.   

And the endless “How is this a 9.8?” threads tell me your last statement is false.