• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is In -- PGM Hedy of Hollywood 39
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Question for anyone with some grading experience:  According to the Overstreet grading guide, no "missing pieces" are allowed at even a 5.0 grade. Would those not be considered missing pieces at the top of the cover?  TIA...I am really new to grading and am trying to learn...

2 hours ago, Slyde said:

Question for anyone with some grading experience:  According to the Overstreet grading guide, no "missing pieces" are allowed at even a 5.0 grade. Would those not be considered missing pieces at the top of the cover?  TIA...I am really new to grading and am trying to learn...

Grading is subjective and has a lot of gray areas.  Case in point, from the Overstreet grading guide:

“NOTE: Certain defects are allowed if other defects are not present.”

So a defect that’s typically not allowed at a particular grade may be permissible if a number of other defects are not present. 

1 hour ago, MPH1964 said:

Grading is subjective and has a lot of gray areas.  Case in point, from the Overstreet grading guide:

“NOTE: Certain defects are allowed if other defects are not present.”

So a defect that’s typically not allowed at a particular grade may be permissible if a number of other defects are not present. 

That's a good explanation, and one it took me a long time here to understand. Added to which, Overstreet and CGC diverge in lots of different areas when you really get your head into CGC grading. They both follow the same standards in very broad strokes, but you can't really use Overstreet criteria to pinpoint a CGC grade.