• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double cover Nova #2
1 1

18 posts in this topic

If you’re submitting other moderns, it’s probably might be worth submitting with economies of scale

You might check the census to see if there are others 

but unless the grade is super high, double cover folks often want to be able to enjoy the double covers.

on the border for me, with leaning against

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

A double cover CGC 8.5 sold for $14?  

Double the cover does not always mean double the price. 

Here is the thing with double covers...are they cool? Heck yeah. But in terms of adding value, it kinda has to be on a book people want. A key issue or first appearance with a double (or multiple) covers? Sure that will sell for more than the regular book. But a "random" issue with a double cover? Not so much.

I had a high grade MTU #46 that was easily a 9.0 or better with 2 covers. It sold for $25 raw. Graded, well you'd be lucky to get double that which negates the point of grading it in the first place. Majority of double cover collectors collect them raw. They are willing to pay a bit more but not substantially so. 

Your book regularly is maybe a $10 book. With the double cover? $20-35 would be expected as a raw sale. You could spend the $30-40 to ship and grade but at the end of the day, this book graded would not sell for over $75. The only way I could see that happening is it you happened to have a 9.6 or 9.8 grade on it. 

Edited by comicginger1789

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Double the cover does not always mean double the price. 

Here is the thing with double covers...are they cool? Heck yeah. But in terms of adding value, it kinda has to be on a book people want. A key issue or first appearance with a double (or multiple) covers? Sure that will sell for more than the regular book. But a "random" issue with a double cover? Not so much.

I had a high grade MTU #46 that was easily a 9.0 or better with 2 covers. It sold for $25 raw. Graded, well you'd be lucky to get double that which negates the point of grading it in the first place. Majority of double cover collectors collect them raw. They are willing to pay a bit more but not substantially so. 

Your book regularly is maybe a $10 book. With the double cover? $20-35 would be expected as a raw sale. You could spend the $30-40 to ship and grade but at the end of the day, this book graded would not sell for over $75. The only way I could see that happening is it you happened to have a 9.6 or 9.8 grade on it. 

As someone who collects double cover books, and owns well over a hundred of them, I will simply say you have a lot to learn about them.  While the market for them isn't what it was ten years ago when Serpico and another deep pocketed collector were bidding up every book in sight, they still sell at nice premiums. I rarely sell mine, but recently traded a double cover Worlds Finest 199 to a dealer as part of a trade. I've never had a collector express regret that a DC was slabbed. With all the fakes these days, I'd think they prefer having CGC authenticate them.  Double cover collecting is a niche market that most people don't seem to really have a handle on. 

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

As someone who collects double cover books, and owns well over a hundred of them, I will simply say you have a lot to learn about them.  While the market for them isn't what it was ten years ago when Serpico and another deep pocketed collector were bidding up every book in sight, they still sell at nice premiums. I rarely sell mine, but recently traded a double cover Worlds Finest 199 to a dealer as part of a trade. I've never had a collector express regret that a DC was slabbed. With all the fakes these days, I'd think they prefer having CGC authenticate them.  Double cover collecting is a niche market that most people don't seem to really have a handle on. 

But how does one enjoy said duplicity when they are in a slab :(

28 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I mean if @shadroch would have paid me 3-5 times values on my MTU #46, maybe I know where to go to sell next time :)

Find me a book I don't already have a copy of and I will happily pay you a premium. While my dream of putting together a run of multi-cover Avengers has faded, I still need a book to complete my Avengers-Defenders War run. That book has been very elusive.

I'm in the process of consigning a few doubles to MCS.  Hopefully they sell for nice premiums.

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Find me a book I don't already have a copy of and I will happily pay you a premium. While my dream of putting together a run of multi-cover Avengers has faded, I still need a book to complete my Avengers-Defenders War run. That book has been very elusive.

I'm in the process of consigning a few doubles to MCS.  Hopefully they sell for nice premiums.

I hope you do well with sales and if I ever find a double cover from that arc, I will keep you in mind!

21 hours ago, shadroch said:

Or interest in....