• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Action #1 come to auction?
2 2

87 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It took a while for an unrestored Tec #27 to come to auction and now, it’s been some time since we’ve seen an unrestored Action #1 come to auction?

When do you guys think it will happen and what do you expect the demand will be when it does?

When it does, I think it will indicate the inevitable: that eventually supes will take the back seat. I know its sacrilege. But its commin ...

Bats has simply entered the public awareness as a central icon of modern western mythology.

nothin less ...🤭

4 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

When two unrestored 5.0 copies went head to head in 2018, Action #1 ended up about 40% higher than Tec 27, when the next unrestored Action 1 comes to market I expect a similar result (despite the fact that for 15+ years now on these boards, I keep hearing predictions that Tec27 will overtake Action 1 any day now).

Action 1 might just stay on top forever. You could be right. Problem is, that “forever” is a mighty long time.

4 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Action 1 might just stay on top forever. You could be right. Problem is, that “forever” is a mighty long time.

It is. The fact is, Superman sucks. But he is the jumping off point for every other costumed hero so for that reason alone Action #1 will always be the one to beat. Personally, if I were given the choices, my want list looks like Bat #1, Detective #27, Action #1.

45 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It is. The fact is, Superman sucks.

Oh yeah? I dare you to say it to his face. Actually I doubt he would care much. He'd probably be very pleasant about it. And you are probably one of the few who would rather own a Bat 1 over a 27 , but thats cool. It does kinda look better.

57 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Oh yeah? I dare you to say it to his face. Actually I doubt he would care much. He'd probably be very pleasant about it. And you are probably one of the few who would rather own a Bat 1 over a 27 , but thats cool. It does kinda look better.

That's not to say I wouldn't take a Tec 27. Bats 1 has it all, though. A classic splash, a short origin, 1st Joker, 1st Catwoman, Robin getting nailed in the head with a blackjack. I like the cover to Tec 27 a little more. But man. Bat 1 is my grail. Have held 4 different raws in my hands.

8 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

When two unrestored 5.0 copies went head to head in 2018, Action #1 ended up about 40% higher than Tec 27, when the next unrestored Action 1 comes to market I expect a similar result (despite the fact that for 15+ years now on these boards, I keep hearing predictions that Tec27 will overtake Action 1 any day now).

I don’t think Tec #27 is going to be overtaking Action #1 anytime soon.

Collectors born, roughly, 1980 and later were the first to live their childhoods with Batman as the No. 1 character in comics.

Most Action #1 and Tec #27 owners are older than 40, so realistically, we won’t see that shift take place for another 10-15 years, if it ever happens at all.

You can make a strong argument for either book. I’m partial to Action #1, but we’re going to have to wait a while longer before there is a real shot at the “grail of grails” being dethroned.

49 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

When detective 27 over took action 1 all those moons ago, both issues were fairly readily available in the 5 figure range. So it was much easier for even a $5,000 value change to shift the market. 
today it seems the distance between unrestored copies is more like 6 figures. And less and less folks seem to be able to afford even an entry level copy. Batman has been more popular than Superman for 30+ years , and yet over the past 10 years the distance between action 1 and detective 27 has actually consistently increased. 
not sure what dynamic will occur that would change positioning of the 2, now or in 15 years (and the majority of new owners are in their 30s and 40s from what I’ve seen). There are very few 50-70 year olds spending the kind of money needed to obtain a copy these days, largely because most remember when a copy could be had for 1/10th the price and aren’t willing to spend that at their stage on life 

What percentage of Action #1/Tec #27 owners in the world today are 39 or younger, in your opinion?

16 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

What percentage of Action #1/Tec #27 owners in the world today are 39 or younger, in your opinion?

The question should be what percent of new owners. 60 year olds that bought their copy in 1982 have no impact on current pricing. But the majority of new owners in the past 10 years are 30-50 year olds 

4 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

The question should be what percent of new owners. 60 year olds that bought their copy in 1982 have no impact on current pricing. But the majority of new owners in the past 10 years are 30-50 year olds 

What percentage of Action #1/Tec #27 owners, who acquired their copies between 2010-2020, are 39 or younger today, in your opinion?

11 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It took a while for an unrestored Tec #27 to come to auction and now, it’s been some time since we’ve seen an unrestored Action #1 come to auction?

When do you guys think it will happen and what do you expect the demand will be when it does?

3:27 pm on Saturday