• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Action #1 come to auction?
2 2

87 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

2021....and it will break all previous price records by a mile. I think if you can buy a copy thru a private sale...before this new sale...you will be like the guy that paid 850K for that D276.0 , just before  the 1.5M,,7.0.   Vince probably climbed up on a stool to kick himself. 

49 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Back in 1977 my boss became a millionaire and it was a huge deal for weeks.

My dad bought a house in Daily city SF for 18k in 1975 top of the hill mission area.

My dad than bought a house in Petaluma ca for 43k 4 bedroom in 1977.

1981 bought a house for 90k I could buy a copy of Action 1 in 1.5 for 2500. I bought my first copy of Tec 27 for 1300 so everything was cheap back than.

2007 i put my Restored ( VG/F - ) Tec 27 on ebay 25k reserve only got to 17k everyone wanted to know if it was a VG/F-.

I went and drove 6 hours to PGX to have it graded ( since it was Restored it was a cheap way to have book graded that i wanted to sell :preach: They did not have a bad wrap at that time ) it only got a 4.5 and the house i wanted had sold so i kept the book.

Now i hear that it might be a 300k book :whatthe: I am to old to enjoy 300k so i die and my kid will sell for a dime :facepalm: Ya some books i want like Sup 1 I cant get unless i sell this book doh!

EDIT

I could buy a Sup 1 i just wont pay 90k for a restored book that i could have got for 20k and under 20 years ago.

Great story ( ies ) Woo.  Love it thst by happenstance you still have your copy.

7 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Gator would know way better than me, I don't know any "new" owners of those books.

But...I do have a buddy that as of today owns a total of 7 slabbed books. 5 of them are the Jim Lee X-men #1, the other two are Superman #1 and Batman #1. (and he's 43, so I guess he doesn't make your cutoff)

None of us know for sure. I’d assume most Action #1/Tec #27 owners are 40 or older, but if that’s incorrect, the implications would be absolutely fascinating.

7 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

None of us know for sure. I’d assume most Action #1/Tec #27 owners are 40 or older, but if that’s incorrect, the implications would be absolutely fascinating.

Cumulatively I’m sure they are now older. But at time of purchase I’d guess most were younger than that ... it’s all relative 

10 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Action #1 is more than just a Superman book. Using the argument that one "likes" Batman more than Superman, or Superman "sucks", is all irrelevant... Action#1   (like the Mona Lisa to art ,  like the Honus Wagner T206 to card collecting,)  is now THE representative of all superhero comics and is THE ultimate grail in the superhero collecting market. 

It will be quite the feat to knock this collectible off of the top pedestal  IMHO

FISH 

I agree with all of that but if anyone is prime to do it t’s The Bat-Man 

17 hours ago, fishbone said:

for sure, only Tec #27 would be in the running, but respectfully  it ain't gonna happen I don't think 

I agree. I like Batman more and as a fan,  I prefer Tec27. But AC1 is the beginning of the hobby. The cover is iconic and I can't imagine even Tec27 catching it. 

22 hours ago, fishbone said:

Action #1 is more than just a Superman book. Using the argument that one "likes" Batman more than Superman, or Superman "sucks", is all irrelevant... Action#1   (like the Mona Lisa to art ,  like the Honus Wagner T206 to card collecting,)  is now THE representative of all superhero comics and is THE ultimate grail in the superhero collecting market. 

It will be quite the feat to knock this collectible off of the top pedestal  IMHO

FISH 

Couldn't have said it better myself. Honus Wagner is not even in the top 25 best known players dare I say Top 50

Action 1 started it all. Without Superman they would have stuck to detective comics... 27  would have been another one like the previous. But DC had a massive hit with there spandex super hero!!!

30 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Honus Wagner is not even in the top 25 best known players dare I say Top 50

Action 1 started it all. Without Superman they would have stuck to detective comics... 27  would have been another one like the previous. But DC had a massive hit with there spandex super hero!!!

The Phantom and Zorro actually predate the Great Samaritan ...