• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the next unrestored Action #1 come to auction?
2 2

87 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, zen514 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Honus Wagner is not even in the top 25 best known players dare I say Top 50

No serious scholar or devotee of baseball history wouldn’t put Wagner in their top 50. I’ve seen him in most top 25 lists as well.  :foryou:

13 hours ago, PopKulture said:

No serious scholar or devotee of baseball history wouldn’t put Wagner in their top 50. I’ve seen him in most top 25 lists as well.  :foryou:

Yes. Indeed but I wouldnt put him there. Sorta like Jerry West for NBA top 50. Different era but skillset imo wouldnt translate. Kinda a grandfathered deal. Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, zen514 said:

Yes. Indeed but I wouldnt put him there. Sorta like Jerry West for NBA top 50. Different era but skillset imo wouldnt translate. Kinda a grandfathered deal. Just my opinion. 

I won’t debate greatest athletes endlessly, as it just boils down to opinions at some point, but the stats are relevant up to that point of departure. West scored 27 points a game over his career! I’ve seen most of the greats and I believe two of the three best pure shooters ever are current NBA players: Curry and Durant. The other member of that trio was West. If shooting the ball from anywhere and making a high percentage of three-pointers before there was a three-point line doesn’t translate, I don’t know what does!

Same for Hans, consensus for the greatest shortstop of all-time by baseball writers that know a heck of a lot than me. In baseball, you field the ball, hit the ball, and run the bases. He did that as well as anyone. In my mind, those skills translate too.  

I’ve heard the arguments about today’s “training methods” and all that hub-bub. Lou Gehrig and guys from earlier eras ate non-GMO foods without added sugar and didn’t consume copious amounts of high-fructose corn syrup, so there’s that. Also, we have enough film on guys like Bob Feller, Joe Wood, and Lefty Grove to know they threw every bit as fast as Roger Clemens and Jake Arietta. I believe Jeter would’ve thrived in the 20’s just as much as Ruth would’ve thrilled in the 2000’s. 

Of course these are discussions best hashed out in pubs around the world, so most of these debates can wait! :tink:

And lest we get chastised for derailing this thread with sports drivel, let me just add to the Bats vs. Supes debate that Superman will always be the great discontinuity. There was nobody like him beforehand, and nobody since. (Well, except for Superboy, Supergirl, Superhorse, Streaky... maybe Mon-El.) He is the spark. He started it all.

Batman is utterly derivative. He is a costumed playboy detective, and there were many in the pulps before him. Even his driving force for justice, revenge, is not unique. Almost everything about Superman was or is unique. That said, I get where Batman is relatable: inherit a lot of money and do your calisthenics relentlessly and you might get there yourself. Heck, that was the Doc Savage method to a tee.

So, sure, Batman is popular with the public and Boardies alike, but there is every reason to believe if he had never come to be, we’d still have superheroes. That’s not as easily asserted with regards to Superman. 

How somebody with vastly more resources than myself ultimately decides to spend their money making either Action 1 or Detective 27 the most valuable is a different matter entirely. 2c

Edited by PopKulture

19 hours ago, zen514 said:
On 11/25/2020 at 11:29 AM, Mr bla bla said:

The Phantom and Zorro actually predate the Great Samaritan ...

Umm. Are you trying to compare the impact of Superman  to these two ?

Well, if this was Australia, I guess it would indeed be the Phantom because he apparently is THE BIG hero in the land down under.  :gossip:

Any bets this HTF key book here would be worth a whole ton more money if it had a Phantom cover instead of this humor cover here::cloud9:  :takeit:

lf?set=path%5B6%2F2%2F5%2F0%2F6250048%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if this was Australia, I guess it would indeed be the Phantom because he apparently is THE BIG hero in the land down under.  :gossip:

Any bets this HTF key book here would be worth a whole ton more money if it had a Phantom cover instead of this humor cover here::cloud9:  :takeit:

lf?set=path%5B6%2F2%2F5%2F0%2F6250048%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

The Phantom is preeeeeeetty cool.

Off course competing with the Great Samaritan is not easy.

On 11/21/2020 at 10:52 AM, Wayne-Tec said:

It took a while for an unrestored Tec #27 to come to auction and now, it’s been some time since we’ve seen an unrestored Action #1 come to auction?

When do you guys think it will happen and what do you expect the demand will be when it does?

If you mean COMPLETELY unrestored e.g. no pressing or any other fiddling...ahhhhhh...probably never.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

Often times, what we hope to be the true “first” isn’t. And as much as it would be cool for Superman to be the first meta-human/alien, super-powered, costume wearing, duel identity hero—he wasn’t. He owes a lot of his inspiration to others that came before.

What makes Superman special is the impact he had on the comic book industry and pop culture as a whole. If it weren’t for Action Comics #1, there would be no Detective Comics #27. There would be a Detective Comics #1, but chances are we wouldn’t care about it or assign much monetary value to it.

When you pick up a PS5 copy of “Spider-Man: Miles Morales”, you can credit Action Comics #1 for part of that. When you watch “Wonder Woman 1984”, you can credit Action Comics #1 for part of that.

Superman and Action Comics #1 would not have existed without prior inspiration, but it was Superman and Action Comics #1 that we can credit for what we now know the superhero genre to be.

It’s ok to be pre-dated by Popeye and The Phantom, but the universe that DC/Marvel/Superhero fans have grown to love was truly born in Action Comics #1.

Throw away your Action 1s and Superman 1s. 

1st comic book featuring a superhero -- Popeye, 1931

1st comic book with new material about a single character -- Clancy the Cop 1930    

Clancy the Cop 1930.jpg

Popeye 1 1931 ref.jpg

13 hours ago, bluechip said:

Throw away your Action 1s and Superman 1s. 

1st comic book featuring a superhero -- Popeye, 1931

1st comic book with new material about a single character -- Clancy the Cop 1930    

Showcase4, is that you?

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

Showcase4, is that you?

Naw, he'd go on about Obadiah Oldbuck, whereas I'd remind you that France's "Mr. Jabot" was earlier, and before him was Dr. Syntax, who appeared in a series of one panel cartoons that told a continuing story, beginning in 1809!