• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie collector question/Avengers #1 German edition

5 posts in this topic

HI all - have been collecting but basically just read once or twice and then stored for the most part...now preparing to part with some..one particular issue I am struggling to find any reference or value to, is the 1974 Die Rache, first print of the German edition of Avengers 1...I've seen this in demand on a couple of the chat rooms...can anyone give me an insight on how I might go about a valuation? much appreciated

IMG_5711[281].jpg

Options i can think of (not all of them are great, actually most of them aren't)

1. Send the comic or pictures to an auction house and see if they can estimate a price for you.

2.  DO some research to find a good comic appraiser and pay him to appraise it for you.

3.  List it on ebay for a price you know is too high and solicit offers to see how much people might be willing to pay.

4.  Put the comic in an auction somewhere and sell it.

5. You might have already done it, but look for 'sold' data on ebay or GPA analysis (they collect CGC sold comic data).

6.  See if any other countries have similar reprints and do some price analysis and modeling on available data and see what you get.

7.  Contact various comic book stores in Germany (see if you can find the older ones) and see if they have an idea of pricing.

of course, make sure you account for the grade in your valuation

good luck.

On 11/21/2020 at 7:22 PM, Kesol said:

HI all - have been collecting but basically just read once or twice and then stored for the most part...now preparing to part with some..one particular issue I am struggling to find any reference or value to, is the 1974 Die Rache, first print of the German edition of Avengers 1...I've seen this in demand on a couple of the chat rooms...can anyone give me an insight on how I might go about a valuation? much appreciated

IMG_5711[281].jpg

Grand Comics Database has a fully indexed listing for a hundred or so issues.

Value is going to be trickier. You could ask a question on here: 

A lot of people collect sets of covers from all of the foreign editions. You might get lucky. :wishluck:

It looks like one sale is tracked using one of the industry standards around here.  comics.gpanalysis.com lists one sold but:

1. It was sold in 2011
  2. It was graded
  3. It was much higher grade than yours appears to be

That said the graded 9.0 went for $200 in 2011.

My collection is almost entirely foreign comics, I also sell quite a few foreign comics on ebay. That is considered 1st print for Germany and isn't technically a "reprint" Foreign collecting is gaining rapidly in popularity and that is considered a coveted book although not especially rare. I have sold a couple around $100-150 depending on condition and if it has the marvel value stamp inside. Yours looks nice so I would list at $200 and take offers. All of the foreign keys are drying up pretty quick and the foreign sellers are now demanding more money than they were a couple years ago.

Edited by steve566