• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

307 posts in this topic

I wanted to separate this from the main discussion, as many of the "Resto Book in a Universal Holder" supporters are ducking the main issue.

Why is this so integral and important to the hobby and collectors, that the CGC Restored label color must be changed from Purple to Blue, and thereby risk all the good will CGC has built up til now?

Remember, keep all answers personal (i.e. no "CGC will make more $$$" ones) and based on COLOR ONLY, as all these new resto grades, alpha scores, notes, etc. are outside the discussion, as they are not color-dependant. Purple, blue, red orange, or yellow, CGC could still add stuff to a new label design.

Myself:

Pro: confused-smiley-013.gif

Con: Makes it harder to differentiate between Restored and True Universal books, not only by scammers, but also newbs, knobs and slobs who only post small scans. CGC is *supposed* to make buying online easier, but it just got a lot more complicated.

It will create buyer confusion and potential distrust due to continued inconsistency. All it will take is to get burned once on an over-priced BLOD you thought was Universal, and new collectors will take off.

Changing to blue labels will enable sellers to more easily deflect the resto question and, hopefully, get more money for their comic.

I can already hear the discussion..."CGC changed to blue labels because all resto is not equal and this fine trimmed example here is one of the mildest forms of resto out there. I'm surprised they ever put these in purple slabs in the first place..."

Jim

Hmm, I'll try.

I think it gets to whether you think the extreme stigmatization of restored books is appropriate.

Now some people on here do seem to view their books as either pure = unrestored or sullied = restored. For those folks, the Scarlet Letter is the PLOD, and it's important to them.

For others, restoration is just another characteristic of the book, just like color-breaking creases, spine roll, or foxing stains or date stamps. In other words, restoration is a defect like any other that needs to be balanced against other features of the book in determining its value.

Instead, because of the already-mentioned anal-retentive nature of collectors (and admit it, we all exhibit some such traits to a greater or lesser extent), the PLOD stands out as more than just another bit of information-- it really is the screaming Scarlet Letter that says this book is different not just in degree, but different in kind from the others. Whether you think that's appropriate depends upon whether you have a binary restored/unrestored view.

Here's a thought experiment: Imagine CGC came up with an Orange Label for all books with date stamps. What would be the reaction?

1- Date stamp haters would probably be happy (or at least indifferent)

2- Dealers & collectors holding date stamped books would likely be pissed 'cause of fear their inventory value will go down (read on to see why...)

3- There is a 3rd class: collectors who might up until then have never given date stamps much thought-- but now start to wonder: What's wrong with all these date stamped books that CGC has to slap them with a special label?

It's acknowledging that CGC labelling is doing more than simply imparting info-- it's also driving collecting preferences for some.

The PLOD communicates information, yes, but some believe it over-communicates. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmm, I'll try.

I think it gets to whether you think the extreme stigmatization of restored books is appropriate.

Now some people on here do seem to view their books as either pure = unrestored or sullied = restored. For those folks, the Scarlet Letter is the PLOD, and it's important to them.

For others, restoration is just another characteristic of the book, just like color-breaking creases, spine roll, or foxing stains or date stamps. In other words, restoration is a defect like any other that needs to be balanced against other features of the book in determining its value.

Instead, because of the already-mentioned anal-retentive nature of collectors (and admit it, we all exhibit some such traits to a greater or lesser extent), the PLOD stands out as more than just another bit of information-- it really is the screaming Scarlet Letter that says this book is different not just in degree, but different in kind from the others. Whether you think that's appropriate depends upon whether you have a binary restored/unrestored view.

Here's a thought experiment: Imagine CGC came up with an Orange Label for all books with date stamps. What would be the reaction?

1- Date stamp haters would probably be happy (or at least indifferent)

2- Dealers & collectors holding date stamped books would likely be pissed 'cause of fear their inventory value will go down (read on to see why...)

3- There is a 3rd class: collectors who might up until then have never given date stamps much thought-- but now start to wonder: What's wrong with all these date stamped books that CGC has to slap them with a special label?

It's acknowledging that CGC labelling is doing more than simply imparting info-- it's also driving collecting preferences for some.

The PLOD communicates information, yes, but some believe it over-communicates. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Damn, you're good! yay.gif

Changing to blue labels will enable sellers to more easily deflect the resto question and, hopefully, get more money for their comic.

I can already hear the discussion..."CGC changed to blue labels because all resto is not equal and this fine trimmed example here is one of the mildest forms of resto out there. I'm surprised they ever put these in purple slabs in the first place..."

Jim

A book with trimming would get the worst possible score on the restoration scale, so the buyer would have to be completely ignorant of both (a) the meaning of the restoration score and (b) the nature of trimming to fall for that -- and if you've got such a buyer, the purple label and trimming notation wouldn't dissuade him from buying the same book in the current holder.

But your argument only works on books with VERY moderate resto.In the case of a single micro-dot of color touch or a tiny stain cleaned, I might agree.

But that is NOT what is being proposed, and the Universal label would iclude ALL restored books.

I can't imagine the type of backlash against CGC, if they put a seriously restored book, with virtually reconstructed covers and internals, in a Universal slab. Some of these Franken-books are pretty freaky POS examples, and often have more new/fake material than original.

Are you really advocating putting one of these, no matter the notation, in a Blue Universal slab? 893whatthe.gif

A book with trimming would get the worst possible score on the restoration scale,

But how is this info on a BLUE label BETTER than the current solution of using a PURPLE one? That's the question being posed here, which you're doing a great job of dancing around. foreheadslap.gif

But your argument only works on books with VERY moderate resto.In the case of a single micro-dot of color touch or a tiny stain cleaned, I might agree.

But that is NOT what is being proposed, and the Universal label would iclude ALL restored books.

I can't imagine the type of backlash against CGC, if they put a seriously restored book, with virtually reconstructed covers and internals, in a Universal slab. Some of these Franken-books are pretty freaky POS examples, and often have more new/fake material than original.

Are you really advocating putting one of these, no matter the notation, in a Blue Universal slab? 893whatthe.gif

It wouldn't be a Blue Universal slab. It would be a Blue RESTORED slab with a big honkin' word "RESTORED" on the label and a big restoration score of "1" if the book were a frankenbook.

Well, a true POS resto attempt would get a low grade. An Apparent POS is still a POS, eh? 27_laughing.gif

At the risk of the inevitable flamed.gif I'll say for professionally-done extensive restoration jobs, yep-- put it in a Blue-labelled holder, with an Apparent 9.x instead of an adjectiveless 9.x grade, and the appropriate label notes so you know what was done to it. If you feel such a book is a Franken-book, then no surprise you'll want to stigmatize it-- others might not see it in the same way.

But the question about new material outweighing original material I don't have an answer for, other than to guess that CGC must have some current standard for distinguishing between PLODs and out-right forgeries or recreations. Anybody know the answer to that one? confused-smiley-013.gif

A book with trimming would get the worst possible score on the restoration scale,

But how is this info on a BLUE label BETTER than the current solution of using a PURPLE one? That's the question being posed here, which you're doing a great job of dancing around. foreheadslap.gif

Because there is no need to have separate color labels. Even collectors who like restored books (because they're more affordable) don't like seeing a purple label amid a sea of blue labels. A trimmed book isn't a "bad" book. It's just a less valuable book, and for someone (for example, someone on a limited comic budget) who wants a nice looking copy of an expensive book but can't afford an unrestored copy in high grade, restored books present a good option for getting nice looking books on a budget. There's no reason to stigmatize those books beyond the communication of the fact that it has been trimmed, so that those who don't like trimmed books can stay away. Zonk's analogy to the Scarlet Letter is apt.

I need to get some work done, so I'll leave this thread with one last comment:

I steadfastly refuse to support a change in the CGC grading structure that will reward sellers like a "key comic dealer" on EBay, and potentially make the restoration practice more lucrative, and lead to even more books going under the knife.

I steadfastly refuse to support a change in the CGC grading structure that will reward sellers like a "key comic dealer" on EBay, and potentially make the restoration practice more lucrative, and lead to even more books going under the knife.

When was the last time you had a positive comment about anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A trimmed book isn't a "bad" book.

That's your opinion, not mine, or that of other collectors.

Don't take my words out of context. If you're going to quote me, quote the part that explains the comment.

When was the last time you had a positive comment about anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif has a ring of truth to it....

Any how, isn't it the same reasoning that got CGC to change it's "brown" modern labels to the universal blue holder? Who wants of run of any title with different coloured labels...you should just read your own posts to see how anal any one of us collectors can be!! I'll start a poll....should PLOD be changed to a blue label with noted restoration and degree of restoration clearly explained on the new blue label?

Any how, isn't it the same reasoning that got CGC to change it's "brown" modern labels to the universal blue holder? Who wants of run of any title with different coloured labels...you should just read your own posts to see how anal any one of us collectors can be!! I'll start a poll....should PLOD be changed to a blue label with noted restoration and degree of restoration clearly explained on the new blue label?

No sumo.gif

No sumo.gif

Way to give it some thought stooges.gif

BTW the poll in not in this thread gossip.gif

Any how, isn't it the same reasoning that got CGC to change it's "brown" modern labels to the universal blue holder?

Nope, a Modern was simply an UNRESTORED comic from a more recent vintage. Thre was no physical difference between the books, and as more time went by, the Modern label outlived its usefulness and was retired.

You do realize, that Modern books that were found to have restoration, did receive the PLOD.. right?