• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

307 posts in this topic

foreheadslap.gif

So what your saying is there is no more such thing as a modern book and that is why the brown label is not around anymore?

Ask CGC, and they'll tell you the same thing. As time passes, what is classified as "Modern" also changes.

What was Modern 30 years ago? 20? 10? The term shifts and will continue to do so.

foreheadslap.gif

So what your saying is there is no more such thing as a modern book and that is why the brown label is not around anymore?

There is still a modern tier for grading service, but no modern label grin.gif

I need to get some work done, so I'll leave this thread with one last comment:

I steadfastly refuse to support a change in the CGC grading structure that will reward sellers like a "key comic dealer" on EBay, and potentially make the restoration practice more lucrative, and lead to even more books going under the knife.

When was the last time you had a positive comment about anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think he was positive there are a lot of fat, immature, ignorant whiners on the boards.

I used to be in favor of Purple label. Now I am against it. Why? Because the Purple Label succors the opinion that all restored is the same restored. It makes for laziness (look at the label color, not the label text). It dissaudes people from really researching the various aspects of restoration and finally coming to a valid personal conclusion as to what is acceptable to them and what is not. Having a blue label and forcing the text to be read is a great learning tool.

As far as the old ebay scam chestnut, what scam? The scam of having tiny scans that hide myriad flaws or resto label notations? Should we even be SUPPORTING such scammers by buying from them?

Or the poor ignorant but good-intentioned seller that just uses a bunch of small or LQ scans showing insufficient detail to determine anything about the book but just doesn't know any better? Again, rushed and good-intentioned as they may be, such sales should not be supported unless they can provide a bigger, better scan. And to my thinking, if they can provide a better scan, it should have been used in the auction in the first place.

Modifying the label is easier? It was easy to modify the Purple label if someone is going to be blatant about scamming.

We aren;t baby's needing a nursemaid. We are intelligent, discerning and should have the ability to take such objections as the ebay scam thing with the proper perception: that if someone is going to scam the color of the label is the least thing to worry about. And anyone finding confort and solace in the color of the label as a scam preventer is asking for a fleecing.

foreheadslap.gif

Ask CGC, and they'll tell you the same thing. As time passes, what is classified as "Modern" also changes.

What was Modern 30 years ago? 20? 10? The term shifts and will continue to do so.

The post-1974 requirement ("* Modern service is limited to books published from 1975 to the present.") for the Modern Tier has not changed since its inception. grin.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I understand. I still don't think that is why the brown label was done away with. I think the real reason some collectors want to see the change is because

a) the purple label has a negative connotation with it

b) prices realized should go up for restored books

c) fits better in a collection with predominantly unrestored books

The post-1974 requirement ("* Modern service is limited to books published from 1975 to the present.") for the Modern Tier has not changed since its inception. grin.gif

So, you're the type of person who is against fixing a potential flaw before it gets out of hand, and instead you wait for the last minute before taking action? Not me. I fix stuff when I discover the issue, not the exact moment the dam bursts.

But hey, it takes all kinds.

I think the real reason some collectors want to see the change is because

I agree, but the first two are also why DEALERS have been pushing CGC for the change. These are short-sighted, "gimme my money now" people who give no though to the long-term ramifications.

Personally, I think it's all wishful thinking, and that Restored books will continue to be shunned and prices won't budge an inch. But this move will irritate and confuse some current buyers, and drive collectors from the market.

So, you're the type of person who is against fixing a potential flaw before it gets out of hand, and instead you wait for the last minute before taking action? Not me. I fix stuff when I discover the issue, not the exact moment the dam bursts.

Diva's flaws are unfixable...he's just learned to live with himself hence his philosophy on colelcting as well....for the record, diva agrees with you on the PLOD/Blue issue....dont'cha my misguided west coast buddy? stooges.gif

I think the real reason some collectors want to see the change is because

I agree, but the first two are also why DEALERS have been pushing CGC for the change. These are short-sighted, "gimme my money now" people who give no though to the long-term ramifications.

Personally, I think it's all wishful thinking, and that Restored books will continue to be shunned and prices won't budge an inch. But this move will irritate and confuse some current buyers, and drive collectors from the market.

I think that restored prices have started to climb. I also think it is not just the dealers but many collectors as well. Let's face it. A rare book in unrestored 9.4 going for, say, $10 000 should not all of a sudden become a $1000 book because of a dot of colour touch. If that dot was from a newstand marker when the book was printed it would not bear that stygma. Another point. Let's say you have a book that was "touched up" by a 7 year old kid. Is this a restored 9.4 book, or a book with writing on the cover that may fetch a 8.5/9.0? So there is more than one issue here, but let's not make it worse by giving it the "scarlett letter"....let's not get religious about the purple label and then miss the point all together....that colecting is supposed to be fun!!

I steadfastly refuse to support a change in the CGC grading structure that will reward sellers like a "key comic dealer" on EBay, and potentially make the restoration practice more lucrative, and lead to even more books going under the knife.

When was the last time you had a positive comment about anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I happen to agree with Vince on this one - yes, hell has frozen over. insane.gif

Does this last comment make any sense to anyone? Or did Vince reply to the wrong post? screwy.gif

Diva's flaws are unfixable...he's just learned to live with himself hence his philosophy on colelcting as well....for the record, diva agrees with you on the PLOD/Blue issue....dont'cha my misguided west coast buddy? stooges.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif What are you guys talking about?

Does this last comment make any sense to anyone? Or did Vince reply to the wrong post? screwy.gif

Read the ENTIRE conversation, as I cannot quote thousands of lines for the ADD crowd. foreheadslap.gif

Basically it comes down to two choices for the Modern Label:

1) Get rid of it now, before 20-30 more years have passed and Modern subs are viewed as 1995 and newer.

2) Wait 20-30 years until the situation blows up in your face, then change it.

I prefer Option 1, which CGC incidentally chose as well.

Read the ENTIRE conversation, as I cannot quote thousands of lines for the ADD crowd. foreheadslap.gif

Basically it comes down to two choices for the Modern Label:

1) Get rid of it now, before 20-30 more years have passed and Modern subs are viewed as 1995 and newer.

2) Wait 20-30 years until the situation blows up in your face, then change it.

I prefer Option 1, which CGC incidentally chose as well.

Perhaps you should just reply to the point you are in disagreement with, and the poster who made it - talk about a non sequitur screwy.gif

I personally agree with JC here, FFB. I think that indicating degree of restoration is a GREAT idea and communicates more info (which isn't a CGC trend btw). However, If restored goes blue, then why don't we change the signature series and Qualified slabs into Blue as well. The arguments could be made for those as well (which I don't agree with).

So, in the grade, just put U for Universal, Q for qualified, R for restored, and SS for Signature series, and make it a nice generic blue label. foreheadslap.gif or better yet, allow the customer select from any one of 256 colors, since color will now be irrelevant.

I personally agree with JC here, FFB. I think that indicating degree of restoration is a GREAT idea and communicates more info (which isn't a CGC trend btw). However, If restored goes blue, then why don't we change the signature series and Qualified slabs into Blue as well. The arguments could be made for those as well (which I don't agree with).

So, in the grade, just put U for Universal, Q for qualified, R for restored, and SS for Signature series, and make it a nice generic blue label. foreheadslap.gif or better yet, allow the customer select from any one of 256 colors, since color will now be irrelevant.

Qualified books WILL get blue slabs under the new system. Sig series books will remain yellow because the yellow label is considered a positive in the marketplace, not a stigmatization.

I think maybe it is a symptom of the evolution of the hobby to a point where restoration is more widley accepted and not all treated with one big broad brushstroke.

On the negative side, there's no doubt it creates a window of opportunity (perhaps a

large one) for scammers to exploit, but the label can still show the restored nature of a book in other ways (large letters beside numerical grade, etc) as others have suggested. Just on principle I wouldn't let what scammers might do steer the hobby.

And the consumer (hobbyist) in general is better informed than some might give them credit for. I don' t think there will be large numbers of cases where somebody mistakenly buys a restored book believing it's not....

Besides, aren't 20% of people color blind? 27_laughing.gif

And by the way, don't think that by agreeing with him he'll be nice to you. poke2.gif David tried that and JC spat in his face.