• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bye Bye DC Comics?
2 2

204 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Public domain

The constant extending of copyright has ruined characters and stifled imagination and creativity

Characters created in 1938 have no business being copyright protected. 

This is what I was going to say. All these characters should have been public domain decades ago. All the creators are dead and it's ridiculous that one company can own something they had no hand in creating. Copyright laws are BS. Thanks a lot Disney. If anyone could make a Batman comic or movie we would have much better and more interesting stuff.

9 hours ago, D2 said:

Article has Ethan Van Scabies name attached. 

Ethan is a doomsdayer and bitter little person_without_enough_empathy who was blackballed by the major publishers for being himself.

Nothing to see here people. Move along...

6A58751E-CA05-46A7-979F-B1FED8E89641.gif

how seriously am i supposed to take a guy who doesn't know the difference between pare and pair?

3 minutes ago, catman76 said:
8 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Public domain

The constant extending of copyright has ruined characters and stifled imagination and creativity

Characters created in 1938 have no business being copyright protected. 

This is what I was going to say. All these characters should have been public domain decades ago. All the creators are dead and it's ridiculous that one company can own something they had no hand in creating. Copyright laws are BS. Thanks a lot Disney. If anyone could make a Batman comic or movie we would have much better and more interesting stuff.

It's an interesting thought

What's the thought process on if there were no copyrights, how would yo have a canon?

Would it be referred to as just the original story for batman from 1939 to whenever the copyright ended?

16 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

" Only the best creative teams are going to be allowed to work on them, but they are going to be working for subsistence-level pay.”

Possibly an exaggeration.  I can't envisage a scenario such as...

"I used to write three books a month for DC, but after the cutbacks and with their punitively-reduced pay rates I discovered that I could earn more by working as an Appalachian miner instead."

The reason I suggested Amazon Prime is that I'm already watching DC material there; Swamp Thing, Stargirl, Preacher, and The Boys, the last of which was originally published by them for a short while.

The small acorns are already in place.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, kav said:

I like that site.  I cannot read Bleeding Cool any more as it has so many ads and popups I can never scroll down.

Just had a look at it, Kav.

On my phone it's a problem, especially with small, embedded videos, but my laptop's ad blocker seems very effective.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Just had a look at it, Kav.

On my phone it's a problem, especially with small, embedded videos, but my laptop's ad blocker seems very effective.

I have a chromebook and I just cannot scroll that site.  If users need some Cray mega computer to read your site, you have too many ads in my bumble opinion.

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

I don't know if I agree. There would be a ton of trashy stories and movies, dragging down the good stuff. Just like public domain movies. It's a miracle if you can find a watchable copy. I'd rather the copyright holder's keep ownership of the properties so that we can rely on them to guarantee authenticity and (to some extent) quality.

15 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I don't know if I agree. There would be a ton of trashy stories and movies, dragging down the good stuff. Just like public domain movies. It's a miracle if you can find a watchable copy. I'd rather the copyright holder's keep ownership of the properties so that we can rely on them to guarantee authenticity and (to some extent) quality.

A way to test that would be to get boardies' opinions on Dynamite Comics' output.  Many of their books use public domain super-hero characters.  It's a possible, current benchmark.

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Do Iwant to see Superman on a can of Bud Lite?

I read this and was all up in arms.. HELL NO!!  What a disgrace!! Think of the children!!!

But then, I saw this...

16 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

2904367C-5209-4EC0-B055-7C72819D12E3.jpeg

And I have retracted my earlier position and replaced it with a desire to get faced on bat branded dark ale. 

The morning after getting " faced" on Bat Ale.FB_IMG_1499824891815.jpg.7a3295c559aab02a11297fc5716cb4da.jpg

But who knows what may happen with DC ..224019700_FB_IMG_1486434010530(1).jpg.1b46bc27876febe36863b15eea120071.jpg

I just feel bad for some of the lower workers as now they will have to moonlight to subsidize their income.FB_IMG_1488745216384.jpg.4b5514be47086fcb46e1e18488c7e941.jpg