• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bye Bye DC Comics?
2 2

204 posts in this topic

Miles and Kamala are great characters and have highly-readable stories, whether for a teenager or a fiftysomething like me.  Nothing wrong with the comics. Some of the best mainstream of the past decade or so.

Deservedly popular.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

The kiddies love miles morales.... 

They sure do. Look, I know Marvel has received a lot of heat from older fans for introducing a ton of new and different characters over the last decade, and I understand where these people are coming from, but kids are enjoying these characters, books and other media. Many of these characters and their life experiences are relatable, which is what made Marvel a success in the 60s. It's also what is going to keep Marvel pumping out comics, IMO. There is a lot of runway with these kids.

Just an observation from watching my kids and others in my neighborhood - 

There are a few DC properties that kids enjoy and are accessable to kids - Lego Batman, Teen Titans Go, and Super Hero Girls (kinda), but nothing on the scale of what Marvel is doing. Also, DC isn't really offering up any new characters that kids seem to go crazy for. I see far more kids dressed up as Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen than I do Harley Quinn or Punchline. 

DC has put out some great reads over the last five years, but it has been at the expense of generating new/younger readers. They need to do both. DC had a stable of characters/titles such as Static and Batman Beyond that came long before this new age of Marvel characters, but unless DC sticks the landing with these characters, it's going to look like a ham handed, formulaic rip off of Marvel.  

Edited by awakeintheashes

2 minutes ago, Monstro said:

Terrible article. Guy’s a subpar clickbait artist. 

Agree. Anything featuring EVS as a source of information should be taken with a grain of salt chased by turpentine. 

Clickbait.

Yes, I expect some pretty brutal title contraction from DC. This won't be the first time one of the major publishers has slashed their title list, not will it be the last. DC has made some unforced errors over the last few years but I don't think anyone is sticking the fork in them quite yet.

52 minutes ago, kav said:

Remember when Marvel was getting out of comics and they put Stan lee in charge?  Hey maybe something like that will happen!

Wouldn’t that also require the new boss to be a visionary with an idea for a direction in comics that would be quite novel and have a greater, mass market appeal, despite critics claiming that all we have now from DC is lazy, safe, tiring repetition of old story ideas?

I’d be impressed if a saviour on that level appeared again, I really would.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Wouldn’t that also require the new boss to be a visionary with an idea for a direction in comics that would be quite novel and have a greater, mass market appeal, despite critics claiming that all we have now from DC is lazy, safe repetition of old story ideas?

I’d be impressed if a saviour on that level appeared again, I really would.

Me too.  It would require someone who wanted to try something new, who didnt care if it worked or not because they are cancelling everything anyway.
It would be some nobody with more talent than the pros, of which there are quite a few of, BTW, who will never ever manage to break into comics.