• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bye Bye DC Comics?
2 2

204 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

They should cease comic books and simply license the characters out. A smaller more nimble publisher could make it profitable. The last time I was at the DC offices was in 96. The chairs in the reception room were actually art pieces by  Shiro Kuramata (How High the Moon chair). Manhattan real estate Is ridiculous expensive. I can get Batman made from my shed and the end user would not see a difference in quality. Their overhead is stupid high for them.

yep and go back to newsprint so people can actually read the books without constant shifting because of the glare problem.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, MisterX said:

Penguin Random House has been buying up publishers for years.  I could see them being interested in DC.

If graphic novels are the winners of the Darwinian comics publishing formant struggle, how could the largest US mainstream publisher resist?

Penguin Random House Buys Simon & Schuster For Over $2 Billion (bleedingcool.com)

Apparently I'm not the only one speculating that Penguin Random House (and now Simon & Schuster) might be interested in DC.

3 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

They should cease comic books and simply license the characters out. A smaller more nimble publisher could make it profitable. The last time I was at the DC offices was in 96. The chairs in the reception room were actually art pieces by  Shiro Kuramata (How High the Moon chair). Manhattan real estate Is ridiculous expensive. I can get Batman made from my shed and the end user would not see a difference in quality. Their overhead is stupid high for them.

I have to wonder how much office space they use nowadays (particularly post covid), but even before then. it isn't a business where you necessarily need much of a central office. editors and other talent can work from anywhere.

People consume content in different ways today than years past.  For instance, I used to pay for comics and now I don't.  I hope that lack of revenue isn't hurting creators or causing a disincentive to produce such content.  Heck!  Even lawyers do pro bono work!  :wink:

20 hours ago, kav said:

yep and go back to newsprint so people can actually read the books without constant shifting because of the glare problem.

Probably no more staining on modern comics though because they are so slick that any liquid would just run off without a stain🤣🤣😷

2 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Probably no more staining on modern comics though because they are so slick that any liquid would just run off without a stain🤣🤣😷

I can confirm that concentrated triflic acid will not just run off without staining.  The book seems to erupt into flames.

Just now, kav said:

It was most likely an endothermic reaction then-you need to add heat.

True. Although I was referring to the Esterification of your comic. :whatthe: 

But then again some heat and a nice press will probably clean that up nicely (thumbsu

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

True. Although I was referring to the Esterification of your comic. :whatthe: 

mail.gif