• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bye Bye DC Comics?
2 2

204 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2020 at 1:11 AM, MisterX said:

No, Rich Johnson is also speculating, if you just click on the article. 

He also believes that Steve Ditko might've created Venom. 

Anyway, back to comics... scaling back to 12 core titles probably makes sense for a while. if they could do 48 page comics and not jack up the price and have back up features to keep some characters alive that would probably be smart. 

Maybe 32 pages is more economical, i dunno. We could have 25,000 print runs done for like 25 cents each: https://mixam.com/comicbooks.... printing cost is certainly not an issue as DC must have lower costs ... they can probably pay talent not that much to do back up stories. 

https://www.jimkeefe.com/archives/3644 :

Pencil Art $100-400
Ink Art $75-300
Lettering $40-50
Coloring $100-150

Why do inkers and colorers make nearly as much as the penciler? (And why are there even letterers anymore?) Isn't coloring done on computers mostly nowadays? And while a good inker helps a ton, the penciler has to create the whole thing from scratch?  

Anyway, I know, this is off topic. 

Edited by the blob

But really though, 12 titles, 50,000 copies sold each... $1.50 of that to DC comics? $900K revenue a month for their whole publishing business? (At least comics) That's barely a business anymore. Or do they think 12 titles means 100-150K sales each month?

4 hours ago, the blob said:

Anyway, back to comics... scaling back to 12 core titles probably makes sense for a while. if they could do 48 page comics and not jack up the price and have back up features to keep some characters alive that would probably be smart. 

Maybe 32 pages is more economical, i dunno. We could have 25,000 print runs done for like 25 cents each: https://mixam.com/comicbooks.... printing cost is certainly not an issue as DC must have lower costs ... they can probably pay talent not that much to do back up stories. 

Pencil Art $100-400
Ink Art $75-300
Lettering $40-50
Coloring $100-150

Why do inkers and colorers make nearly as much as the penciler? (And why are there even letterers anymore?) Isn't coloring done on computers mostly nowadays? And while a good inker helps a ton, the penciler has to create the whole thing from scratch?  

Depends on the penciler and inker. I’ve seen some pencils that pretty much leave the entire job to the inker. Coloring on a computer doesn’t sound much easier than coloring with Copics. I couldn’t do either way. I’m surprised a page can vary from $215 per finished page to $900 per finished page 

6 hours ago, the blob said:

Pencil Art $100-400
Ink Art $75-300
Lettering $40-50
Coloring $100-150

Coloring is a ton of work.  I do pencils and inks and hire a colorist when needed-it takes them a lot longer than me to do their job.  Letterers is more than you think-you have to fit word balloons in in a proper sequence.  Often the writer does not take this into consideration when they --script, nor the penciler when they pencil, so it can be a challenge.  Optimally the first person speaking should be on the left.  Fitting word balloons and not covering up critical panel details can sometimes be impossible.

Edited by kav

On 11/25/2020 at 12:29 PM, the blob said:

Is Time Warner about to go bankrupt? I didn't read the article, but are they thinking of unloading the DC properties or just scaling back on publishing? I don't think this is a Marvel firesale in the 1990s situation. Time Warner just wants to lose less money in publishing. I am not sure that, other than maybe during some period in the 90s, they ever really made money in publishing. Maybe they can no longer justify the losses in publishing used to generate IP as they have a huge quantity of character and story lines and other stuff already they can utilize for TV and movies.

It has been hinted, that DC monthlies are going to be trimmed back to only the most popular and important books and characters.  That would leave them publishing Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, WW, Justice League, maybe Aquaman, and some of the Batman family.  So maybe 15 to 20 titles would survive.  Everything else would be publish as graphic novels, quarterlies, etc.

14 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Over saturation of titles has been happening for the last 15 years.   IMHO, this was inevitable, COVID or not.   

Go to the Modern Section of this very board.  Nobody talks about content, because 90% of the usual posters in Modern don't read the insides.  It's variant this, Del Otto cover that.    I tried to start a conversation about Immortal Hulk storyline, and got about 5 responses in 10 weeks.  Go start a conversation about 1:100 print run, and you get days of responses and expertise.   

Rather pathetic. 

BINGO BINGO BINGO

52 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Over saturation of titles has been happening for the last 15 years.   IMHO, this was inevitable, COVID or not.   

Go to the Modern Section of this very board.  Nobody talks about content, because 90% of the usual posters in Modern don't read the insides.  It's variant this, Del Otto cover that.    I tried to start a conversation about Immortal Hulk storyline, and got about 5 responses in 10 weeks.  Go start a conversation about 1:100 print run, and you get days of responses and expertise.   

Rather pathetic. 

You're just speculating, or rather, they are!  :wink:

43 minutes ago, kav said:

BINGO BINGO BINGO

Relating to the other thread, wouldn't it be funny if the final DC comic had a cover that had the DCU revert to baby chimps?!  The final devolution!  The end is the beginning!  :wink:

Edited by Coverless 9.8

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Rather pathetic. 

Yup. I made a few reading suggestions similar to the titles being discussed there and it was like hitting a brick wall.

A few years ago it was about suffering through one-note, incessant, frantic boiler room speculation rather than excitement about the actual material itself, and I stopped flogging that horse.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 hours ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

Relating to the other thread, wouldn't it be funny if the final DC comic had a cover that had the DCU revert to baby chimps?!  The final devolution!  The end is the beginning!  :wink:

and a few dozen variant covers.

14 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Rather pathetic. 

Well, we *are* on the chat boards of a company that exists to seal comics inside of cases, so I would expect the dialogue here to be more about collecting rather than the content.