• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bye Bye DC Comics?
2 2

204 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2020 at 8:11 PM, MisterX said:

No, Rich Johnson is also speculating, if you just click on the article. 

It's been reported elsewhere.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/25/viacomcbs-sells-simon-schuster-to-penguin-random-house-for-2-billion.html?fbclid=IwAR0tNEgZbtR8L4ClYoY63QG7oyuGmyHnaaNfWlABxbr2JQ8jwEEbrm_UYYo

On 11/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, WoWitHurts said:

They should cease comic books and simply license the characters out. A smaller more nimble publisher could make it profitable. The last time I was at the DC offices was in 96. The chairs in the reception room were actually art pieces by  Shiro Kuramata (How High the Moon chair). Manhattan real estate Is ridiculous expensive. I can get Batman made from my shed and the end user would not see a difference in quality. Their overhead is stupid high for them.

DC is no longer in New York. They moved to California a few years ago.

It did get overwhelming trying to follow either the MCU or DCU. It is probably why when I have read comics it has been more stand alone titles like WD, Chew, Goon, etc. I like the MCU characters, but it is so hard keep track of all the history and 11,000 reboots. So, ironically, yeah, I don't read the insides of the big two all that often, but do read the insides of the other companies. Go figure.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:22 AM, Buzzetta said:

The future of DC is a real discussion but it has less to do with the criticism or being 'woke' as Bleeding Fool cites.  We have been saying it for years.  Comics in the monthly format are in the decline and the industry needs to be gutted and rebuilt from the ground up if it wishes to survive.  

So Marvel did that in 1990's before the Internet Age.

When the current US president leaves, the business world will be in chaos for a while before the economy will be stable again.

Edited by JollyComics

1 hour ago, MAR1979 said:

For many DC Comics went Bye Bye on Sept 1, 2011. Stabbed 52 times by Didio, Lee, and playing the role of Judas, Geoff Johns

Looking back, just the pretence of a new direction. A few good titles, a lot of mediocrity; the same as always with a new veneer.  I don’t really see it as a significant tipping point, just shallow marketing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

25 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Looking back, just the pretence of a new direction. A few good titles, a lot of mediocrity; the same as always with a new veneer.  I don’t really see it as a significant tipping point, just shallow marketing.

I knew when they did it it was same stuff, ALL NEW packaging.  
Like laundry detergent-its always NEW IMPROVED!!! 
L@@K!!!!
Tide plus Advertisement / shikar shathik - YouTube

9 minutes ago, kav said:

I knew when they did it it was same stuff, ALL NEW packaging.  
Like laundry detergent-its always NEW IMPROVED!!! 
L@@K!!!!
Tide plus Advertisement / shikar shathik - YouTube

That’s a very good analogy.

"Our books aint sellin?  Anyone got any ideas?"
"How about we hire good writers, have good stories"
"Uh--anyone else?"
"How bout we reboot?"
"GOLD!!"
"We can do more variant covers too!"
"GOLD! GOLD! GOLD!"
"Uh guys that didnt work the last 10 times we tried it-"
"THIS IS GONNA BE A GOLD MINE!!!"
"Uh-"

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

You know, when 52 launched, I decided to try the whole line. Picked up one of those bundles from DCBS where you could get all of the first and second issues for half off or whatever. I did that for 1-3, I think. There were some fun ideas and cool creative teams, and I got into the clean slate approach, as there were a lot of characters and titles I'd never have read otherwise. I dropped most after the third issue, I think I kept up with Demon Knights (which I still think was a fun and very nicely drawn book), Frankenstein Agent of SHADE, Justice League Dark and I Vampire, until they were canceled. Otherwise, within a year, I was back to just picking Batman, Justice League, and Wonder Woman, which is what I'd been buying before the relaunch anyway. 

So, yeah, it didn't stick for me personally, or a lot of folks, I guess. But I can't really say that what was coming out previous to 52 was much better, you know? Like you said, creatively, as far as the quality of the content, there was no real tipping point, unless someone is particularly fond of Wally West, apparently. That dude and his fans can't catch a break!

The last time that I was REALLY into DC was that period between Identity Crisis and Final Crisis, which contained all of the Countdown minis, Infinite Crisis, 52, etc. It just seemed like editorially they really had the whole line humming, and mostly in sync. Those were my favorite DC times since I was a kid in the 80's. But after Final Crisis it seemed like if all kinda fell apart again. One Year Later, Countdown weekly, Trinity, none of it caught me at all.

So, why not 52? I'm sure I'm not the only one whose interest in DC had mostly dropped. And then, yeah, my interest fell off again. Rebirth gave another spike, but once again, after a few months, I was back to just Batman, Justice League and Wonder Woman.

And these days, I don't buy any DC floppies at all. Sold most of my runs (except for the sentimental stuff from my youth), and otherwise I keep up with Batman, Justice League and WW in hardcover form. So, if DC were to call it a day on publishing monthlies, it won't affect me at all, as a reader. But I'd really hate it for the shops, because I know there are still a lot of those Wednesday warriors out there that the shops depend on, who want DC monthlies, and I don't know that shops can survive without them.

As long as comic books are being published, someone will make Batman and Superman comics books. That's just how it is. The thing is, at some point, paper publishing WILL go away. I'm not saying it's in the next five years, or even in our lifetime, but at some point, the final Batman periodical comic will be published, and that will be a sad day indeed.

14 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I was unaware. California overhead probably isn't much better.

I'm sure California is expensive too. But they're in Burbank, where the Warner Brothers studios are. If there was existing space there that DC could make use of, maybe not so pricey? I don't know whether that is the case, but I imagine they figured it was better if they had all of the teams overseeing all of the different media in the same place

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

You know, when 52 launched, I decided to try the whole line. Picked up one of those bundles from DCBS where you could get all of the first and second issues for half off or whatever

Didn’t they also make the weird decision of publishing all the first issues together in a single omnibus edition, despite many of them being intros to multi-part storylines?

A bit pointless without follow-up volumes.

Edited by Ken Aldred

29 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Didn’t they also make the weird decision of publishing all the first issues together in a single omnibus edition, despite many of them being intros to multi-part storylines?

A bit pointless without follow-up volumes.

Indeed they did! That's one that I skipped, because as you pointed out, it's really not a story at all. Same with the Year Zero and Villains Month and Rebirth omnis. Definitely not something I'm going to revisit as a reader, at least not in that form.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, JollyComics said:

So Marvel did that in 1990's before the Internet Age.

When the current US president leaves, the business world will be in chaos for a while before the economy will be stable again.

The stock market is taking off like a rocket. It isn't like Fidel Castro just got elected. 

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm sure California is expensive too. But they're in Burbank, where the Warner Brothers studios are. If there was existing space there that DC could make use of, maybe not so pricey? I don't know whether that is the case, but I imagine they figured it was better if they had all of the teams overseeing all of the different media in the same place

Seriously, DC comics should probably take about 500 square feet of office space at this point.

49 minutes ago, Hamdingers said:

I've stuck with DC through all the reboots but if this Future State garbage is the new normal then I am out anyway.

If DC goes bye bye then the other good news is we won't have any more variant covers :banana:

Marvel does them too. Independent companies always use virgin covers.