• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robin sucks

65 posts in this topic

Most of you are aware that when the 'Tec 40 cover was drawn, it was The Joker.  However, it was intended as the cover for the 2nd Joker story, which instead appeared in Batman #1.  So the 'Tec 40 cover was then used to accompany its Clayface story.

Edited by EC Star&Bar

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Sorry Clayface, you're right.  I got used to thinking it was Joker lol

3 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Most of you are aware that when the 'Tec 40 cover was drawn, it was The Joker.  However, it was intended as the cover for the 2nd Joker story, which instead appeared in Batman #1.  So the 'Tec 40 cover was then used to accompany its Clayface story.

Well, I believe that the cover for 'Tec 40 is now acknowledged by collectors to be the key first Joker cover.  This is also very clearly designated as such in the Overstreet Guide with 'Tec 62 now listed as the 2nd Joker cover and Bat 11 grabbing the Bronze medal as the 3rd Joker cover.  :gossip:

Looks like we had a very very short thread on this (i.e. 2 posts only) way back in 2006 with the following definite response:  (thumbsu

On 4/14/2006 at 8:29 AM, nearmint said:

I think this was all resolved about ten years ago. At the time, Detective #40 had been considered the first Joker cover. Then someone came along and said "Uh, guys, that can't be the Joker. There isn't even a Joker story in that issue."

Everyone figured okay, it's a crappy rendering of Clayface, and for a short period, the focus shifted to Detective #62(I remember I quickly picked up three copies).

Then, there seemed to be some inconsistency in arrival marks on copies of Detective #62 and Batman #11, and for a time attention shifted to Batman #11.

Finally, someone else came along and said "Uh, guys, the Joker might not appear in Detective #40, but that image on the cover is practically a mirror image of a Joker panel from Batman #1.

So, I think we're back to where we started. Detective #40 is the first Joker cover, Detective #62 is the 2nd, and Batman #11 is the 3rd.

As I recall, Mark Wilson was heavily involved in all these discussions.

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Robin eventually grew up and gave us the hottest thing in the entire Bat-family, Nightwing's butt. Thus, Robin has had more value than most other comic characters in existence. Fact.

nightwings-butt-and-ass.thumb.jpg.1405fbd6a58fffead420975a3448c8d2.jpg

That's a nice collection of butts you've got there. You've been working on this, I see.

Robin grew up to lead the Teen Titans (a book which in the 80's pulled DC's fat out of the fire by going toe to toe with the hottest comic at the time from the distinguished publisher Uncanny X-Men). 

The team is a fixture in pop culture today in animated form, with Robin still in the lead.

He inspired Bucky, Davy, Davey, Roy, Tim, Dusty, Kitten, Cap Jr, Sandy, Speedy, Toro, and a host of others. What would many of those golden age covers be without those brats tied up and needing saving by the hero...

Oh wait, never mind...

(but as leader of the Titans, i am a Robin fan though :fear: )

But Robin sold and that's all publishers cared about. Kids liked Robin and could identify with him and Batman comics skyrocketed in popularity after the introduction of Robin, which is why publishers gave almost every one of their superheros a kid sidekick after that. I prefer cheesy, stupid Batman anyway and don't like trying to make superheros realistic and serious like comics of the last 40 years and the modern superhero movies. blah.

So you are saying you don't like this? lol ...

29.thumb.jpg.51fe409c4db1e927e28bab8259288e96.jpg

33.thumb.jpg.1dc8f2d8e22443ddce30ed2d5765d7f1.jpg

Edited by catman76

21 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Robin eventually grew up and gave us the hottest thing in the entire Bat-family, Nightwing's butt. Thus, Robin has had more value than most other comic characters in existence. Fact.

nightwings-butt-and-ass.thumb.jpg.1405fbd6a58fffead420975a3448c8d2.jpg

Dear God...