• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Luke Cage #1- Does overspray adversely affect grade if I send this in?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

without considering the blue goop, Id say a 6.5- 7.0. Only CGC is going to be able to make an estimate of the ding you'll get for the extra color. It certainly is all over it and is a distraction.  I had an ASM 121 that had a miniscule drop of print ink on the back and it was a very clean dot. about 18th inch across.  They dinged it from another I had as a 9.2 down to an 8.5. They were identical books but for the drop.  

Edited by Glassman10

Welcome to the boards!

Agree with the gent above; it looks more midgrade than high grade. I'm thinking probably not a great submission candidate in any case, as the ink will reduce the resale value.

Answering the title question, on this comic, yes, it will adversely affect grade. Normal distributor ink is considered part of the distribution process. Moderate overspray mostly keeps books out of the very high grades. But this? This book has distributor ink in places nowhere near what "normal" overspray would produce. All down the back cover spine? Yikes. In spots halfway down the spine on the front cover? Yikes-er.

If this was otherwise flawless, well... that's sort of a moot point, because it's not. The UL corner is dog-eared and breaks color. There are at least three color breaking spine ticks plus some general spine wear. UR corner is a little weak, too, and looks like it may have a soft crease. Back cover has at least two soft creases near the reading edge, and I can't tell if lightning is just being uncooperative or if there's some discoloration there. There certainly looks to be discoloration at back cover bottom.

I think this would probably be a 6.5 book, plus or minus a grade, before accounting for the overspray. CGC will do what they want with that, but it's so pervasive and -- more critically -- so out of place, that I assume they'll consider at least some of it to be staining. All in all, you might get a 6.0 out of this book, but if it came back as low as a 5.0, I wouldn't be entirely surprised (especially if that back edge really is discolored).

So the question then is, what are your plans for this book? If it's for a personal collection, well... prices are pretty flat between, say, 5.5 and 7.0 on this book. You'd be much happier to budget for a 7.0 or attractive 6.5, or outlay a little more for something in the 7.5-8.5 range. But if this isn't a personal book, you'd have to find a buyer who wants this blue mess. That same run of fairly flat prices really works against you, because copies in higher grades, and without less blue simply aren't that much more expensive. Which is a lot of words to say... I wouldn't consider slabbing this.

Without the spray, I see a 6.5ish book. The back cover shows some wear and some dust/sun shadow along the bottom, along with some faint indents. They hammer that shade along the bottom so maybe even 6.0. The spray, while visually distracting, should not come into play in this grade range but if so, a 0.5 downgrade at most.

To summarize, I am actually at 6.0 overall and I don't think the spray is the main contributor to that. 

On 11/26/2020 at 6:33 PM, The Lions Den said:

I've seen books with that much distro ink get hit pretty hard before. I'd be thinking Fine range...

+1   And unfortunately, since the book's eye appeal is taking a massive hit broadside due to the effect of the extraneous ink, it's marketability and eventual sales price will be adversely impacted. 

On 11/27/2020 at 1:21 AM, Qalyar said:

All in all, you might get a 6.0 out of this book, but if it came back as low as a 5.0, I wouldn't be entirely surprised (especially if that back edge really is discolored).

This is actually the range I've seen books with this much distro ink fall to...certainly possible.  :flamed: