• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is grading right now? Tight? Loose?
4 4

46 posts in this topic

A friend of mine just got back the results of a 34 book modern submission.  He received 23 9.8s and the lowest graded copies were 2 9.4s.  Almost all different key issues.  He was pretty happy.  

Ive had a few friends the past couple months submit several hundred books between them.  Everything from GA to modern.  They’ve all said that they thought almost everything was graded fairly with only a few exceptions here or there, which happens.

8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Same old random CGC carp. If you crack a lot of books, you see this all the time.

Sure, but it makes it tough to run a business when you're relying on consistency.

If I'm resubmitting CGC books after having them pressed and MUCH improved and they still stay the same grade, then you KNOW there is a problem and that it's not just my opinion.

And I realize that pressing alone doesn't guarantee and improved the grade but the reason I mentioned some of my results up there in that last post is to show that I DO KNOW how to grade. So it's results that I'm getting back AFTER improving a previously CGC graded book AND screening it carefully myself that I really really scratch my head at.

Based on how there seems to be an inconsistency between batches and not actual time periods I think it may be a group of graders that some are tighter than others.

50 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Sure, but it makes it tough to run a business when you're relying on consistency.

If I'm resubmitting CGC books after having them pressed and MUCH improved and they still stay the same grade, then you KNOW there is a problem and that it's not just my opinion.

And I realize that pressing alone doesn't guarantee and improved the grade but the reason I mentioned some of my results up there in that last post is to show that I DO KNOW how to grade. So it's results that I'm getting back AFTER improving a previously CGC graded book AND screening it carefully myself that I really really scratch my head at.

Based on how there seems to be an inconsistency between batches and not actual time periods I think it may be a group of graders that some are tighter than others.

I have to say, the track record I have had with ordering raws from you is waaaaaaaaaaay better than the cracking record I have had on CGC books.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I have to say, the track record I have had with ordering raws from you is waaaaaaaaaaay better than the cracking record I have had on CGC books.

I appreciate that.

One of the reasons I'm peeved about grading inconsistency is it also affects my own raw sales. If you remember that my raw sales thread from June, all of the books i sold were very tightly graded by me but if CGC is going through a tighter period, that means that books that I sold in various grades may not get the advertised grades on some submissions.

And that doesn't mean that my grades were 'wrong'.

It's frustrating.

20 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Roy is one of the tightest graders on Earth. If he says they're too tight, they probably are. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... CGC does downgrade for fingerprints now ... this wasn't always the case. This likely accounts for a lot of the butthurt.

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

... CGC does downgrade for fingerprints now ... this wasn't always the case. This likely accounts for a lot of the butthurt.

They don't like fingerprints in their what? :eek: