• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Classic Cover not officially recognized as Classic Cover books!
3 3

92 posts in this topic

A lot of the auction houses use "classic cover" in the description even though "classic cover" is not recognized in the CGC label.  So here's to all those Classic covers that actually should be recognized as Classic formally.  I'll go ahead and start with this "Classic Robot Cover" - post yours but only if it actually does NOT have classic on the label

59527826718__6DBC47E3-344A-4E38-9C88-3C8F34EFBA88.JPG

9 hours ago, atomised said:

A lot of the auction houses use "classic cover" in the description even though "classic cover" is not recognized in the CGC label.  So here's to all those Classic covers that actually should be recognized as Classic formally.  I'll go ahead and start with this "Classic Robot Cover" - post yours but only if it actually does NOT have classic on the label

59527826718__6DBC47E3-344A-4E38-9C88-3C8F34EFBA88.JPG

Still an under-rated book. One of my favorites!!!

On 11/23/2020 at 8:51 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Six stand-out cover classics that immediately come to mind...

65fe5fef-ff2c-41f2-a3eb-4de9cbb5300f_zpsj0axbd92.jpg.ace7c496c60fb68eed24c3ba2ae1b847.jpg

0c862f4c-347b-40a1-8cb8-45f96c424903_zpsqlxvpqss.jpg.340b647e0132886a4834b263e040741e.jpg

18643f1f-b81a-4672-94c9-54e6554356bc_zps3qqhfovs.jpg.f807696c948637e54688e8f927c16940.jpg

715f925f-e151-4176-a09b-951436aaa3c3_zpsamyhgsln.jpg.e1b7178cdbd9768ea82ff83552dc043d.jpg

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zpsf9pymtyj.jpg.ee9b304548648662d7fc47fc770a179d.jpg

716ec883-a171-4eca-8a71-1c57b3b13b2f_zpsgsvam9p0.jpg.f6980e423d72daa52554283930e51372.jpg

Admittedly this is my subjective POV, but given the caliber of art & execution of each, they're all classics. 

:tink:

I'm right there with Mystic #2 and Marvel Mystery #66. The other ones, although awsome covers, just don't quite hit the "classic" status of these two. But just one humble collector's opinion...

I believe some are missing the point of this thread. When we are discussing "classic" covers we are talking about probably 4 different senarios.

1.) Books that individuals love and consider "classic"

2.) Books that the marketplace as a hole deem "classic"

3.) Books that Overstreet deems "classic"

4.) Books that CGC deem "classic"

I believe that you are refering to point #4.

I have very few slabs. Mostly books I want for the cover for the most part or ones, I've just accumulated. I often crack them out because I want to read and revel in them. Some of my slabs I have readers of, some I do not. The ones I do not often get cracked.

Here are a few of my favorites that seem quite "popular" for their covers at the moment. These were bought mainly because I love the covers or they were purchases of "opportunity". All are slabbed with no "classic" cover notation.

comdownwithcrime7lot2.jpg

comcaseycrimephotographer2a.jpg

comcrimeclinic11.jpg

comcrimemustpaythepenalty30.jpg

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I believe some are missing the point of this thread. When we are discussing "classic" covers we are talking about probably 4 different senarios.

1.) Books that individuals love and consider "classic"

2.) Books that the marketplace as a hole deem "classic"

3.) Books that Overstreet deems "classic"

4.) Books that CGC deem "classic"

I believe that you are refering to point #4.

I have very few slabs. Mostly books I want for the cover for the most part or ones, I've just accumulated. I often crack them out because I want to read and revel in them. Some of my slabs I have readers of, some I do not. The ones I do not often get cracked.

Here are a few of my favorites that seem quite "popular" for their covers at the moment. These were bought mainly because I love the covers or they were purchases of "opportunity". All are slabbed with no "classic" cover notation.

comdownwithcrime7lot2.jpg

comcaseycrimephotographer2a.jpg

comcrimeclinic11.jpg

comcrimemustpaythepenalty30.jpg

Actually, I think the point of the thread might’ve been adding a personal perspective on great covers that haven’t been recognized as classic by Overstreet or third party grading services.  At least we’re in total agreement on Mystic Vol. 2 #2 and MM #66.

Defending choices could provide a broader range of criteria for future determination of what’s classic.  For instance, three of the six covers in my post above were by Alex Schomburg.  He already has plenty of highly regarded classic covers, but none of those posted have been identified as such. Even though it’s doubtful my two cents will influence guardians of the classic kingdom, ...I’ll try anyway.

IMO, the Human Torch #5 stands out among the Torch/Subby battle books; it was among the covers Jim Steranko chose to use in his History of the Comics, probably because it’s so iconic.  

Hit #18 is one of the rare GA cover illustrations that Reed Crandall signed.  Who knows, perhaps he signed it because this was the first solo cover he did for Quality after apprenticing under Lou Fine.  Interestingly, Crandall usually avoided signing his own work even though Quality's publisher “Busy” Arnold kept pushing him to do so.  In any case he must’ve thought this bridge spanning art came out pretty good because he did sign it.  

Jack Binder’s cover on Prize #20 has the most detailed architectural work I’ve ever seen on a comic and all of the Prize characters featured on a uniquely patriotic themed cover without any suggestion of violence.  This book literally came out as the U.S. was entering WWII.  Binder's signature on this is also quite clever.

And Marvel Mystery #28 with it’s underworld gnomes and acid pot full of skeletal remains is both over the top and well rendered if you’ll excuse the pun.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t take issue with anything you said. Now, it’s time for me to grab an ale and dodge bullet points. 

Cheers,

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Edited after tornado alert (I kid you not).

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Actually, I think the point of the thread might’ve been adding a personal perspective on great covers that haven’t been recognized as classic by Overstreet or third party grading services.  At least we’re in total agreement on Mystic Vol. 2 #2 and MM #66.

Defending choices could provide a broader range of criteria for future determination of what’s classic.  For instance, three of the six covers in my post above were by Alex Schomburg.  He already has plenty of highly regarded classic covers, but none of those posted have been identified as such. Even though it’s doubtful my two cents will influence guardians of the classic kingdom, ...I’ll try anyway.

IMO, the Human Torch #5 stands out among the Torch/Subby battle books; it was among the covers Jim Steranko chose to use in his History of the Comics, probably because it’s so iconic.  

Hit #18 is one of the rare GA cover illustrations that Reed Crandall signed.  Who knows, perhaps he signed it because this was the first solo cover he did for Quality after apprenticing under Lou Fine.  Interestingly, Crandall usually avoided signing his own work even though Quality's publisher “Busy” Arnold kept pushing him to do so.  In any case he must’ve thought this bridge spanning art came out pretty good because he did sign it.  

Jack Binder’s cover on Prize #20 has the most detailed architectural work I’ve ever seen on a comic and all of the Prize characters featured on a uniquely patriotic themed cover without any suggestion of violence.  This book literally came out as the U.S. was entering WWII.  Binder's signature on this is also quite clever.

And Marvel Mystery #28 with it’s underworld gnomes and acid pot full of skeletal remains is both over the top and well rendered if you’ll excuse the pun.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t take issue with anything you said. Now, it’s time for me to grab an ale and dodge bullet points. 

Cheers,

I’m glad you included Hit #20. Binder deserves more “classic cover” designations. He did incredible stuff during his era.

4 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

I’m glad you included Hit #20. Binder deserves more “classic cover” designations. He did incredible stuff during his era.

True, and thanks for that! PRIZE #20 (Jack Binder) and HIT #18 (Reed Crandall) are beautiful compositions.  From my obviously biased perspective both covers are first tier GA art and perhaps worthy of consideration as classics.  (thumbsu