• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Tips Before I Buy Heat Press
3 3

68 posts in this topic

One of the most important things for me is making sure the top platen is free of scratches, gouges, etc. Other than that, I firmly believe that in most cases you get what you pay for. If you are buying used, and you try to skimp, you could end up with a clunker. Spend a little more $ and try to find one that is "like new". Could save you a bunch of headaches down the road.

Edited by Motor City Rob

2 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

One of the most important things for me is making sure the too platen is free of scratches, gouges, etc. Other than that, I firmly believe that in most cases you get what you pay for. If you are buying used, and you try to skimp, you could end up with a clunker. Spend a little more $ and try to find one that is "like new". Could save you a bunch of headaches down the road.

Yeah In general when it comes to something mechanical I usually buy new for that reason 

On 11/23/2020 at 2:25 AM, littledoom said:

Hi all, I plan to buy a heat press. I there anything I should make sure to look for or avoid when buying a press for comics online? Thanks in advance

curious only, is there a significant cost vs. benefit for owning it? for instance, doing the pressing for self and also charging a lower amount to do for others, or doing enough submitting for self  books that would benefit from pressing, that it is a significant cost savings difference....even with maintenance, time, etc.? 

On 11/23/2020 at 12:25 AM, littledoom said:

Hi all, I plan to buy a heat press. I there anything I should make sure to look for or avoid when buying a press for comics online? Thanks in advance

How many books do you own that will benefit from a press?  If you are thinking about doing it for part time income, I suggest you do more research. 

8 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

One of the most important things for me is making sure the too platen is free of scratches, gouges, etc. Other than that, I firmly believe that in most cases you get what you pay for. If you are buying used, and you try to skimp, you could end up with a clunker. Spend a little more $ and try to find one that is "like new". Could save you a bunch of headaches down the road.

How long to you typically leave comics in for?

I mean there are so many mistakes one can make with pressing.  However, pressers do not like to share their secrets.  You can watch youtube videos and experiment with drek, not sure of another way to learn to press.
@joeypost

22 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Heat is the worst thing for newsprint. All comics that are brown and brittle are because of being in a hot environment. extreme heat even for a small amount of time cannot be good for newsprint

I suspect all heat pressed books will have issues 20 or so years down the line.  Maybe sooner.

6 hours ago, littledoom said:

How long to you typically leave comics in for?

Don’t listen to these guys. For heavy creasing 2-3 hours. About half that for light creasing. You are going to want to set the temp just ever so slightly above 450 degrees. Those creases won’t stand a chance!  Enjoy!

the first time I used a heatpress on a comic was trying out the press my friend thehumantorch had purchased.

He had an old Battle in rough shape and i put it into the press at 250 for a few minutes.

When i took it out the entire spine of the cover split in half.