• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detailed info on CGC restored grading with screenshots and link

6 posts in this topic

I appreciate these videos and it is good to see behind the scenes as to how the process works. I was a bit surprised to see not much technology is used in the process (e.g. black lighting for color touch, spectrometers for page quality, etc..). It makes me realize that I might be over thinking the process. I have been disappointed lately by several books that have come back B-1's. These are books that I have had in my collection for 30+ years so who knows but I think I am done buying anything raw. One ask for CGC is to include images of the restoration in the grader notes (fine if it is an additional amount) and an opinion of if it could be removed by your service. Once it goes in the slab it is hard to then figure out what one missed. 

18 minutes ago, Bladak said:

I appreciate these videos and it is good to see behind the scenes as to how the process works. I was a bit surprised to see not much technology is used in the process (e.g. black lighting for color touch, spectrometers for page quality, etc..). It makes me realize that I might be over thinking the process. I have been disappointed lately by several books that have come back B-1's. These are books that I have had in my collection for 30+ years so who knows but I think I am done buying anything raw. One ask for CGC is to include images of the restoration in the grader notes (fine if it is an additional amount) and an opinion of if it could be removed by your service. Once it goes in the slab it is hard to then figure out what one missed. 

It's not uncommon for the average collector to miss restoration. That is one of the advantages of buying slabbed books...

The one thing I’ve seen noted on slabs that isn’t addressed here is “Apparent” without the A-C grading note and/or how it affects the grade. May leave it in the YouTube comments, now that I think of it, to get their input on the matter.